Bandido design changes/modifications?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Finaddik

Bandido design changes/modifications?

Post by Finaddik »

I've been 'eyeing' the Bandido plans lately and think this is pretty much what I’m looking for. My plans for the Bandido are increasing it to 33’ (not that big of a deal, as I see many builders do this). As for power and propulsion… I’m thinking of going with twin Deutz 1013MC (6cyl) Diesels (~200bhp each) with either Alamarin 230 Jets or MJP 251 HT Ultra Jet’s. I may opt for the Cummins 4BTA’s instead of the Deutz’s only because of the weight. Deutz are HEAVY! But, are very dependable and very fuel-efficient. Some input on this would be nice. As for the Bandido Plans, I do have a couple questions here.

1. - On the Spec's for the Bandido, it says the Beam is 8' however, I'm reading that some are saying it's 6'6"? What is the beam really? Also, It's mentioned that the length can be increased to 33' (10%) but the beam should not be changed. Would increasing the beam to 8'6", be catastrophic? I understand pushing it to an 11' beam would be extreme and even dangerous without major re-design, but increasing the Beam 6", to me, doesn't seem like it would be too critical... but I could be wrong here as I'm not a Naval Architect.

2. - Are there any plans or modified plans to turning the deck into a Center Console Sport Fish? (See photo) This would make a wonderful Off-Shore Fishing boat.
Attachments
2012-Cigarette-Racing-center-console-39-outboard-fish-boat.jpg
Never underestimate the power of determination
"I’ve cut it twice and it’s still too short!"

Bill Edmundson

Re: Bandido design changes/modifications?

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Finaddik

The beam is 8'-0". I think you could find a way to get 8'-6" out of it.

I don't know about doing it center console. The design is for a pretty fast offshore boat. That can be pretty extreme loads on the whole structure. You're talking diesel. You are not looking at offshore racing. Send Glen-L an outline of how you want to use the boat and speeds you expect. Glen may say that you are at less than the design parameters and say OK.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lurvio

Post by Lurvio »

Finaddik
You don't happen to live in Finland? The bandido design has interested me for a long time, I just don't have much use for one living far from the ocean.

cheers
Lurvio
Hopefully creating something useful, since 1983.

Finaddik

Post by Finaddik »

Bill,
I will send Glen-L what I’d like to do with this project. Who and where would I send it too (ie email?). As for Offshore racing… you’re right, not really looking to do that. However, I am looking for a pretty fast offshore (fishing) boat that’s economic (fuel consumption) and reliable, hence, the diesel/jet combo.
On another note, I planed on doing this in Fiberglass/High Tech, but after reading more about this, many are saying this would make a heavier boat than the wood (unless bagged). This is hard to believe. I imagine the physical weight wouldn’t matter as much as the buoyancy? Meaning that the wood version might be heavier on the trailer, but lighter in the water?

Finaddik

Post by Finaddik »

Lurvio,
Actually, I don’t live in Finland… I live in Georgia USA. I’m a few hours from both the Ocean and Gulf myself, but I do have a large lake very close to my house. One of the reasons I’m looking at the Bandido is that the DeepVee hull at 33’ would fit the bill for both the lake and Ocean/Gulf and, with the Jets; I can get a shallow(er) draft, maneuverability, and efficiency.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

http://www.glen-l.com/contact-glen-l/

Gayle Brantuk or John B

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

Finaddik wrote:Bill,
I imagine the physical weight wouldn’t matter as much as the buoyancy? Meaning that the wood version might be heavier on the trailer, but lighter in the water?
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but if it's heavier on the trailer, it's heavier in the water too. The hull displaces an amount of water that is equal to the weight of the boat (assuming it's not planning). A 500 lb boat displaces 500lbs of water no matter if it's a steel hull or a wood hull.
-Craig

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Craig is correct. Floatation only counts when you need it. It only adds weight to the boat, until you're sinking.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Finaddik

Post by Finaddik »

Craig and Bill, thanks for your input here. You’ve both confirmed what I originally thought. Which brings me back to (totally veering off the path of the post topic) Why/how would a wood boat be lighter than a Fiberglass? Seems to me that if one were to take a 2-sq/ft ply and a 2-sq/ft foam core, glass them both up… drop them both vertically in the water, the foam core build would sit higher. Am I missing something here? Does the High-Tech version for the Bandido assume it’ll be bagged? The Stats show almost a 1400lb difference between the two versions, which is a considerable difference! Like the weight of 2 4BTA Diesels :D
Bill, I had to laugh when I read “Until you’re sinking”. There’s just no market for Convertible Submarines :lol:

Lurvio

Post by Lurvio »

The lighter the boat, higher it will float and quicker it will go with the same horsepower. If your thinking high tech build, you might want to take a look at this build. Fram.nl Its a sailboat, but the build method might of interest

cheers
Lurvio
Hopefully creating something useful, since 1983.

Aussie13

Post by Aussie13 »

Did you end up hearing if you can take the front section out and use it as a CC?

I asked a few questions of tech support and they are happy for centre console design running 500-600hp on the back. I forgot to ask about the front strength once the top part of the hull is removed and what the revised BOM will be.

Feedback appreciated

Return to “Power Boats”