Atlantic Skiff build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

weller

Re: Atlantic Skiff build

Post by weller »

One other question. I'm wiring up the kill switch. What wire from the ignition switch do i use, the yellow with red stripe the red or the purple? I can't believe half the stuff i buy for this boat has no instructions included. I think I spent as much time looking up how to install things as I did building the boat.
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"
kens

Post by kens »

The big battery switch connects whichever battery selected to the rest of the boat.
WYSIWYG what you select is what you get

As far as I know kill switch would go to purple
Verify me on this but,
red=battery power
purple = ignition
yellow stripe = starter engage
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

What Ken says should be correct for standard wiring.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
weller

Post by weller »

Thanks the help
weller

Post by weller »

This is really giving me trouble. Everything in the console is wired and works when I hook up a battery. Now the power wire on the starter goes where? Do I hook it where the switch is connected to the main fuse or after the fuse or somewhere else? I have a wire from the alternator to the starter that connects to the same stud the power wire connects to. I assume that’s the power coming back from the alternator then going through the starter power wire and charging the batteries. I bought the Glenn l wiring plans, searched the internet and I just can’t seem to figure out how to wire this.
kens

Post by kens »

pictures or a diagram that you followed would be much help.
in my way of thinking, 'starter power' is that big thick red cable from battery to starter, that's big power. and it goes nowhere near the inst. panel.this one as big round as your finger

There is the wire for the starter solenoid, that is 12v to energize the starter solenoid and it comes off the start position of ignition switch, the yellow stripe we mentioned earlier, about 14ga or 16ga wire

purple would power up the whole inst panel, guages power, backlighting, an yes this should be fused, about 16ga

here is a sample I got off internet. are you putting in a neutral safety on your transmission? thats a good safety feature
your chevy solenoid/starter is likely look like one piece unit, but it's still there
https://www.pysystems.ca/resources/arti ... r-circuit/
weller

Post by weller »

The 2awg wire from the starter is the one I’m talking about. There is also a 10awg wire on the ignition and a 10awg coming off of the wire bundle from the motor. When I test ran and winterized the motor I hooked all three of these to the positive side of the battery and it started. Doing that none of them are on a fuse and I’m not sure if they have to be. I’ll also post the worthless diagram I bought.
Attachments
28358459-ADBA-47EB-A6DE-A62B47D01D18.jpeg
95A7D628-297C-43E3-A643-E78C5C0E01DF.jpeg
weller

Post by weller »

Pics of the two 10awg wires and of where the heavy starter wire connects
Attachments
99EC4B2E-F111-4B1F-A6AC-079A0660DC76.jpeg
CA721335-A18D-4281-BE2B-750178D1B15E.jpeg
A850AB17-19B4-4B18-846D-A8AAE9F876DD.jpeg
kens

Post by kens »

I have many questions on your pics, but I'll start from what I feel is the beginning source.
In your last pic, it looks like a 8-pin square connector from engine harness - to the boat. Is that correct?

What engine are you using? what model/make/year?
Carbureated or fuel injected?
I ask because there is minor differences in wire colors between mfr's and systems.
Minor difference but yet a difference

I have a PCM TBI with square plug, does it look like this?
20220114_082249.jpg
20220114_082231.jpg
kens

Post by kens »

Do you have a heavy 10ga orange from alternator to starter battery terminal?
Do you have heavy 10ga red from key switch to starter batt terminal?
( red & orange 10ga have to come to meet somewhere ) where?
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

It appears that the red wire (Battery), yellow and red wire (Start), purple wire (Ignition) are all going to the Ignition switch. If properly landed on the switch, that should be OK. It appears that the purple wire is going through a kill switch. That would be correct. Some starter switches will have an accessory terminal to power items you would want energized without the ignition being on. This terminal will also be energized when ignition is energized.

It appears that you may have the same 8 pin plug that Ken has. That would correspond to typical GM wiring.

The big 2ga. wire should go from the battery and to the big lug on the starter solenoid. As ken suggested, a wire needs to go to the output lug on the alternator and land normally land on the big starter lug. That starter lug is usually a 5/16" or 3/8" stud using a 1/2" or 9/16" wrench on the nut. The lug on the alternator is usually a #10 with a 3/8" nut. The yellow and red start wire would land on the small lug on the starter solenoid, usually a #10 with 3/8" nut. It looks like those are on the picture of the starter.

Not to confuse matters more, the yellow and red wire should also be run through a neutral safety switch before landing on the solenoid terminal. This will prevent starting the motor with the transmission engaged. Most modern controllers will have both a kill switch and neutral safety switch associated with them.

Hope this helps.

Roberta
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Taking another look at the back of the ignition switch, I see two purple wires on two different terminals. That does not seem right. Where are those wires going and coming from? The purple wire is for the ignition and should be landed on the IGN terminal of the Switch. Normally you would see a BAT, IGN, STRT, and ACC terminals on the Ignition Switch and sometimes GRD.

Roberta
weller

Post by weller »

Thanks for all the help. The second purple wire goes to my gauges. I talked to Ken on the phone tonight and I think he answered all my questions. I love this forum but sometimes talking to someone is just easier for me to explain my questions and understand the answer. The help I get here is priceless.

Steve
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Good. Ken is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Roberta 😊

Return to “Power Boats”