SoCal La Paz Build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

LaPazBuild

SoCal La Paz Build

Post by LaPazBuild »

Hi all!

Been working for about a month and I'm starting to get the frames for our La Paz 24' on the building form. Had a question to those who have built similar boats with regard to the cross spalls and bracing the framework to the building form. Pictured below is our set-up.

IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0799.jpg

My question is how to get the framework rigid on the building form. I'm pretty sure we've done it according to the plans, but there is still a bit of wiggle in the frames. I'm sure all of this will get super tight once the keel, battens, sheer, and chine are actually in place, but is this something I should address now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ryan
JimmY

Re: SoCal La Paz Build

Post by JimmY »

The keel, sheer, and chines should firm things up. Typically the transom is secured to the form more than other frames, so this will hold things rigid once everything is tied together. Just make sure you are double checking for plumb/square at each frame when installing these longitudinals.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Thanks. We’re double and triple checking as we go. Got the rest of the frames and transom hung today.
F9678B3C-60D7-4661-A1F4-A043CE3603C9.jpeg
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Got the keel, chines, and sheer clamps all hooked up to the frames. Beginning to fit the battens and start the fairing process.
IMG_0816.jpg
Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah »

I'm currently a little further ahead than you on this build. I found that I had to add a little to the form to prevent a little side to side racking. As stated, it will firm up as you go. I put a few additional cross members between the legs of the form to reduce the racking.

Good luck!

btw, where are you located? I'm in Glendora, Socal.
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

@Yeahyea, were located in Temecula. Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking at your build for a few weeks now. You're coming along nicely! Keep the updates coming! It's always reassuring to see that someone else's build looks like ours!
Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah »

Sent you a PM.
Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah »

SRBC8532.JPG
I hope you don't mind my posting a pic here. Here's how my solution to the stem/breasthook junction looks prior to final fairing. It's from a scrap piece of 3/4" ply, beveled on the table saw before I epoxied it on. When I was done the end away from the breast hook was almost non-existent. It creates a little "hook" at the nose, but I like the look.
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

No problem at all. Thanks!

We've faired just about up to frame 6 and are waiting to proceed until we totally wrap our minds around it.
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Just an update on the build. We've begun to put the planking on and it's coming along nicely. We too ran into the issue that @YeahYeah ran into on the innermost batten between frame 6 & 7. There was a section that we couldn't get enough bend out of and had to build up the batten to contact the bottom planking. Every step of this build seems to present a unique challenge! All-in-all it has been very fun and quite rewarding though. Here's a few pictures as it's coming together.
61766309012__92BC8B28-B584-4B1B-9FD0-2E5DF54A1FBB.JPG
61481157889__F8B6343A-6A1C-4B79-93F1-16AA41C7F603.JPG
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

About ready for final sanding and paint! We're looking forward to the flip and getting a chance to see this thing right side up!
IMG_0904.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_0907.jpeg
kens

Post by kens »

Nice work, your moving right along with that.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah »

Yes you are moving right along with that. Passed me up!
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

We've had the good fortune of an abundance of spare time on our hands. So much in fact, we're thinking of naming her "Spare Time." You're boat is looking great! Great work fixing the chine strake! That part of the project was extremely time consuming and labor intensive on our end. We decided to use 1/2" laminations in the forward section, building them up. It was a slow process as each lamination needed to set up before we added to it. We're pretty happy with the lines though. Keep plugging away and we'll both be paddy hopping next summer!
LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

First coat of primer. We kept it a few inches away from the sheer with the hope that it makes for less sanding when we go to glass over the side decking.
D75760EB-094B-4B76-9D04-AF600FEDC074.jpeg
80AD66DB-B630-4976-A01F-7B481958A4C3.jpeg

Return to “Hankinson designs”