Question about Huck Finn

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DonJP

Question about Huck Finn

Post by DonJP »

Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing the plans for a 24' Huck Finn and would use an 8' cabin on it. Never having piloted a pontoon style craft I am wondering about their handling when docking? I am thinking about using an 18HP older model Evinrude motor or perhaps a newer model 4 stroke Mercury 15HP or 20HP. Would this power be sufficient? I'm not at all looking for speed I would just want enough HP if the wind comes up while out on her. I live on a lake here in BC so would only be able to use her when the water isn't hard (frozen). Any suggestions?

chugalug

Re: Question about Huck Finn

Post by chugalug »

:D I used to have a steel 24 ft pontoon boat (old weeres ,I think with a 15 evenrude on it.it had enough power I think and moving around the dock was like piloting the queen mary but was nice to fish off of. the pontoons rusted out so now I have the plans for the super huck.Havn't started on the hull as the boat shed still has the Bo-Jest boat in there getting finished up. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

BDRSAMSEL

Post by BDRSAMSEL »

New guy looking to build Super Huck. I have seen online people putting plastic bottles or foam into pontoons. Is this necessary/ helpful? Thanks. rob

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Bob

Extra floatation does nothing but add weight. Right up till the time you need it! If you hit something and punch a hole in the hull you will need it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BDRSAMSEL

Post by BDRSAMSEL »

Thanks Bill

I appreciate the response.

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

My parents have a 20 foot modern pontoon with a 40hp motor and that seems like a decent match. A 15hp or 20hp on 24 foot Huck Finn with an 8 foot cabin seems a little small. My two cents...

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

Return to “Power Boats”