ZZZip Kit lands in my shop

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

vupilot

Re: ZZZip Kit lands in my shop

Post by vupilot »

That is really sharp looking and probably a lot lighter than what many, including myself, have done in the past. Great way to do it.
Sam's ZIP

putt putt

Post by Sam's ZIP »

Found a new 25 Suzuki short-shaft at a dealer three hours from me so I made a road-trip. Lead time for new engine orders is "who knows when" so I jumped even though it's a little early for me. Hadn't planned on a white motor...but I like it.

motor-1.jpg
Sam Buchanan
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

That looks great! Now you have a good, reliable motor you can custom fit to your beautiful boat.

Roberta 😊 😊 😊 😊
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Nice find. That will be a sweet running engine I'm sure.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Good snag there. You can always paint it to match your boat.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!
Sam's ZIP

We're decked

Post by Sam's ZIP »

An update; Deck is installed with one sealer coat of epoxy. Next step is to work on the "caulking". My intention is to use micro-balloons/epoxy to fill the routed grooves.
deck-1.jpg
Found a used but solid trailer at a "project" price....it will get a thorough refresh. Only snag is I had to take the 1969 fiberglass boat that was sorta riding on it, I couldn't convince the seller to let me give him this fine vessel. :lol:

trailer-1.jpg

One Sawz-All blade later the clapped out old boat is ready for disposal.

trailer-2.jpg
Sam Buchanan
Sam's ZIP

deck coloration....

Post by Sam's ZIP »

I'm in a quandary about how to finish the deck.

deck-1.jpg

I have been intending to paint the outside "boards" the same burgundy as the hull bottom to hide the flame joints and leave the remainder bright but there is such a drastic difference in the color of the forward and aft ply that I'm thinking the entire deck may need to be painted....maybe in burgundy and another color. I knew the forward and aft halves were different shades but it didn't become so apparent until the epoxy was applied. This is the first, and so far only real disappointment I've had with the ZIP Kit....but it's a biggie....

Yes, one solution is to plank the deck, but I'm trying to keep the boat light.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Sam Buchanan
JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Your Zip is looking great.

One option if you really want a bright deck and keep it light is to use thin veneer. I used 1/42" mahogany on the sides of my Squirt and it gave me the look of a planked hull. These are best applied with a vacuum pump and bagging techniques. Do a little research and see if it will work for you.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!
Sam's ZIP

How many bunks?

Post by Sam's ZIP »

I have the ancient trailer refurbished (bearings, seals, tires, coupler, chains, jack, fenders, lights, paint, etc) and am wondering how many bunks the ZIP owners recommend. I've been thinking of a bunk under each batten (4) but will consider only two is that is all I need.

Your suggestions appreciated.
Sam Buchanan
vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Two is really all you need. No problem with 4 either. The key is to have them right under the battens and extending just past the end of the transom for full support. If only two, placing the bunks inside edges under the battens inside edge so the outside edges of the bunks are also as wide as possible is both plenty of support and plenty wide enough spacing for lateral stability on the trailer.

Youll probably want a 12" V roller or another method of support under the bow as well. You might have to add a cross-member to mount one too. I made a cross-member from wood and u-bolts.

Strapped the boat down with crossing straps to U-bolts mounted on each side of the transon and one strap to the bow handle in my case of not having a bow eye in the stem. An eye through the stem is preferable. In my case I had the cutwater on the bow and not a bow eye. So the winch strap would pull down from the bow handle at a tough angle which makes it harder to retrieve the boat this way but the Zip is light enough to get close then scoot the boat on the trailer into the perfect position before hitting the road.
13872652_10209976223067623_5781998969225801811_n.jpg
Sam's ZIP

Post by Sam's ZIP »

Good info, thanks! I'll press on with two bunks.

You have the biggest ZIP I've seen....it's nearly twice as tall you. :lol:
Sam Buchanan
Sam's ZIP

Getting That '50's Vibe

Post by Sam's ZIP »

Why do I keep thinking about '57 Chevys?

Three coats epoxy, four coats of Pettit EZpoxy topcoat, sand smooth then three coats of clear poly followed by wet-sanding and buffing. That's the plan anyway, have to get the "grout lines" filled somewhere in that process.

paint-1.jpg
Sam Buchanan
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looks great.

Roberta 😊 😊 😊 😊
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That's real sharp, nice job!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Small outboards”