Monte Carlo... is it the right choice

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

4th Bob

Monte Carlo... is it the right choice

Post by 4th Bob »

Hello all,

I’ve been lurking the forums and studying all the info I can find on these awesome Glen L boats you all are building lately and finally decided to join the forums in order to hopefully learn more. The main model I’m interested in building is the Monte Carlo. This, to me, is the most impressive model offered and I really like it’s size and interior space as I like to have guests on my boat rather often.

I live in Fort Lauderdale, which is considered by many to be the yachting capitol of the world and often referred to as the Venice of North America for all the rivers, canals, and channels; you can get almost anywhere by boat in this town. Almost every weekend I find myself taking my dogs, the mrs., and friends out on my current 16ft boat to cruise the rivers and waterways but I want more.
I’m looking for something that can comfortably fit a decent number of people for a day down the rivers in style as well as something I could take out on the ocean (on calm days) and make the trip to Bimini Bahamas and back (about 45 miles each way). Many folks make this trip in 20ft center consoles with no problem but I wonder if their hull design is more conducive to rough water than the Monte Carlo?

My question to you all, though, is do you think the Monte Carlo is the right choice? Is it possible to build the Monte Carlo with a deeper V for more stability?

billy c

Re: Monte Carlo... is it the right choice

Post by billy c »

4th Bob
That is a beautiful boat, but for sheltered waters only. Could you make it home in rough conditions? Yes but not a dry or pretty situation at best. If you are in open water a deep v hull is what you want. Maybe select a hull with the freeboard and incorporate some of the deck, open cockpits and features you like from the Monte
Billy
Last edited by billy c on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

4th Bob

Contact John Amundsen in Lakeland. He runs a Monte. The Monte does have some vee at the transom. But. not a lot.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6547

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c »

Bill Edmundson wrote:4th Bob

Contact John Amundsen in Lakeland. He runs a Monte.

Bill
...might need a post or two more under your belt first though before you can PM

4th Bob

Post by 4th Bob »

billy c wrote:4th Bob
That is a beautiful boat, but for sheltered waters only. Could you make it home in rough conditions? Yes but not a dry or pretty situation at best. If you are in open water a deep v hull is what you want. Maybe select a hull with the freeboard and incorporate some of the deck, open cockpits and features you like from the Monte
Billy
Thanks Billy,

This was what the answer I was hoping I wasn’t going to hear lol. Aside from lack of fuel capacity, this is the same problem I have with my current boat. I think you’re right that modification of other plans is the way to go because I really can’t get the look of that Monte Carlo out of my head.
Off the top of your head are there any plans with a hull that you think would fit my needs?

billy c

Post by billy c »

maybe one of the small cruisers like the Islander? ...and strip down to an open deck plan. ...keep the head
Last edited by billy c on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

An Islander with an open cockpit could be finished similar to something like this: http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2009/11 ... u22-month/

The Islander is not trailerable if that's important but there are similar designs that are.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

billy c

Post by billy c »

4th Bob
customize it with the curved windscreen and have the Riva look? :D
Billy

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

4th Bob...... There is another Bob (Smith) here on the forum although he hasn't posted much lately. You should check out his build thread ("The Epiphany"). He took a deep V fiberglass boat and cut the bottom off at the waterline. Then he used Glen-L plans (I think) to build the mahogany topsides onto the fiberglass deep V bottom. It is a very impressive boat with fairly high freeboard and I think it tops out around 50 MPH. I'm sure it would do well in rough water also..... Good Luck,,, Neel

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Bob.... Here is a link to "The Epiphany" build by Bob Smith:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16220&hilit=The+Epiphany&start=45

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Bob

Look under inboards. The Monte can be stretched to 27'. Several deep-vee cruisers in the 27' range can be shortened to 24'-6". If you built a cruiser to the waterline, then modified the topside to match the Monte, I think you can get your boat. Down side is you may need to but both plans.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

4th Bob

Post by 4th Bob »

That Epiphany is one heck of a boat. There’s a 30ft Scarab hull here locally for sale that someone was in the middle of converting from an offshore powerboat to a center console... makes you think a bit.

I think you guys are right about combining two plans. I was looking at the Atlantic Skiff as both it and the Monte Carlo are at 24 and change and the end goal is to take the boat in the Atlantic. Would the V on the Skiff be deep enough? And is it feasible to combine those two models?

kens

Post by kens »

" Re: Monte Carlo... is it the right choice"
for cruising the Venice of North America.........yes
for running the Bahamas...........................no
I can't imagine running offshore with a Mahogany, they just aren't set up for that kind of water.
Heaven forbid if a rogue storm blew up halfway across.
The Mahoganys get folks wet on the Tennessee river, running the Bahamas is out of mind.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

It may be a case of building the boat you "need" rather than the boat you want. Modifying one of the cruisers to an open cockpit or one of the center console designs to a large runabout style would be very simple. Grafting the topsides of the Monte onto the bottom of another design is another endeavor altogether. The shape at the waterline is not going to be the same. You would basically be designing a brand new boat. If you are comfortable with that then more power to you. But it's going to seriously set you back time-wise on the build. I won't tell you not to do it but just know what you are getting into.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

4th Bob: I had the same concern with the Malahini. I would like to use it in Barnegat and Raritan Bays, up the Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers and on calm days sneak around Sandy Hook into the Atlantic. The hull is almost flat at the transom and I knew that wouldn't be possible. I am in the process of combining the Roustabout with a deep vee hull and the Malahini with the look I want. It took a lot of planning at the start, but I think it is working out. Of course, it isn't in the water yet, so I can't say it is okay yet. I did buy both sets of plans.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Return to “Power Boats”