air file

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Scott C

air file

Post by Scott C »

Guys please forgive my naveity, is there such a beast as an electric file in the same vein as an air file?

I mean along the lines of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Air-Belt-Sander- ... dZViewItem

Hope that link worked :oops: How do you do your links Graham? You seem able to use regular text as a hyperlink, anyway back to the topic ........

The reason I ask is that I have electricity (that sounds almost obvious) but not air in my garage, where I am building. It is a tool that i think I would get a lot of use out of, but i am not quite ready to go the whole hog and get a compressor. I almost certainly will for future builds.

Many thanks in advance as usual.[/url]
Scotty

Stoker: Tug boat AT 2700 'Joe Mann'
I used to have a handle on life ................. but then it broke off.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Yes, the tool is called a Power File (at least it is in the UK), not many manufacturers seem to make them though and in my experience they don't tend to last too long.

Look at THIS one, and THIS one.

The Makita one is a much better tool than the Black & Decker and well worth twice the price.

To do the links like that you type [url= then add the url and close the brackets, then type the text for instance 'THIS', then type [/url] to close the link.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

Thanks Graham, I found one via a local supplier however the $450.00 price tag just doesn't justify the use it will get initially. Amazing how the same tool which is air driven is 1/10 the price of the electric version. Obviously I need to consider air power seriously when setting up my workshop properly as things progress toward more serious boat builds.
Scotty

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

We burned out 3 of the Black & Deckers at work, all well within the warranty period so we got replacements, after the third one however we insisted on paying the extra and getting the Makita as a replacement, it's a different tool entirely!
We have a big compressor at work and can run air tools, but it's in so much demand for spraying it's useful to have an electric alternative.

tunahelper

Post by tunahelper »

The air file was one on my favorites. I went cheap and used Harbor Frieght junk. I needed 2 but at 29.95 you cant beat it, Get a good compressor though,

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Get a good compressor though,
This is the problem with most air tools, at least those that need a constant flow of air, that such a large (and expensive) volume tank and compressor are needed it makes them impractical for most home users.
And then of course you're restricted to using them where there's an air supply, pretty much everywhere has an electric socket.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

One day.

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

I had a sneaking suspicion that this topic wouldn't have been 'original' & that somebody would troll back through everything just to make me look bad :oops: Thanks John. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& :lol:
Scotty

Return to “Tool Talk”