Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl: I feel you pain. There are definitely things on the boat that I don't ever want to have to get to. Hopefully when I need to get to those things, my grandsons will be old enough to help.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."
Sam's ZIP

Post by Sam's ZIP »

mrintense wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:38 pm
INstall a bow eye, easy right? Perhaps on some boats. On mine, nope. It took me about 5 years to find a bow eye long enough to go through the stem, but guess what. It was only flush on the inside when I put it in. Ugh! Now we are talking about a fairly restricted area on my boat because of the V berth and because the holes are in a small cubby I built in the very bow.

Using a punch and with great difficulty, I knocked the bow eye back out enough to do some counterboring. Did I mention it had butyl tape on the threads! Counterboring could not be accomplished using my electric drill because there wasn't enough room. Fortunately, I just purchased a really nice battery powered Bosch angle drill which did fit.
This caught my eye because I will need to install the bow eye in the restricted space of my completed little ZIP. I purchased an eye with the longest shank I could find but the shank is just a piece of 3/8" all-thread. The shank can be unscrewed from the eye and either a longer length of all-thread or a long 3/8" bolt can be threaded into the eye so counterboring might not be necessary. This is the eye that is very common on our boats, I don't know if replacement of the shank is possible with other eyes.

Pictured are the eyes I got for the transom but since they are nicer than the one with the long shank I bought another one of these and will replace the shank with a long bolt for the bow. Of course measures need to be taken to prevent corrosion of whatever hardware is used.

All this is no doubt common knowledge for many builders but maybe it'll be helpful for new builders.

bow-eye.jpg
Last edited by Sam's ZIP on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sam Buchanan
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the responses Bryan and Sam

No grandchildren available for me to do that Bryan, so I have to hope for the best. I have tried to build things so that they are accessible, but sometimes I think my mind's eye version of the boat is a tad larger than the reality!!

Sam,

I actually bout one of those from the Glen L site early in the build and had originally planned on using it. Two reasons I didn't. First, my boat being a cruiser is considerably heavier than a Zip and I had real concerns about the ability of a single threaded rod to take the strain.

The second one, and I only found this out later, is that I have read that the cast metal part has had some problems with cracking in some cases. I don't know if that's because the ones that cracked were cheap knock offs or if it's a problem with the design, or if they were used in situations where the load exceeded their design strength. Given those concerns I decided to go with the U bolt design instead.

This is where the problem of locating a long enough threaded portion arose. 99.9 % of the commercially available bow eyes are made for fiberglass and metal boats so they are much shorter in length. So they were far too short for the thickness of my stem structure. Some years ago, someone posted a link here on the forum to a marine outfit in Wisconsin that had a longer threaded U bolt and I thought it would be long enough and purchased it. But I only checked it yesterday and it still wasn't quite long enough unless I counterbored the stem a small amount.

I have heard of people making their own and I've heard of hiring a metal shop to make one and I had originally planned on doing this before I found the one I have. But this one will work. IN the future, if it needs replacing, I am going to have one custom made.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise
Sam's ZIP

Post by Sam's ZIP »

Points taken, Carl.

Yes, these eyes might not be suitable for a boat as large as yours even though the packaging claims a rating of 4000 lbs. We certainly don't want to live with doubts about the strength of fittings tasked with keeping our vessel secure. :)
Sam Buchanan
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I had one of those single shaft bow eyes for a year or so. It seemed strong enough but it eventually started working itself loose and those little spikes are the only thing keeping it from rotating. I replaced with a u bolt type and it is so much more secure. I used blue thread locker so the nuts won't back off.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Small milestone today. First real electrical lead made. This was testing out several things. My plan to label the wires, my ability to properly crimp the end fitting, the hydraulic crimper I bought about 7 years ago, and proper heat shrink. Score for this first one B+.

Mainly because I had planned on using red heat shrink, but the ones I bought were too big in diameter. I can still get the correct color and place it over this when they arrive.

The hydraulic crimper worked great once I figured out the correct die size to use. Biggest problem I had was I have been having a lot of pain in my left wrist which makes it hard to do this kind of work. The label was made with a label maker and I used clear heat shrink to secure it in place. The plan is to do this on both ends of each wire. But first I am heading to the store to get a wrist brace.

For reference, this is the positive lead going from the battery switch to the distribution panel. The run is about 18 feet.

