Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

denbrlr

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by denbrlr »

Neel,

That is really coming along nicely. Looks great.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists
DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Looking good Neel, but I don't see the beer can delivery system yet.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I think Neel plans a keg and taps system this time. It is kind of like mechanical or hydraulic steering system choice. :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I like Bill's idea... Great minds think alike !! Back to the chair !!
neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

i have almost finished the front cockpit, at least as far as I will go at this point. All of the rough wiring is in and the several grounding blocks have been attached to various frame members. Most of the grounds have been installed on the blocks after shrink wrapped connectors were crimped on. It looks like spaghetti dinner at the gathering !! I have also installed the two bilge pumps, one up front at the deepest part of the keel and one at the transom.
I'm still waiting for my motor and have been told "any day now". I was hoping to get it installed before leaving for Florida after Christmas. I still have plenty to do so not in a great rush. I will be concentrating on the seats, ceiling board framing, and floor framing in the aft cockpit.
Attachments
20211201_143846.jpg
20211201_143933.jpg
20211201_143952.jpg
neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

A few more pics
Attachments
20211201_144054.jpg
20211201_144007.jpg
20211201_144045.jpg
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

It's looking good Neel! :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

You should use lexan for decking so don't have to hide your Beautiful work.

Roberta 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
sshamilt@gmail.com

Post by sshamilt@gmail.com »

Roberta wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:09 pm You should use lexan for decking so don't have to hide your Beautiful work.

Roberta 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊
Now that would be cool for education purposes!
Steve

Long time woodworker, first time boat builder
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for posting the latest photos Neel. It's good to see how others are wiring their boats. If I can just get past my current trials with boat finishing, wiring will be next. Looking good as always.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise
neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks everyone... I have started working in the aft cockpit. I fabricated the framing for the ceiling boards on both sides. I also have drawn up my plans for the two bucket seats. Both seats will have electrical stuff in them. The starboard one will have the battery switch and the twelve lug main fuse panel with ground bus. So a lot of wiring will be going from the seat up to behind the dash to the switches. The port seat will also have a fuse panel in it, but it will only be a six lug panel with ground bus. That panel will feed the trim tabs, stern thruster, stern thruster tab, port bilge blower and both bilge pumps. The rocker switch for the stern thruster will be mounted low on the front panel of the port seat. The auto bilge switches will be mounted on one of the port ceiling boards, slightly under the port side of the dash. I also have all deck battens cut to size with the exception of the engine hatch and aft deck hatch battens. I started encapsulating them this morning as installing the forward and aft decks might be on the agenda before Christmas. No pictures today.. Neel
Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Great Progress Neel! looks great!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Really love the framing detail shots... I agree with Roberta, it's a shame to have to cover it up!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!
neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Jim and Steve. This week I have been fabricating the framework for the two bucket seats for the aft cockpit. Many angles and curves and a lot of thinking !!! I also have installed the aft cockpit ceiling board framing on the starboard side. I have delayed delivery for my motor until I return from Florida on March 1st. It will have aluminum heads and valve covers along with stainless risers. It should be on the mild side for a 383 Stroker with somewhere around 350 HP. I am going with a 71C Velvet Drive transmission with a 1:1 ratio. There was some discussion here on the forum some time ago about the Johnson dripless shaft seal. It doesn't require a water pick up. I bought one so I hope it works as advertised. Does anyone have any experience with this seal?
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looks nice. I found a video on installing it. Looks easy enough. Shown with a taper shaft coupler, but any coupler should be easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxONEpGV_M

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Power Boats”