Help me with shipping?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Dave Grason

Help me with shipping?

Post by Dave Grason »

I'm looking at a small outboard on ebay. It's in Monrovia California and the buyer says it's for local pickup only. I'm wondering if there are any forum members close to there that would pick this up for me and help me get it shipped to Tennessee. ....of course, assuming I'm the winning bidder.

Here's the ebay item and URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 784&rd=1,1

I really need to factor any shipping costs and trouble to my forum friends to see if it's even worth the hassle. The only reason that I'm even interested is that I'd like to totally go through the motor and lower unit making it like new. The more I learn about outboards, the more I WANT to learn.

Why is it that such a large percentage of the really COOL stuff is in California? LOL I just NEVER see these motors in my neck of the woods. And given the redneck mentality of the average Tennessee seller, the starting price would be around $3500. Yeah, I'm not kidding. Folks around here have absolutely no clue so they ask for the sky and heavens both.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Ooh nice Dave, just like my '58 Johnson 18, I hear those 35s fairly drink gas though.

I wonder who crackerboxnut is, sounds like someone here, did they bid on it after you posted the link?
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Dave,

My son goes to Pepperdine in Malibu, I am not sure where Monrovia is...i will look it up...if it is anywhere close he would surely pick it up for you.

Steve

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

thanx Steve for that offer. ...but it may be moot.

I also bid on this motor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 303&rd=1,1

I thought that this one would make a good one for the Super Huck Finn I want to build. The bid stayed right at $20 until the last few seconds before it shot to over $100. That means that these outboard buyers are all sniping ...... just like me. Look at the bid times and you'll see that we all hit in the very last split second. That means everyone's using a sniping program.

BTW, here's another 50ish Johnson/'rude:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &rd=1&rd=1

So I probably should bite the bullet and put some money together and get prepared to bid hard if I want one of these jewels. But for right now, I'm probably best off leaving them alone.

So what I'm saying is this. The Johnson in the previous post is standing at a very low price but I really doubt that I'm gonna win it unless I'm willing to get stupid crazy. Then add the shipping on top of it and I don't know if it's really worth it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

terrymc

Post by terrymc »

Dave,

FYI, Monrovia is in southern California just east of Pasadena. That's 400 miles south of me, so I can't be much help...heads up to the LA folks.

I't been my experince that the best way to get something off eBAy is to decide what your max is, and put in the 'automatic bid" option. Still, I think sometimes it's a matter of luck.

You and I must be looking at very differnt things, 'cause NOTHING I ever want is in California!!!

peace,

TRM

crackerboxnut

Post by crackerboxnut »

Hi guys crackerboxnut here, I have been a reader of this forum since it started but was never a registered user. I am on this forum every day and just happened to come accross this post. I just got back from Monrovia :D picking up my VERY cherry 35hp Johnson outboard for $31! This thing is immaculate! It even came with the controls and the electric start wiring harness! Sorry guys :( . I live in Southern California and I am a race car fabricator also build an occassional custom boat trailer also a boat builder. Currently building another crackerbox and restoring an E -service racing runnabout. I love this forum and all the people who submit to it, especially Graham who is always there to answer a question. best regards
-Mike

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Darn you Mike! LOL :lol:

Unfortunately I would not have been able to score a deal like that because the shipping would have changed EVERYTHING. Well, good for you and I hope that turns out to be a really good motor. Do keep us aprised.

Anyway, I just tried something new and I'll let everyone know how it goes. But we have a little paper here called the Thrifty Nickel. It's for folks to just put up notices about anything they want or want to sell. I put in an ad looking for old outboard motors that are "in the way." The ad explains that I'm looking to learn about outboards and if I take something apart and never get it back together again, I won't have lost anything. We'll see what kind of response I get.

crackerboxnut

Post by crackerboxnut »

Hi Dave, I did not know that you were the other bidder on the outboard as I had not been on the Glen-l website for a few days. These really are not worth shipping,I have been working on the old OMC stuff for over 30 years and I still love the old Johnsons and Evinrudes. When you buy on Ebay these big outboards have to be shipped truck frieght which runs about 125.00 and up plus the cost of the crate. Plus when you get these old outboards the first thing you do is check for good compression, then I install new coils which are almost always cracked and I remove the points and condencers and replace them with electronic modules, no more points or condencers. Then I do fuel pump conersions on these engines so you do not need the double line pressure tank and last but not least a carb cleaning and waterpump and check for water in the lower unit. So when you are all done you end up with over 500.00 in these old engines if you have to ship them, but I have seen them go for a thousand dollars on Ebay. I will be glad to help you any way I can, if you can not find a engine near you I have some 35's here.Best Regards Mike :D

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

I have a 1963 'rude Big Twin 40hp short shaft that I bought on ebay a few years ago. I got it for my Zip project but because I haven't gotten the Zip to that point yet, I haven't done anything with the outboard.

I love the classic looks of all the motors from the 50s and early 60s. My Evinrude has a really cool George Jetson/Robby the Robot look to it. To me it's one of the most "retro" looking of any of them. But thank you for the offer. I'll definately be taking you up on it because I really don't know where to start with them.

I have been concerned about finding the proper gas tanks as I didn't really want to use the double line pressure system. I really want to end up with a very retro looking project that is as dependable as any new boat. ....if that's possible and I kinda feel it is.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

There's nothing wrong with the double line pressure tanks, they work very well and are reliable enough, and spare parts are easily available to service them.
If you don't have the tank or if major servicing is needed then fitting a pump is probably an easier solution, but if you have it and it works then why not use it?
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

It's really becoming a question of availability. Here locally, there just doesn't seem to be much available UNLESS you're dealing almost exclusively with ebay. I do buy a lot on ebay but I think there comes a point when I start really wanting to see what I'm buying rather than having to judge by the photos. There have been quite a few double line tanks for sale over the past few months but I haven't been sitting there with my finger on the trigger so to speak and haven't gotten any of them yet. So maybe that's why I've been a little hesitant and looking of other options. It IS nice to know that if I can't find anything that I like, I can go to a different system.

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

Am I reading these posts right - $31 US ????? That works out to less than A$50, or as we like to call them 'South Pacific Pesos'. Seems to me that this was the buy of the century, or is that an accurate price for that motor? I would have expected a couple of hundred dollors at least. Live and learn.
Scotty

Stoker: Tug boat AT 2700 'Joe Mann'
I used to have a handle on life ................. but then it broke off.

Don_W

Post by Don_W »

Dave,

Forget about Ebay! Have a look at Craig's List. http://chicago.craigslist.org/boa/ Looking at the Chicago area boat listings, I see a bunch of moters close to what you are looking for. Check around the other local areas as well.

One other thing about Craigs list is the RSS feedlist (located at the lower right-hand of the page) option. You can get new listings sent to your email.

Hope this helps.

Don

John K

Post by John K »

Dave,
A lot of ebayers will allow you to arrange for your own shipping. I have look into DLH or DHL (whatever their initials are). They will pack and ship, if a person is willing to take it to them.

Don_W

Post by Don_W »

Graham Knight wrote:There's nothing wrong with the double line pressure tanks, they work very well and are reliable enough, and spare parts are easily available to service them.
If you don't have the tank or if major servicing is needed then fitting a pump is probably an easier solution, but if you have it and it works then why not use it?
Grahm,

I am very interested in the possibility if doing a pump conversion on my 57 Johnson 18. Can you provide any insight as to how to do this?

Thanks,

Don

Return to “Small outboards”