Glue

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

cmarshall

Glue

Post by cmarshall »

Building my first boat. Can someone tell me what type of glue to use for the frame. Will Liguid Nails work or is there something better. Looking for brand names that are eaisly available.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Use epoxy thickened with micro-fibers. :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gidgegary

Post by gidgegary »

I've been using two fantastic products: Epiglue and Epiglass. Definitely would not use liquid nails for boatbuilding.

Epiglue is a thick viscous product, Part A + Part B hardener, specifically for glueing. Epiglass is the epoxy for fibreglassing, also Part A + Part B hardener, but it can be useful for glueing. Because it is thin and runs it needs to be mixed with that micro silica powder stuff to thicken, but I use it mixed with the finest sifting of wood flour than I can get, this will thicken it up to make a very adequate glue or filler material. The silica stuff is easier to sand smooth though. The wood flour turns hard as rock.
first time boatbuilder.
Building Glen-L 'Fisherman'.

cmarshall

Post by cmarshall »

Is there anything that comes in some thing like a caulking tube that does not have to be mixed. This would be much easier to use.

gidgegary

Post by gidgegary »

Don't worry about looking for a caulking tube. I am not aware of any epoxy glue that comes ready to use in a tube. Simply get yourself organised for mixing the part A and Part B.

If you have a small amount of glueing you can mix on a flat piece of scrap ply and throw the ply away when your job is done.

I keep used milk containers from the kitchen and recycle them as glue pots in the workshop. These are the 1 litre containers, cardboard on the outside but silvery metallic coating on the inside, you see them used for packaging the long-life milk products.

I cut these straight across the middle so that I have 2 half-litre containers, then wash out the milk residue. These make perfect throw away glue mixing tubs. I also use them for washing paint brushes in turps or thinners. Also perfect when I am mixing a small batch of epoxy resin for fibreglassing. The beauty of them is that they cost nothing.
first time boatbuilder.
Building Glen-L 'Fisherman'.

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

I have been using old 1 lt ice cream tubs. I find that by tilting it over and mixing releatively small batches in the corner, and then using all of the mix, I can allow the remains to cure then just pull out the 'skin' that is left. Sometimes I need to use a small knife to lever some stubborn sections out but it generally comes out clean and ready for the next use.
Scotty

Stoker: Tug boat AT 2700 'Joe Mann'
I used to have a handle on life ................. but then it broke off.

capt jake

Post by capt jake »

Is there anything that comes in some thing like a caulking tube that does not have to be mixed. This would be much easier to use.
I buy 60cc syringes and fill them with epoxy for doing fillets. Works great! :)

lstyles

Post by lstyles »

System three sells their gel magic epoxy glue in caulking gun tubes. It mixes the two parts as you push it out. Can use only part of the tube and save for later.Very easy to use but much more expensive.
By the way, someone told me you can buy empty caulking gun tubes...anyone know where you can get these.? I make quite a mess when I glue and I though this might help me be less messy.
Lawry (short for Lawrence)

capt jake

Post by capt jake »

Empty caulking tubes. I can't locate the cheap carboard ones right now.
http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/accessories.html

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Sounds like you might want to consider using a PU adhesive instead of epoxy, single part, no mixing, use straight from the bottle/tube. There are many different brands, some more suitable than others, and it's not a substitute for epoxy in all situations, but well worth learning a bit more about.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Return to “Epoxy”