new the forum and first time boat builder

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

parsj1957

Re: new the forum and first time boat builder

Post by parsj1957 »

Wow! I gotta say you've got one lucky grandson -- nice build!
I used all screws on my Sweet Caroline build because I had a bunch and would have had to buy the nails -- just countersunk and filled anywhere I was painting and countersunk/capped where it's bright. I'd guess that the presumption was that nails are cheaper than screws and the typical goal was to keep the build cost low - hence the call for nails where possible.
J.

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks for the boat compliment parsj1957 as well as the nail response. I never thought of lower costs and that does make sense because this little boat if supposed to be a low cost unit. I also have some screws left and I found temporarily anchoring the plywood with screws so I could align things and then take them back out as an advantage.
As for the lucky grandson observation, I can assure you grandpa is the lucky one

thanks again

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Well with the inside all sealed up I moved to the floor boards and the seat bottoms. These are hickory so I applied two coats of Spar varnish top and bottom. The seat bottom I installed with finishing nails between the tongue and groove and I nailed them to the top of the number 1 frame and the inner transom boards. This puts them about 3 inches off the bottom, and nailing into the frames didn't concern me. After considerable deliberation as to whether I should glue the floor boards in place to eliminate any warpage or let them float so in a year or so after my grandson gets in and out of it with wet sand covered feet I opted to let them float. I figured if they do warp I can easily make another one and this way refinishing them will be easy as well. With that done I moved on to the deck boards and per previous conversations with parsj1957 I glued and screwed the boards on. Moving on the planeing the excess overhang off next. But does look like a boat now!
Attachments
Remi's boat with deck boards on.jpg
Remi's boat varnished inside front view.jpg
Remi's boat varnished inside back view.jpg

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

Looking sweet! It's going to be a beauty!
J.

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Well I got the plywood overhang cut off, and got the first pass with the fairing compound on. Also managed to get a couple coats of varnish on the dash and side boats to match up with the other sections I had already varnished. Maybe one more coat of varnish and I am calling the inside finishing done. Getting ready to flip her over and do some fiber glassing and painting, So this brings up a couple questions I would like some guidance on from fellow boat builders

I don't think a quart of epoxy will do the bottom and sides of this Pee Wee so I guess I need to buy a gallon?

I want a glossy finish on the sides and thought I could just use above the waterline paint on the bottom as well, but after talking to a couple paint manufactures they say it would bubble if I left it in the water like I intend to do. It was recommended that I could use Pettit vivid on the bottom, as it is a glossy paint. So is there any reason I can't just use it on the sides as well?

Open to other suggestions also

Thanks Ed
Attachments
Remi's boat inside with deck on rear shot.jpg
Remi's boat inside with deck on side shot.jpg
Remi's boat inside with deck on front sho.jpg

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Well it finally got warm enough here in Michigan for me to fiberglass my grandson's Pee Wee. I intended to buy the kit from Glen L but it is not listed anymore so I bought the materials from Total Boat. I am following the Glen l procedure with Total Boat's products and so far so good. I still need to put the fill coat and the finish coat on but I think I am on the downhill side of this phase of the project.
Attachments
Remi's boat fiberglass rear view.jpg
Remi's boat fiberglass front view.jpg
Remi's boat first coat epoxy front view.jpg

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

I got the fill coat and the finish coat on and I put them on with a sponge roller. It turned out kind of lumpy, but with the aid of a body file (see pic) it came out OK but took some time. There was a couple spots I could see the weave of the fiberglass so I added some more epoxy with a sponge brush and the finish with the brush was considerably better than the roller. Not that I plan on building another boat but anyone reading this take note the the sponge brush will eliminate a bunch of finish work.
All things considered I am happy with it and I am happy I added the fiberglass even though I was extremely nervous about it and had visions of having to remove it all because I screwed it up. But as others have said, read everything about preparation and procedures, have a clear plan, lay your materials and tools out ahead of time, having a helper is great, and then it's not that big a deal.
Painting next, hurray I can see the end now!
Attachments
Remi's boat after fiberglaa rear view.jpg
Remi's boat after fiberglass front view.jpg
Jeff's body file (2).jpg

