G-15 Alternative Location

Another Wonderful Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders is in the History Books.
Read all about it here!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

DrBryanJ

Re: G-15 Alternative Location

Post by DrBryanJ »

I was looking for something closer to Nashville for a river run, but didn't see anything.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

kens

Post by kens »

RV park is .8mi down same road.
there is another RV park 3mi up the road, but, this park is waterfront, accessible by boat, and is 1.0mi via boat, and it has a ramp/dock

Looking for a river run, Wildwoodresort is on mile 333.
Cordell Hull locks is mile 313.
I found Defeated Creek marina/restaurant on mile 317, a possible river run, 16 miles one way

Cordell Hull pool goes on up past mile 390 to Cumberland Lake & Dale Hollow lake.
If you lock down, you on Old Hickory lake and there is many restaurants/marinas/services on Old Hickory.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

It looks really nice. Lots to do and looks well organized and appointed. I will be willing to commit if someone nearby can find out if we could block enough space. Very nice cabin or room choices. I kinda like the houseboat. Looks like some nice venue for guitars and singing.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

As long as changes are being made, what about moving this thing back to October. The last few that I've been to at Hales Bar have been really hot, particularly in the afternoons when facing west right into the sun. BTW, we'd be facing directly west at Wildwood, too. And yes, I understand it was cold at the first couple held at Guntersville but they were at the end of October and them cold spells were anomalies. Can we give the first or second week of October a try?

The Wildwood place looks really nice and plus I think a lot of folks are just ready for a change. I say go for it.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

How about the last week of September? I would rather have hot weather than to freeze on a boat ride.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Hah! You see Roberta, you and I are on opposite ends of this wonderful you-ess-ov-eh. I noted your pictures you shared on a different thread of a Wisconsin gathering held a couple weeks ago. All of you were wearing jackets during the broad daylight. So by the time our Gathering comes around you're in the mood for some warm weather; whereas, us folks down in the south could use a break from the heat. Heck, here in Louisiana in mid September, I'm just itching and hoping for a day under 90.

Historical average high/low temperatures in Granville, TN is 84/59 in September and 73/47 in October. Early October should put us in the 70's for boat riding during the day and 60's for socializing fireside in the evening.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

84 is nice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be worried you southern boys could be thermal shocked with the extreme temperature change. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kens

Post by kens »

BayouBengal wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:26 pm
As long as changes are being made, what about moving this thing back to October. The last few that I've been to at Hales Bar have been really hot, particularly in the afternoons when facing west right into the sun. BTW, we'd be facing directly west at Wildwood, too. And yes, I understand it was cold at the first couple held at Guntersville but they were at the end of October and them cold spells were anomalies. Can we give the first or second week of October a try?

The Wildwood place looks really nice and plus I think a lot of folks are just ready for a change. I say go for it.
There are no changes 'being made' per-se.
This thread is intended to be open as an 'alternative option' in case Hales Bar continues to show a lack of maintenance on their venue.
However, with that being said, this new place is looking attractive regardless.
I have talked to the new venue, and exchanged email. Nothing further than that.
As posted above, Bill listed 9 items in the OP as venue credentials. I'm trying to keep in mind all 9.
NOBODY is gonna grade ANYPLACE as a 9 of 9. (everybody has their own gripe)
I'm trying to get some sort of commit form them that they really can accommodate our group.
If I can get some kind of 'commit' from them, I will post it up to the forum, or the G

..........I have talked to 4 different places this week, and taking in 1 or 2 transient boats is one thing, but taking in 20 boats transient is another thing altogether.........over a 3-day weekend.!!!!
.........later in October presents another thing.....fall colors.....people come out for that and take up a lot of space for reservations.
.........everybody I talked to has had a very busy summer due to COVID.....boating is ONE thing people do to 'social distance'.....and that is cramping reservations.

kens

Post by kens »

note: I have a tentative work trip 'penciled in' for late Sept.
That will traverse, Chattenooga, Nashville, Louisville, and if this really happens, I should be able to stop by the perspective place for a good look.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Yes, in October we may lose venues being willing to be as flexible with us on reserving the majority of an entire venue without total commitments on our part because October is getting back into peak bookings. The couple week period between Labor day and October is a bit of a sweet spot for booking when demand is lower. I'd motion for the last weekend in September, the 24-26th 2021, wherever the venue is. I'd rather sweat than freeze as well.

It looks like Wildwood has some really nice amenities we dont have currently, firepit in front of cabins, shade tree's for bayoubengal, :wink: super nice looking cabins and lodge. Logistically I think everything about Wildwood is harder though..

As we know, there is always the dockage issue. A few of my main concerns past that is the fact that there really isnt anywhere to go for contingency's, if we run out of lodging or have booking conflicts or folks decide last minute to come, they really wont have good alternatives. Currently, those issues can be covered conveniently by many nice hotels within 10-15 minutes drive of Hales Bar. At Wildwood they have one hotel 25 min away and another 35 min away. Same if you forget something, the nearest wal-mart is 25 min away so hope the marina store carries it. Also, an RV park a mile away just isnt the same as having those folks just across the parking lot, on the grounds. We've been spoiled being 1 mile off a major interstate currently but it seems like this place is kinda "out there". Don't get me wrong, I really like this place but I think it has more potential for things to go awry. Where Hales Bar is weak, Wildwood is strong and where Wildwood is weak, Hales Bar is strong.

kens

Post by kens »

Vupilot, Hales Bar is, yes, 1 mile from the interstate, but, you still have to drive 15-20 minutes to get anywhere for shopping or hotels.
it's 20 minutes to Kimball
For all practical purposes, Hales Bar is 20 minutes from anywhere.
Why is that any different than Wildwood?

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

I just think its worth considering that options outside the resort are more limited and twice as far. Maybe I am the only one that it concerns.

The last 2 times I have come I have stayed at hotels because my schedule cleared up within a month of the Gathering to come and cabins were no longer available. At Hales Bar its 12-15 minutes depending which direction you go and there are a lot more options than I see near Wildwood. It would definitively factor in my decision to come on a last minute decision if space at the resort wasnt available. This may be true of most places we look at outside of Hales Bar but we need to look at the entire scope of a decision. We want a place we can grow with and this plus the RV park situation I think are concerns worth considering during an in person visit.

I can make the drive there and home in one day, so if some folks want to setup a meeting and a few of us check it out in person, I am happy to.

kens

Post by kens »

yes, we should check it out,

also, I was searching google earth following the rivers and stumbled across this:
http://www.eucheemarinaresort.com/

notice in their marina description they specifically say they can handle 'your regatta'
do we qualify as a regatta??

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

It looks pretty nice. Those floating cabins look awful familiar.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

There is another place that looks nice up that direction. Bluewater resort near Dayton, TN. https://www.bluewaterdayton.com/ It was mentioned a few years ago on the forum as a place to look into but I dont think anyone ever followed up on it. It looks super nice and appears to have enough possible dockage. They have what looks to be at least a 16 unit log lodge complex, RV camping, pool, pavilion, boat ramp right on site and its very close to town. Here is an overall map of the grounds.
https://www.bluewaterdayton.com/wp-cont ... 200114.jpg

I could get pretty excited about checking this one out.

Return to “Gathering 2020”