Zip okay for pulling a tube?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Zippy

Zip okay for pulling a tube?

Post by Zippy »

As mentioned in my newbie post, I am saving and planning ahead for my purchase of the zipkit in the fall to start on over the winter. I searched for towing with the zip and mostly found posts about the motor which were informative but my concern is about the structure of the boat at the transom. If you know going in you want to do this, do you beef it up or do anything in addition to the standard build?

We are not talking extreme tubing or anything (we currently pull the kids behind my pontoon boat!) but just curious what others think. Thanks!

Roberta

Re: Zip okay for pulling a tube?

Post by Roberta »

The motor well will add some strength to the transom. Add two extra transom knees outside the one in the plans. Maybe a little more tie into the deck at the top of the transom with some blocking. I would think two small kids or an adult would be fine.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

kens

Post by kens »

When we were kids, we pulled each other around on tubes with a 9.9hp, or anything else we could get our little hands on.
No big deal,
Have at it and have fun !!

btw, that cheesy floating ski-rope you use is gonna break before you hurt the boat.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

TAB

Post by TAB »

Also be aware that the tube will pull a small boat like the zip around. It should not be an issue.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thanks everyone for the advice which I will follow! This is good news for me.
Eddie

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Pull away !

Evan

Post by Evan »

I pulled a tube with my Tuffy no problem. I have glass over the outside and a couple pieces of tape on the inside where I could which was probably not required but won't hurt anything either.

The u-bolts I attach to the tube to are mounted on the transom. I was interested in one of the rings that mount to the motor but they crazy $$$$

Return to “Small outboards”