8 Ball vs. Sabotina

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

csuh13

8 Ball vs. Sabotina

Post by csuh13 »

Hello,
I'm debating my next project, but I've got a few questions...

1) What's the real difference between the 8 ball and the sabotina?
2) I want to build a non SG boat, but I'm limited to a 7' overall length (storage issues...) Do you think I could shorten either one of these a bit?

Bikermouse

Re: 8 Ball vs. Sabotina

Post by Bikermouse »

I have no experience with the eight-ball, but I'm currently in the middle of building the Sabotina (possibly a record for time per foot of length). Pix available in the project gallery.

As to shortening the plans, it's certainly possible to reduce the overall size of the plans by reducing all of the measurements until your overall length is 7', then re-lofting the plans according to your new numbers, but you'll then have lost all the benefits of buying full-size plans from Glen-L.

Bear in mind, too, that making a Sabotina 7' long would be a change of about 10% in a boat that small to begin with. If you just changed the length by chopping off a bit at the bow or stern, you'd drastically change the ratio of length to beam. Now, this may seem appropriate since a shorter hull length requires a proportionally broader beam for stability, but without the appropriately applied formulae, the sailing qualities of the boat would be unpredictable, at best.

In order to make either design shorter, and still be seaworthy, you'd need to consult a competent naval architect, and by the time you paid for that service, well...

I suppose that my overall advice would be to spend a little more time hunting the web for another proven design that meets your criteria. (Sorry, Gayle!) Surely somewhere has exactly the plan you need, without having to modify it, and the community here, while not able to help much with the specifics of a non Glen-L plan, can still be a tremendous resource as to general building skills and problems. Also, Glen-L is a good, cost-effective source for the materials you'll need to construct a plan from anyone who is just selling paper...
Why build a boat?
Because they don't think I can!

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

csuh13

Post by csuh13 »

Yeah, I thought about the Centerfold, but since the 2 pieces don't nest, it doesn't help my storage problem...

Bikermouse

Post by Bikermouse »

I don't remember what they're called, but I know I've seen discussion of several nesting designs on [url]http://www.messing_about.com[/url].
Why build a boat?
Because they don't think I can!

csuh13

Post by csuh13 »

Well, my storage limitations are actually about 7'6". I'll find a way to carve out that extra 4" somehow.

Now, does anyone know if there any differences in construction techniques between the sabotina and the 8-ball? Specifically, how can the 8-ball be built without a form? Does that make it easier or harder?

Return to “Sailboats”