Squirt Boat Cover

All things related to upholstering your boat.

Moderator: billy c

JimmY

Squirt Boat Cover

Post by JimmY »

Hi All,

I've been using a "one size fits most" boat cover to protect my Squirt while it is on the lift at the lake. Last year, some of the clear started to fail where the cover didn't cover the side on the southern side of the boat. So, I've taken it on to sew a custom cover to better protect it while it is not in use.

Another similar boat on the lake had a custom cover, and it was made locally and cost ~$500. I've purchased all of the materials from sailrite.com for about $250 and watched several of their how-to videos on patterning and sewing boat covers. The PWC cover video was the most similar to what I plan on doing and the snap on boat cover video has a lot of additional information and techniques. The new cover will have a single support pole with a vented top and will bridge to the outboard and bow to keep the cover off the deck as much as possible. The sides will fully cover the sides of the boat, so UV damage should be minimal.

I'm using my wife's Viking sewing machine (she hasn't made a quilt in a while), and a sharp leather needle. It has not had any issues going through 4+ layers of marine grade canvass (Top Notch 9).

I started by using strapping tape to layout the seams and outline of the covering panels.
20210411_135729.jpg
20210411_135738.jpg
20210411_135744.jpg
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

JimmY

Re: Squirt Boat Cover

Post by JimmY »

Next, I used double sided tape (sailrite basting tape) and plastic drop cloth to make templates for each panel. Sailrite sells a reinforced template material and I forgot to order it. It is only $28 for 10 yards and I would recommend using that, but the plastic sheet worked pretty well. It can stretch a bit, and I had to make some modifications because of it.
20210411_143833.jpg
20210411_154217.jpg
20210411_154232.jpg
The boat is symmetrical, so I only made templates for one side and will make 2 of everything.

The best advise I can give here is to not make it too tight.
Last edited by JimmY on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Next, cut out all of the pieces making sure to allow for seams and get to sewing...
20210413_204914.jpg
And try it on for size...
20210413_124315.jpg
I had an issue with the covering being a bit tight around the motor, so I needed to remake that panel. Next up is to sew a hem around the entire cover for a draw string of bungee cord. Finally, I'll add a few hold down straps to tie it down to the boat lift.
-Jim

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Good job.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Post by TomB »

Looks good Jim. I have a similar project in my future. I'm also going to add holes with flap/velcro covers at the cleats, lights and lifting eyes.

For next time, Dura Skrim is probably available where you are. It is used under concrete slabs and for weather enclosures (masons love the stuff). There used to be a mason supply store between Brighton and Howell that carried it.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Thanks Tom & Roberta.

Dura Skrim is what sailrite sells for pattern material and I think it would be more stable than the plastic sheet.

I made a little more progress today after work....

The cover was a little tight lengthwise, so I recut the rear panel and added two darts to wrap around the the "tail fins" on my outboard. This gave me a little more length that I needed. I also added a 1" webbing strap under the cover that wraps under the fins and takes the load off of the seams.
20210413_212036.jpg
20210413_212039.jpg
I also got some help working on it...
20210414_171531.jpg
-Jim

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Next I added a hem around the entire cover for a line. I think this will be replaced with a bungee cord for convenience. Finally I added several anti chafe pads at the corners and over the throttle handle.
20210414_193046.jpg
20210414_180603.jpg
20210414_191800.jpg
One more evening to add the hold down straps, and it should be ready for the lake.

So far it has been a pretty straight forward project. The sailrite videos are very detailed and helpful, and at least for this canvas material a standard sewing machine is all that is needed.
-Jim

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Quick follow up...

The new boat cover is working out great. It is easy to put on and take off. It has been through a couple of heavy thunder storms and has not moved an inch, where lawn furniture was getting tossed around. I think the key is that the edge are tucked under the edge of the boat and it is difficult for wind to get under it. The fabric is very water repellant and the boat is bone dry every time I take it out.
Attachments
20210613_154012.jpg
20210613_154003.jpg
-Jim

Return to “Upholstery”