Key Largo Update - Boise

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Ibrew2be

Re: Key Largo Update - Boise

Post by Ibrew2be »

Bryan, add me to the list of those who like the look of that feather board. Who is the manufacturer?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

The feather board was from woodcraft - it did help they just sent me a $10 off coupon, I have also seen it on Amazon - they had one left here in the store so picked up straight away.

I have attached a pic so you can track it down.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 7.12.49 PM.png
Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Thank you, Bryan. I believe that I too have coupon from Woodcraft. Now I know what I'm going to use it for. :)

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

Barry hope you find one, also a quick tip for those putting stock through the planer.

After a long day some of the stock can move through the bandsaw and not come out as straight as we want, so is wavy. You can run through a jointer but I like my fingers too much, and may not be as controlled with the thin stock.

So one trick I thought I would share is you make a sled for the stock, I only made for the shorter pieces, but basically a piece of ply a small stop glue on end and I used anti slip floor tape to make it grip. It is essential it does not slip when going through the planer.

Worked really well, you start knocking off any high spots and you have at least one side perfectly flat. You can then keep with the sled or just run the stock through as normal at this point.
Attachments
tempImageWneiFY.gif
tempImage1nheTT.gif
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

Trimming out the inside, latest plan dry fit all, refit the seat frames I made a while back and get the upholstery on its way, via my wife's sewing skills, then get back to the mechanicals in parallel.

Can see snow and nothing above 28'F here today so a good day not to heat the shop for stain or epoxy.

Happy New Year all!

Bryan
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_9094.jpg
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Wow, those ceilings look nice!

Are they straight (other than the top one) or did they need to be curved to look straight?
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

No curves - very slight fitting on lower one at deck and then all straight apart from the very top. Working on front cabin now, different with slope of bow. reminds me of the mind games of planking. I have a 1/16th+ gap between them. Will send pics of front soon.
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Are they attached directly to the main frames or did you install other frames to support them? Did you start at the floor and work up? (I have lots of questions because ceilings are one of the next steps in my Belle.)

Thanks!

Bob
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

I started at the floor and I saw that the gap was not level with shims over the 8ft length, I used a strip 1/4 x 1/4 held it against and that gave me the line to scribe, I then used the hand plane to set the line basically a slight cup. After that all stayed straight until the taper on the top, they are 5 1/4 and only that as a result of the boards I milled. I fully expected to have to shape each one, but the hull contour is flat enough in the back.

They are into the frames I thought of adding a strip to the frames but then thought I would have to anchor those anyway so decided not to, will probably add some vertical support strips in between just to tie the curtains together, but probably not to the hull. Will use screws with cups and maybe have the holes slightly over sized when done on the curtain to reduce chance of splitting over time.

Will add a slight round over on them to soften edges, also thought of maybe some thin hard rubber between them and the frame.

Kind of making it up as I go along, but do like the look.
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

So curtains in dry fit, putting floor in and going to set seats so we can get the upholstery under way in parallel

Happy Sunday

Bryan
Attachments
IMG_9320.jpeg
IMG_9322.jpeg
IMG_9323.jpeg
kens

Post by kens »

Sweet
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

So have the seats in dry fit, and now fitting the guard and splash rail, I made from the stock left from the ceilings.

Seats will come out when we have the foam cut, and then I will set all the mechanicals.

Happy Saturday

Bryan
Attachments
IMG_9371.jpeg
IMG_9378.jpeg
IMG_9394.jpeg
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

And the front seat.
Attachments
IMG_9370.jpeg
IMG_9372.jpeg
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looking Great!

Roberta 😊 😊 😊 😊
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

So another job off the list, would have been a bit easier if I had installed the rails before before painting the underside and flipping the hull, I always love masking upside down:(, the original bronze has a couple of years on it, one day they will catch up in shade, and in theory will be below the waterline.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_9430.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9431.jpg

Return to “Hankinson designs”