What should I have on board a small power boat?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

xoo000oox

What should I have on board a small power boat?

Post by xoo000oox »

I've never had a boat before other than a couple jet skis briefly. Hopefully I'll be setting sail soon, what should I have on my boat with me? I'm hoping to avoid being in one of those YouTube videos of the newbie acting like a fool. Obviously life jackets, a whistle or horn, and a fire extinguisher, but what else if anything?

Roberta

Re: What should I have on board a small power boat?

Post by Roberta »

Your best source is a DNR rule book for your state and a US Coast Guard book for boating regulations. There you can find specific requirements for your particular boat. These can also be found online. Happy boating.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

+1 on the DNR and USCG regulations.

For what it is worth, Harbor Freight sells some small water tight box (Apache brand) that are nice for storing supplies on a boat. The smallest is about $10 with a coupon and they go up from there in size and price. I have a basic set of tools (plyers, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, etc...), flashlight, whistle, spare sheer pins, spare spark plugs, and registration.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Basothobryn

Post by Basothobryn »

Boating is fun, but being prepared for an emergency is easier on the land depending on where you boat some things are not as necessary as others. Having an alternate method of propulsion is always a good idea, and probably a requirement. That might be a paddle for a small sailing boat or a small outboard for a larger craft. An epirb if you are going somewhere far from land, or it is mandated. Flares, these would be dependant on where you boat or how far you will go offshore, flares have use by dates so it's best to check with local regulations on what you need. Radios are also helpful but all of these things pale in significance to telling people when you are going out and when you are due to return or arrive. A bad day on the water beats a good day at work, don't panic, stick the bow into the wind, bail out some water have a laugh and carry on.

rginns

Post by rginns »

(For coastal waters... UK but also elsewhere..)
Much depends on how and where you're using your boat. A lot of the below are not necessary on inland lakes for example.
+1 on the VHF radio and the ability to use it.
+1 on flares
+1 on small Back up motor
appropriate protective clothing
GPS
depth gauge
PLB
for larger boats, small life raft / grab bag.
Most importantly know the weather forecast, tell someone of ETA / planned route and have a plan for what to do in an emergency, actively run through different scenarios, what ifs etc.
Have fun !

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Life Jackets for everyone on board. Inflatable Jackets only count if you have it on.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Above mentioned and a good anchor to keep the boat from drifting onto the rocks when she becomes disabled for whatever reason.
Matt B

kens

Post by kens »

I don't know where you are boating, but, emergencies in your locale would take precedence for me.
example: I am in south Georgia, and water & shade is very high on the list of emergency supplies.
When it is 100degrees outside, and sun is reflecting off the water, and your motor crapped out, the VHF, anchor, backup battery, life vests, suddenly become secondary items.
Why? because either way, VHF rescue, or anchor off the rocks, you still waiting a long time for someone to respond, IF THEY, are monitoring VHf.
All the while you are still baking in the sun, stranded. shrivelling up like a slice of bacon while you are waiting.
It all depends on your locale, and your own situation.
Besides that, there is no-way to include ALL the safety items to satisfy ALL the possible emergency scenarios,,,,

I went canoeing before on the white water rapids river, the water was cold and the air wasn't any warmer,,,protection from the cold became the primary concern.

It all just depends on your locale, and your presence on the water
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

rginns

Post by rginns »

kens wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:40 pm
I don't know where you are boating, but, emergencies in your locale would take precedence for me.
example: I am in south Georgia, and water & shade is very high on the list of emergency supplies.
When it is 100degrees outside, and sun is reflecting off the water, and your motor crapped out, the VHF, anchor, backup battery, life vests, suddenly become secondary items.
Why? because either way, VHF rescue, or anchor off the rocks, you still waiting a long time for someone to respond, IF THEY, are monitoring VHf.
All the while you are still baking in the sun, stranded. shrivelling up like a slice of bacon while you are waiting.
It all depends on your locale, and your own situation.
Very true, Kens, luckily we don't have to worry about the 100 degree temperatures in the UK 😊

Return to “Small outboards”