Newbie in Virginia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bumpassian

Newbie in Virginia

Post by Bumpassian »

I'd like to learn how to build boats; I'm mainly interested in small sailboats, and possibly electric powered. My long-range pie-in-the-sky goal would be to build a hydrofoil. I've done some woodworking and made bookshelves, target stands, arcade game cabinets, horse driving obstacles, air gun stocks and I'm currently working on a canoe-to-sail conversion using plans from sailboats-to-go. I have a few questions.

1. What would be the best boat plan for my first boat? I'd like to make a sailboat (was considering the Puddleduck), but I'd like something where I can get good experience, but not be too time consuming (like less than a year). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. What I've researched so far has been plywood stitch and glue boats. Is that building method the best for a beginner with limited time for the hobby? Is it too advanced a building method for a beginner?

3. Looking at the plans and build videos I've seen so far, I'm not clear if fiberglassing a plywood boat is common and necessary, or if it's a nice-to-have option? Do people build plywood boats without fiberglassing them? If so, is it something I should consider, or a really bad idea.

4. I tried ordering the book, "Boatbuilding with Plywood" by Glen L. Witt on the Glen-L web site and the least expensive shipping option to Virginia was $25. Was that a mistake? Is shipping from Glen-L usually that expensive? I found the book on another site for $8 shipping so I bought it there.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to building and learning!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”