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Managed to get 3 coats of Total Boat Flag Blue on the sides and 3 coats of Krypton ablative white on the bottom. I painted both with a sponge brush and although not perfectly smooth. it passes for my taste. I didn't thin it at all and I think in order to get a smoother finish it needs to be thinned somewhat because it's pretty thick
Attachments
Remi's boat bottom and sides painted rear view.jpg
Remi's boat bottom and sides painted front view.jpg

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Well believe it or not I am calling phase one of my grandson Remi's boat complete. In keeping with my bigger is always better theme I fiberglassed the entire outside of the boat. The bow, keel, and the transom have double thicknesses of glass on them and the entire boat is encapsulated with 4 layers of marine epoxy. She is heavier than the original design called for but that's by papa design because with the added weight she will take the waves nicely and not bounce around like a cork. With the little 30# thrust trolling motor powering it she isn't going to be fast but it will be nice and easy for Remi to learn on, especially when he finds out boats keep moving even after you take them out of gear, and there is no brake pedal! After looking at multiple paint schemes Remi came across this one and it was an immediate hit and it just so happens it is in Australia. See Pee Wee from Melbourne for her sister look alike (thanks down under for the inspiration) Maybe someday they can compare notes on speed and future modifications. Phase two will probably be one or two years away and will include a gas outboard with specially designed papa throttle cable stops so she won't go too fast, because Remi does like speed. As I said before it was a vertical learning curve for me, but I am glad I made it for him and I am also glad this phase done.
Attachments
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

OK now that this little boat is done I would like to get it register in Michigan. My problem is everything I see on the web site is for renewing registration and not creating one. Obviously there must be a way to get a hand built boat registered but I am getting no responses from emails for guidance or direction from the state. I am positive that my grandson is not going to want to wait weeks before we can launch it. According to Michigan's Secretary of State web site anything, even a canoe or kayak with a motor needs to be registered. Anyone have any guidance or suggestions for me?????????
thanks in advance
Ed (grandpa)

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The State DNR does it in Wisconsin. I know several builders are in Michigan and must have done that. Hopefully they will chime in.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks Roberta
I contacted the DNR and they told me it needed to be registered but didn't say they performed it.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey Gramps.

Congratulations, the grand kids are going to love it.

Take a copy of your receipts to the Secretary of State office. They will ask for boat length to the inch, how it is powered, and will be particularly interested in collection of sales tax. No need for pictures. A hull identification number, registration number, and 3-year registration sticker will be issued after you write them a check. The title should arrive in a couple of weeks or less.

A note on the SOS. I sent them an email asking the same question you asked here. Their response, the answer might be on their website. Not helpful. Making an appointment is required for the required office visit. They have two ways to schedule it, one will suggest that the next available appointment is two months away, the second is available at 8 am and noon offering appointments for the next day. The clerk at the SOS will have a screen to lead them through the process, nothing to it.

Good luck,

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

HI Gramps,

Nice job, the color combination is very cool.

Tom just went through the registration process in Michigan, and he has it down pat on what you need to do. The people at SOS may give you funny looks, and may need to go ask the manager, but overall it is a straight forward process.

Best of luck and looking forward to the splash!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks for the help and guidance TomB and JimmY, I now have a game plan. As usual I guess I should have asked this question months, and months ago because I incorrectly assumed that someone would inspect the boat and therefore I needed to have it complete. It sounds like I could have gotten it registered sometime over the winter before it got warmer so I could paint it. Also I had no idea I needed to keep receipts so I will be lucky if I can find a 1/4 of them because cost was not my concern. As a grandpa I was much more concerned with structural integrity, buoyancy, and handling. Wish me luck on my lack of receipts
Thanks again guys
Ed (grandpa)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”