PXL_20220122_200058165.jpg
Carl

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D I bought the marine kit with rachet crimper and shrink ends from Jamestown.Was pretty spendy but works good so far.I also got the marine duplex(both red and black wires )together in various sizes.needed big wire for ground so used heavy welder lead.Put in 150 amp breaker in line between batteries and fuse box.Sometimes I forget I tripped that and have trouble starting.Came in handy when I accidently touched wrong battery terminals with wrench.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I have about eight different parts I am working on simultaneously on the boat. All are in various holding patterns for either parts to arrive, warmer weather to do some work requiring warm temps, or information about something I am unsure about.

In the last vein, I am going to the outboard dealer tomorrow to get some information and questions answered. I'm also expecting a few parts to arrive in the next couple of days, so hopefully I can get some more steps done.
Carl

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

your boat is looking great now you are at a stage that is usually very puzzling to many builders . All I can say you have most of it solved by labelling. I remember I had harness I made up thought I would remember how to connect of course it took several hours to retrace. IF you can keep the ABYC colors it simplifies some . keep going the beginning of the end is in sight.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Soloboat wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:25 pm your boat is looking great now you are at a stage that is usually very puzzling to many builders . All I can say you have most of it solved by labelling. I remember I had harness I made up thought I would remember how to connect of course it took several hours to retrace. IF you can keep the ABYC colors it simplifies some . keep going the beginning of the end is in sight.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm tackling things as I get to them. My biggest concern right now is trying to find a suitable storage for the boat. Once I get the motor on, it will not fit in the garage.
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I went out this morning and installed the water fill port. Then I started looking over the fuel system in preparation for getting that installation completed.

Well, I've had a bit of a setback today with that project. When I made the side deck pieces several years ago, I tried to place the fill ports on the port deck in the right place. Unfortunately, the fuel fill port location is not in the correct location and will not allow room to install the fuel fill hose without a serious bend in the hose. Knowing that a straight shot into the fuel tank is best, but not wanting to face relocating the hole, I tried to think of alternatives.

But there were none that either were not more work than relocating the hole, or not ideal for other reasons. So, I've started by plugging the original hole. Not too hard, and fortunately, because the deck is eventually going to get non skid paint in this area, not a huge problem from a refinishing standpoint. It will be a bit unsightly for awhile because I was not going to do the non skid until after the launch.

The first photo shows where the existing hole is located and the hole saw shows approximately where it needs to be. I'll work out the exact location after I plug the original hole. The process to plug is not too difficult. I cut out a hole in a piece of plywood first (using the hole saw with a pilot drill). The I clamped this piece of plywood down on another of the desired thickness, removed the pilot drill from the hole saw, and then used the first hole as a guide to cut the plug for the hole.

The plug is lightly hot glued to another piece so it will be as flush with the deck as I can get it. This is in the second photo. Then it was just a matter of gluing it into position.

I may also relocate the water fill port in the future before applying the non skid. This is mainly because I wanted it to be in line with the fuel fill port. We'll see about that later. I want to stay focused on getting the boat launched in the next couple of months.

PXL_20220213_190727689.jpg
PXL_20220213_193812723.jpg
PXL_20220213_194843819.jpg
Carl

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello Carl,

I look for a post from you every day now and have become concerned.
Are you o.k.? I sure hope so.
Perhaps you've posted that you were going to be away from the Forum for a few weeks and I missed that. I hope that's all.

Regards,
Alan
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Alan71 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:13 pm Hello Carl,

I look for a post from you every day now and have become concerned.
Are you o.k.? I sure hope so.
Perhaps you've posted that you were going to be away from the Forum for a few weeks and I missed that. I hope that's all.

Regards,
Alan
Alan, (and everyone else) I am sorry I have not kept up with the forum. So many things going on in my life and I was prioritizing those items which I needed to get done. On top of that, there were other, non boat related things I've been dealing with, occupying more of my time.

But the good news is that I am still building the boat and in fact am near a launch date. The fuel system is installed, most of the electrical that needs to be installed is in and I'll be finishing that up over the next week. I've received my outboard and paid for it. I'm scheduled to move the boat from the dolly to the trailer on April 12 and from there take it to the dealer to get the outboard installed. That should take about a week. I have to wait until May 13 to get the boat inspected and titled so in the meantime, I will work on items that are not as critical to the launch. After that some testing and practice.

PXL_20220306_181018021.jpg
PXL_20220221_021301960.MP.jpg
PXL_20220219_204109744.MP.jpg
Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

More pics

PXL_20220324_232449943.jpg
PXL_20220321_220712680.jpg
PXL_20220320_001549858.MP.jpg