16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks Roberta, this is very helpful info!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

First, your boat is looking really nice!
This is what I did on my windshield. After studying pictures from boat shows I determined where the center bracket should be in relation to the cockpit area. I then screwed the center bracket in place. The slots in your brackets should be cut at an angle. Using that angle in the center bracket I used a scrap 1/4" piece of plywood to fit into the center bracket and extend out to determine where the outer brackets would be. Once I was satisfied with with the placement I started working on my 1/4" plywood patterns. The plywood was put on the brackets and the bottom scribed to match the curve of the deck. I played around with the height and the curve of the top of the patterns. The final shaped patterns were put in the brackets for the final check.

The completed patterns where then taken to a glass shop where they were used to make the 1/4" tempered glass pieces. The glass was rounded on the edge like it is on car window that has been rolled down. The glass guy told me that cars have tempered glass on the side windows because of the exposed edges. I used the same gaskets you got from classic boat connection. Use them with your patterns for the final fit. The only sealant I used was beeswax on the screws.

Jim
Attachments
One of the final patterns that went to the glass shop. Notice the cutouts where it fits into the center bracket.
One of the final patterns that went to the glass shop. Notice the cutouts where it fits into the center bracket.
The final patterns.  Notice the small pieces of the gasket to check the final fit.
The final patterns. Notice the small pieces of the gasket to check the final fit.
The shaped bottom.  This pattern was used to make the final pattern.
The shaped bottom. This pattern was used to make the final pattern.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

The final result.
Attachments
20211126_141837.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks Jim that is very helpful as well!

Good point to account for the gasket in the pattern height.

Does the height of the windshield keep the wind off your face?

My center bracket slots are not angled, the side ones angled though when in position.

I called around and most glass companies don't like to do laminated safety glass with curved cuts because its hard to cut well. They said they have to cut one side and then flip it to cut the other and the sides have to match, so curves are difficult. I found one locally that will so I will go laminated vs tempered. Tempered shatters into a lot of little pieces and is used for passenger windows. Probably so people can get out of car wreck among other reasons. Laminated safety glass is used for windshields. I saw a pic on a thread here with tempered glass in its low entropy state.
Attachments
bracket center.jpg
bracket side.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Last week I sanded the windshield brackets to prep them for chrome. Found a local chrome place and they will do them for $300 total. They said they I'll copper plate then first to fill in any imperfections, buff them and then chrome them. Works keeps getting in the way of dropping them off; hopefully will get them dropped off this week.

Did a little work this Sunday. Sanded the deck with 320 to prep for more coats of Varnish. Not going to do it anywhere close to rain this time, what a pain to sand out all the messed caused from the leaky tent. I think I think I want to get on about 4 more coats hopefully with no sanding in-between.

I also sanded the engine hatch because it still had quite a few epoxy runs. I burnt through the epoxy in a few places (got a little impatient and aggressive with the Rotex 150...) After some epoxy touch up it will be ready for varnish as well.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

That actually sounds like a fair amount of work Jim. Sometimes the work needed can be tedious,especially if you've been at it for a long time and are anxious to enjoy some of the fruits of your labor. Sanding those castings, I am sure was a considerable amount of work.

I know that I am getting real anxious with my own build and sometimes it takes real effort to drag myself out to the garage to do some of the more tedious stuff.

We'll get there Jim. :D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks for the support Carl!

I took the day off today and tomorrow to add some more varnish coats. Using Interlux Perfection Plus Varnish, 300ml per coat.

It was a bit more challenging today to keep a wet edge as it was 75 F rising to 80 F during the application.

I have been applying starting aft and moving forward and the challenge is keeping both covering boards edges wet. Next coat I am going to start in the aft corner and then work up one covering board do the deck from one side across and then back down the opposite covering board and then around the aft deck. This way I just have one dry edge at the end to mess with.

Does anyone add reducer to perfection plus varnish to have more working time and promote it laying down flatter? I have not been using any but I may add some ~5-10% as the can says one can go up to 25% thinned with Y2333N or Y2316N reducer. I happen to have it from the Roll and tip hull painting fiasco so I might as well try it out!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I haven't used the Interlux by I have thinned the two part polyurethane from Epifanes. I preferred the thinner coats of thinned product for better flow out and no need to tip.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks Roberta, I'll give it a try.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

TomB

Post by TomB »

Jim, I used the Interlux with thinner. It seemed to help. Keep it covered if you can, the stuff flashes off quickly. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23 & just starting Rosita
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I added 5% reducer in 80 F weather and it seemed to help it level out better. I noticed that the first time i added the reducer I was not careful to not add bubbles when I poured/mixed in the reducer after it inducted for the required 10 min. Subsequent batches I was more careful to not add bubbles.

I may go up to 10% as I still have some holidays (its hard to see where it lays down on the glossy surface of the previous coats.

I have few "blushy" areas that are really bugging me and I tried to sand out but I think they are really deep in the finish. Thy got a bit better and you can only see them if you are really looking for them (also hoping natural light is more forgiving than LED lights. I may save them to fix down the road so I can use this boat one day(hopefully this summer).

it is going to need a rub out for sure. The finish is nice and glossy and "OK" but not good or great right off the roll and tip. There are some dust nibs and some areas that I had some holidays where it didn't flatten out (poor application by me I'm sure). I recall I was talking with Jim and Ken here about this process.

Coats of varnish so far:
1, sanded, 2, 3, sanded, 4, 5*, 6, 7, 8
*Didn't coat the top rear deck as it had some blushy spots, sanded before 6, still has some blush...

Engine cover has 3 coats in places, 2 in others.
Attachments
v7a.jpg
v7.jpg
v7b.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Pics of engine cover after 3 coats of varnish (wet in pic)
Attachments
ec2.jpg
ec1.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
JimmY

Post by JimmY »

:shock:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I "Rubbed out" or "Cut and Buffed" the varnish on the boat.

Last Sunday I got it flat with 400 grit on my Festool ETS-125/3. I was going to try and only go down to 800 grit but the unevenness from the rolling and tipping of the varnish needed a little more aggressive sanding to get it flat. It paid off to get it flat.

Today I hit it with 500, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 (Granat), 2000 (Platin 2), then 4 stages of cutting and polishing compounds from Chemical Guys (32, 34, 36, 38) and a Porter Cable RO 5" polisher with 4 different foam pads today. Took about 4 hours today (and my back is feeling it). I wiped with a microfiber cloth between grits.

I am very pleased with the shine and smoothness of this finish it feels super smooth and its shiny! It's not perfect but it is really, really good and I want to get her in the water this summer!
Attachments
after buffing.jpg
shiny2.jpg
shiny.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Power Boats”