Malahini splash well trim advice needed

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

lstyles

Malahini splash well trim advice needed

Post by lstyles »

I searched but haven’t been able to find any posts with ideas about how to cover edge of splash well on my Malahini. I have a rough edge all the way around that I need to cover. I want something utilitarian rather than fancy like I will be doing for the cockpit as I think there will be a lot of water/abrasion in that area. I have added a photo of the edge. I was thinking some kind of black vinyl/rubber U channel or other means of covering that edge would work nicely and be easy to bend around the curves but I haven’t found anything with big enough channel to work. The edge is about 1” thick in total.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Attachments
ADD863EF-8B03-4B1C-B861-5B5A93DAC3A7.jpeg
Lawry (short for Lawrence)
Roberta

Re: Malahini splash well trim advice needed

Post by Roberta »

I just sanded the edges smooth and even and stained and varnished. The smooth plies look very nice when finished. A little rounding over also looks good.

Roberta 😊
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Like Roberta talked about, I sanded the edges to a nice rounded edge and varnished. I also sanded the 1/4” plywood sub deck from below to an angle so it is not visible.
Matt B
Attachments
83DE2DA0-4D01-446B-8619-29E0D640FD0C.jpeg
lstyles

Post by lstyles »

I hadn’t considered that approach. My edges are pretty rough as I figured I would be covering them but it might be possible….lots of sanding though!
Lawry (short for Lawrence)
JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I used some 1/4" thick wood trim around mine. In the rounded corners, I laminated several layers of thin veneers that I had on hand. You could also steam bend the trim pieces.

Another idea would be a flat piece of stainless steel screwed into the raw edge. You may need to make a form to bend it around depending on how thick of material you use. Use a good quality caulk behind it, and should hide everything.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!
TomB

Post by TomB »

I would use at least try the sanding approach. If you're not liking the results, search for "edge banding", think old kitchen counters with the aluminum edge or an office table with a T-mold plastic edge.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23 & just starting Rosita
footer

Post by footer »

Maybe try some wood flour mixed with epoxy and stain. Mix it thick, putty it on, and sand to your desired shape.
Mind you, I have not tried mixing it with stain, but I have to believe it would work. I have used wood flour on my kayak and was very impressed with the results.
Just a thought. 😊

So after my first part of this comment, I went out and tried it. Worked great.
Attachments
Natural mahogany ply with plain wood putty on the corner
Natural mahogany ply with plain wood putty on the corner
Wood putty with epoxy and red mahogany stain on a piece of mahogany
Wood putty with epoxy and red mahogany stain on a piece of mahogany

Return to “Power Boats”