Harbor Freight boat trailers

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

kalbo

Harbor Freight boat trailers

Post by kalbo »

I got the Harbor Freight boat trailer. It is OK but does not come with all the niceties such as a winch. The big problem I am having is the “Certificate of Origin” so I can register the trailer. It did not show up in the box. I called them the first week of September and they told me it would be ten days before I got it. It is now the 26th of September and I am being told I should have it by 10 October. This part of the harbor freight company really sucks. It is a potential drawback if you are looking at one of these trailers and you really want to get on the water within the next three months or so. Order it before you start your boat and it may be road worthy by the time the boat is seaworthy. I don't have a problem with the trailer, only the paperwork and service. Has anyone had this problem before?

marksa1458

Post by marksa1458 »

I have never had a problem with Harbor Freight but have had a problem registering every trailer I have owned. For some reason, trailer manufactures do not stamp serial numbers on the trailer and in Massachusetts, you can not register a commercial trailer without a serial number. Since I have purchased all of my trailers used, there was no way to find out what the original numbers were. My workaround has been to classify the trailer as "homebuilt" and the last time my insurance agency asked questions I told them the trailer had been damaged severly in an accident and I rebuilt it from the ground up - essentially making it "homebuilt" Probably not the best way to do things, but what else can you do?
Both the below websites detail my build progress.

http://dynojet.fateback.com/Index.htm
or
http://www.geocities.com/marksa1458/

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Funny,

I got the same trailer, and I had no problem registering mine in CA. I would have thought we were the worst state to get that stuff done.

My Cert. of Origin came in the box, I went to the DMV the next morning, and walked out with a license plate and a week later, i got my Title. No issues whatsoever.

I do however want to build my own bunks, since I don't feel so good about the way it came setup from them. Mt flying saucer is very wobbly up front, and I don't think the bow is getting the support it needs...

razopp

Post by razopp »

Not to suggest anything remotely shady, but why can you not go down to your DMV and register it as a "home-built" trailer? I have ordered a Harbor Freight trailer in the past and never had a problem with the registration. I mean you do have to put them together from a box of steel and bolts. Is it not home-built then??? :lol:

Robert

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

I just wanted to share my recent experience:

So after a few times out, I decided I should have spare bearings, so I pulled the hubs to measure the old bearings and found WATER and RUST in the bearings already!!!

I wanted to get bearing buddies and replace the bearings and try again, but it took me 3 weeks to find anyone who had them and even then they are 18 bucks a peice So to replace my whole set would be about $72 bucks in bearings per season + seals and tax is over $85!...Standard bearings/seals ar about half that out here...

What I want to do is find a new axle with standard size spindle, bolt that up and buy standard hubs as well.

I just wanted to warn anyone who was thinking of getting a harbor freight trailer, it's probably not worth it. The the EZloader galvanized for $800, and you'll probably be much happier.

terrymc

Post by terrymc »

Bill,

I'm surprized that you have rust in your bearing already - bummer. You ahve had the boat in the water what - three times? Almost had to be a pre-existing condition. Honestly, this is a problem with some of the Chinese junk that we get these days - yeah, it's cheap, but quality is at best so-so. I'm having the same problem with the jack on my trailer - it's less than a year old and turning into rust (and yes, it's from Harbor Freight and made in China)

I'll second your comments on the EZLoader - that's the trailer I have under my Squirt - a BIG BIG plus is the oil-bath hubs that never need repacking (you are supposed to change the oil every 5 years). I'm seriously considering upgrading the hubs on the trailer on my big boat to these.

I guess the bottom line is you get what you pay for...

Peace,

TRM

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

yeah, but even after a new axle and new hubs I'm still around half of what I would have paid for an ez loader..

I have heard good and bad about the oil bath hubs though...Are they really that good?

Maybe what I read was just someone that had a bad experience with them leaking and happened to write alot about them...

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

We use them on our tractor-trailers(oil filled hubs) but they don't get dunked in water( or shouldn't be anyway!!!)
I always wondered how the boat trailer ones held up with the dunking while hot etc.
Terry do you have them on the big trailer too? I know you've had that awhile

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon »

I purchased the same trailer but from Northern Tool in South Carolina (?) and it was shipped to me in Nevada. The very first thing the instructions said was to locate the C of O. I looked, it wasn't there and I shined it on ......not knowing the importance of it. Bottom line...a 6 week hold-up obtaining it. From reading HERE, it seems that some have it, others don't. CHECK!!! FIRST THING! And deal with it. I don't know the first thing about bearings but greased the be'jesus outa them and have now something like 600 miles on them and have had no problems. I, however, have a lot of 'rigging' to do BEFORE actually launching....a considerable cool down period. That may make a difference.
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

CusterRL

Re: Harbor Freight boat trailers

Post by CusterRL »

Don't buy the Harbor Freight boat trailer!!! I ordered this trailer several weeks ago. The trailer comes in 3 boxes, but only two of the three showed up. I called customer service and they said it just got delayed at FedEx and it would be there in a day or two. Still no box. VERY long story short, after 6 more times of calling customer service and having 6 different people (including a manager!!!) tell me that they would personally make sure to send a replacement box because the other one got lost and to wait 5-7 days, I found out that it had never actually been sent, and a trace had never been put on the missing package. So now it is a month after the first two boxes have arrived and I finally just had to cancel the order. So now I have to ship these huge pieces back and won't get my refund until the third box is found, except that that was the problem to begin with!!! I am so furious. I can overlook 1 person not doing their job, but to have 6 different people, including a manager, blow me off tells me that the company has trained them to say these things and just doesn't care.

scottinwv

Post by scottinwv »

I bought a HF utility trailer. The story I got at the store was that they would send the paperwork to California and within 10 days I would get the certificate of origin so I could license it. Two weeks later the store was swearing the paperwork was at headquarters, headquarters said they never received it. I loaded it on my truck and drove it to the local store. They finally admitted the paperwork had never been sent off and was still in the file. I said I wanted a refund. Since I had assembled it, they didn't want to accept it. I said, "take it or not, I'm calling my credit card company to contest the charge" and they decided to take it back.

I watched eBay and Craigslist for PWC trailers and found a nice one for $300. It had an extra long tongue, which worked out good for my 14' boat.

Families going from one PWC to two usually buy a double trailer, so there are a lot of single trailers available.
Last edited by scottinwv on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gstanfield

Post by gstanfield »

I bought the HF boat trailer and it arrived in a timely manner and every part was there including the paperwork. I told the gals in the clerk's office that I built the trailer from a kit (absolute truth) and she offered to register it as a homebuilt which saved me a few bucks on the plate and didn't require a title in my state. So far it's been pulled about 3,500 - 4,000 miles or more at speeds up to 80mph and across two track ranch trails and it's held up great. I even made a deck to replace the bunks and use it as a flatbed trailer to haul lumber and I've had no issue with it at all.

As alawys though, your mileage may vary. Maybe I just got lucky :)
I Peter 2:17

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

gstanfield wrote:Maybe I just got lucky :)
I bet having a badge and carrying a gun adds to your luck. :shock: :roll: :lol: :P :wink:
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

gstanfield

Post by gstanfield »

It always adds luck, sometimes good, sometimes bad :wink:
I Peter 2:17

Return to “Trailers and trailering”