Restoring Tiny Titan replica >> just cut in two?

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

JeroenWe

Restoring Tiny Titan replica >> just cut in two?

Post by JeroenWe »

Hi all!

Recently I bought a project for my son and me. It's a Tiny Titan replica (12,3 feet long) made in Fiberglass.

In the front are some dents that I want to straighten out with (I think) wooden panels. I also need to reinforce the hull.
But I can't get there because it's all closed.

My first opinion is to just cut it in two so I can get inside the hull, reinforce everything, and put it together again. My first question is, where to cut? I can't see how it's molded together originally. I thought maybe like a butter-cup construction? (I hope you know what I mean)

Second question, how can I 'glue' both sides together again and be 100% sure the boat will be stable and safe.

Thank you for thinking with me!
Best regards from the Netherlands!

Jeroen
Attachments
IMG-20210421-WA0016.jpg

JimmY

Re: Restoring Tiny Titan replica >> just cut in two?

Post by JimmY »

Typically fiberglass boats are joined top and bottom along the edge. I would suggest to sand the paint off in a few places to see if you can find a seam.

As far as putting it back together, a good quality epoxy (West Systems, System3, MAS, etc...) will be your best bet. You may need/want to add a strip of fiberglass tape along the joint. Search through this forum to see how builders are glassing their hulls, or pick up a book on fiberglassing to figure out the process.

You might just look at building a Tiny Titan from scratch. It will probably be lighter and would also be a good project for you and your son.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

JeroenWe

Re: Restoring Tiny Titan replica >> just cut in two?

Post by JeroenWe »

Thank you for your quick response Jim!

I might consider to build a Tiny Titan from scratch :)

Return to “Fiberglass”