Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Roberta »

I used 1000, 1500, 3000 and 5000 3M Trizact sanding pads wet. They are available in various diameters for different buffers. I used 6" on an air powered RO sander. After that I used 3M perfect it products with the recommended foam pads. Like Ken said, a lot of work.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Built SeaRey and RV-7A
Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

Here's a video describing the compound-free 3M™ Perfect-It™ 1-Step Paint Finishing System :
Purchase your 3M products from a local automotive paint / body shop supply retailer. A good shop will supply you with the right product and pro advice.

Follow the link below for more info on buffing varnish and paint finishes :

Click Image to see video.

Paul Kane
Kane Custom Boats Ltd.
Chelsea, Quebec

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base
kens

Post by kens »

What kind of lighting is in your garage?
You still got those old school fluorescent tubes fixtures?
If so, fluoroescent lighting will show imperfections that go away out in the sun.
An old body shop trick was to always deliver a repaired car outside in the sun.

I have not yet experimented with the new LED's
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl, the paint look really great! I know how hard that is after all the horrible experience I had trying to Roll/Brush my hull; yours looks amazing! I use the polisher/polish that Jimbob recommends (but I wet sand) (I think he recommended it to me a few yrs ago).

the windows look really good as well, congrats for keeping moving forward!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sorry I didn't get back to answer yesterday, I was gone most of the day, scouting out potential places to store the boat. I found a few potential places, and I found a lot of places I won't be using. I think the biggest challenge will be balancing the need for a place to store against the unfortunate part of having to get on waiting lists for a spot and at the same time trying to avoid renting a spot for several months before I am ready to move the boat.

I took all of your suggestions into account and decided to give the multi sanding with finer grit approach a try. I've got finer grits coming and will try again later this week. I also think that I am going to tackle this in smaller chunks rather than try and get it all done over a couple of days. I nearly killed myself with the previous sanding, and although I expect this will be physically a bit easier, the amount of times I will have to gove over the boat will more than make up for it. I don't want to get burnt out and I wan to be able to work on other tasks at the same time.

Today, I've been sealing all the windows on one side. I'll let that cure for a couple of days and then do the other sies. Messy job!

PXL_20211205_190321261.jpg
PXL_20211205_190309881.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise - "Can Do!"
nc721

Post by nc721 »

Window are looking real good Carl
Nick
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Not having much knowledge on trailering, is there any consensus on transom bow eye diameters used for tying down the boat to the trailer. 3/8", 1/2" or bigger. Welded outer nuts versus more common (and less expensive) dual nuts? The welded outer nuts look nicer, but the only ones I can find that have enough thread length are 5/8" and cost $70.00 each. And as I mentioned, the more universal types are available for considerably less but all the ones I found with welded nuts were too short in length. I guess when it comes to boat parts, fiberglass rules!!
Carl

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Go with the same diameter as your bow eye. How long does the shaft need to be?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

My dad had a ski boat with something like the brackets shown in the link below. We used them to attach ski ropes and the trailer straps to. Attach with some long beefy screws.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCB0H9O/re ... 34SX397HHS

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Carl, are you just looking for two to hold the transom down on the trailer? There are some in the Glen L catalog in the Inboard hardware section under "Bow Eyes". I used this style on the Torpedo transom, but I used 1/2". Do a search for this type. Here is a link to one source with a variety of choices.

Roberta

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/boat- ... -tows.html
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Built SeaRey and RV-7A
Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

Bow eyes used to be in the Glen-L Inboard Hardware Catalog. They are listed in the Glenwood Marine Equipment Catalog. Glen-L may be able to order them for you.

It looks like N/A items are being deleted from the catalog. The items should be left in the catalog and another field should be added to reflect availability.

Bow eyes - Cast manganese bronze chrome. See Item # 701 :

IMG_5786_400x267.jpg
IMG_5786_400x267.jpg (49.62 KiB) Viewed 3790 times

Click here for a larger view.

Click Image to see video.

Paul Kane
Kane Custom Boats Ltd.
Chelsea, Quebec

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After mulling it over for awhile I decided to stick with 3/8" since this is the size in the bow. They are still rated at approx 3500 pounds each so I don't think they 'll be an issue. As for the types, there is a slight distinction between bow eyes and stern eyes. The bow eyes have two similar sized plates whereas the stern eyes have a larger plate for inside the transom. Not a deal breaker for sure as flat plates are easy enough to make, but I also wanted welded nuts for the outside. I eventually found some nice ones with long enough threads and as a bonus, I found a stainless steel vent to replace the ugly white ABS I had originally acquired for my toilet vent, so I picked up one of those as well.

I've gotten four of the six windows completely sealed now, with the other two sealed on one side, so I will wrapping that up shortly. Also in the window department, I tried ordering some antique looking brass latches to lock the windows closed, but they ended up being too big, so I've returned them. I've decided instead to make them from wood. It'll be a little tedious to make all of those, but they will look good and be easier to install.

Tomorrow, I begin the process of jumping through Texas bureaucratic hoops to get my trailer titled.The sheriff's department has to inspect it to make sure it doesn't look like a stolen trailer. Then, I have to get an appraisal from a licensed trailer dealer. We have a local business that I believe can do this. I'll know more tomorrow.

I am still waiting for the remainder of the fine sanding discs so I can resume work on the finish of the exterior. all's well in Waterworld! :D :D
Carl

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Getting a trailer title and registration is a hassle. I keep a shoe box full of old license plates for trailers. I have 4 trailers and not one of them is legal, don’t know what the fine is because I’ve never gotten a ticket.
Good luck with yours,
Matt B
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I got lucky with my trailer. Yesterday, I went to have the Sheriff's department do an inspection and that went well enough. While there, the sheriff, said he didn't understand why they were asking me to get a bonded title since I appeared to have everything needed.

It turns out that the tax department I visited last week had made a mistake. My trailer, which was purchased out of state by the previous owner, wsas not required to be titled in that state because it's empty weight was below some value which I forgot, but think was around 2500 pounds. Because it wasn't required to be titled there, it was not necessary for me to go through the process of getting a bonded title in Texas. I found all this out this morning and was able to complete the title transfer with no more hassles. So it's officially mine now. Yay!

SO another milestone and task checked off. Trailer, insurance on both boat and trailer, motor ordered, and boat painted. I finished sealing the windows this morning and will be finishing up varnish work by tomorrow. That leaves polishing the boat and starting assembly of the remaining components and installing all the boat parts I have in storage. :D :D :D
Carl

kens

Post by kens »

mrintense wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:01 pm I got lucky with my trailer. Yesterday, I went to have the Sheriff's department do an inspection and that went well enough. While there, the sheriff, said he didn't understand why they were asking me to get a bonded title since I appeared to have everything needed.

It turns out that the tax department I visited last week had made a mistake. My trailer, which was purchased out of state by the previous owner, wsas not required to be titled in that state because it's empty weight was below some value which I forgot, but think was around 2500 pounds. Because it wasn't required to be titled there, it was not necessary for me to go through the process of getting a bonded title in Texas. I found all this out this morning and was able to complete the title transfer with no more hassles. So it's officially mine now. Yay!

SO another milestone and task checked off. Trailer, insurance on both boat and trailer, motor ordered, and boat painted. I finished sealing the windows this morning and will be finishing up varnish work by tomorrow. That leaves polishing the boat and starting assembly of the remaining components and installing all the boat parts I have in storage. :D :D :D
WOW !! That sounds Great !
Now you can be at G16
We all want to see it. :D :lol:

Return to “Power Boats”