16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks Roberta. I'll try the agent on Mon, I used State Farm for my motorcycle insurance and liked them.

I sent pics to Hagerty as well to see what they say.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

My insurance is with haggerty. It is covered during construction and will be flipped over to their normal marine ins when launched. You could always tell the insurance company it is a "restoration" not a new construction. I think they would be more comfortable with that.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Jimbob wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:54 pm You could always tell the insurance company it is a "restoration" not a new construction. I think they would be more comfortable with that.
Thanks Jim but it was built by a home builder in 1963 so it is a true home built. One of the reasons I was excited to restore it is that it was not cookie cutter.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Haggerty had me conduct my own survey filling out 7 pages of questions and providing pictures and now they want me to hire a professional surveyor as they said the motor "appears to be built to automotive standards not marine standards". I have built the motor to the USGG requirements (Flame arrestor, fuel pump location, A1 fuel hose, fuel barb type, Marine certified carb, etc.) If you are following along with Doug and the SV seeker insurance issues I'm starting to feel like him a little bit.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Is it possible some of the electrical components don't meet USCG standards? All electrical stuff like starters, generators, alternators, ignition systems, and any electrical motors need to be sealed to prevent igniting fumes in the bilge and enclosed spaces.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Yes I am aware and have read the requirements. They are sealed and meet USCG requirements. They only saw pictures. Regardless now they want me to to hire a professional surveyor.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Yikes. I showed the WI DNR pictures, paid the sales tax and registration fees and walked out with a HIN and registration number in about 15 minutes. State Farm had no issues and happily insured me. $500.00 a year for 50k of coverage.

Roberta :roll:
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Keep shopping for different insurance companies if it's too much of a hassle. Someone will surely be able to figure it out.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

One marine surveyor said its $480; so not terrible. Once I get it all buttoned up ill have him take a look if I cant find another insurer.

They also don't insure me when someone is skiing or tubing!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I know some people on here have Haggerty but for the most part the don't seem to be too helpful for us home builders
Matt

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Roberta, Bill and Matt you were right! The local State Farm agent was super helpful and got me a quote in 30 min. I think I'm going to go this route, no survey needed!

No Skiing/ tubing exception either!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Milhouse wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 pm No Skiing/ tubing exception either!
That's ridiculous from Haggerty.
Matt

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Bravo. State Farm has given us great coverage and service for everything. Great company.

Roberta
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Wow, time flies. Glad to see the other projects here are progressing well. I have not been working on the boat much even though I had some time off of work. Household odds and ends and I ended up finally putting the motor of my 1976 YZ80 back together and it runs!

Some small boat tasks I worked on:
1. The back of the rear seat ended up being about 3/8" too wide after I put the wood trim around the cockpit so I had to get the seat torn apart a bit so I could make it smaller by hand planeing it and then epoxy encapsulated it. I still have yet to take it back to the upholster to get re-stapeled.

2. There was a small crack in the port coverboard. I didn't want it to get any worse so I dremeled it out and drop filled it with epoxy (many times) to get it back to flat. The pic is of what I hope is the last drop fill.

I plan to varnish it over my Christmas break if the weather is nice and I can get a hand to help roll/tip.
Attachments
crack.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Just keep plugging away Jim. Slow and steady or fast and steady, the key word is steady.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Return to “Power Boats”