Bob Brown’s Belle

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

BobBrown55

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by BobBrown55 »

neel thompson wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:14 am Thanks for the link Bob. I'm on it !!
You’re welcome! And I only take credit for being smart enough to copy someone else; TomB and Aussie found these.
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.
Aussie

Post by Aussie »

They are a great looking vent,

I got classic boat supplies to source these for me from Italy as the supplier wouldn’t seek to a private, had to be to a company.

I have a combination of 4 of the larger size vents on the mid section of deck and the two smaller at the rear.

Boat is looking great Bob!
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

A few more photos from the runs at the end of the 2021 season …

On the trailer after a run in a nearby lake, sporting the new registration number:
E70424FE-27C3-401D-B959-CB77A7463402.jpeg
At the dock preparing for a run on the lake:
FF6C919F-660D-4E89-8398-4F8402B224C1.jpeg
On the trailer in the early morning heading for a mechanic’s shop in Newport, 60 mikes away on the Oregon coast. There were two issues from the first test run in October 2020 still unresolved, the engine warning horn went off about every 60 seconds and the tachometer didn’t work. The mechanic fixed them both! The tachometer was bad; I got a new one, and it’s an upgrade with an engine hours meter. The mechanic attached the Mercruiser diagnostic module on his laptop and discovered the throttle position sensor wasn’t reporting; He tightened the connection and that solved the problem.

Getting both of these issues resolved seems like a really high hurdle was cleared!
00FDA2A8-EED8-402B-A37A-FF05566102D0.jpeg
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

One more photo from an October run on a nearby lake, of my wife and the Belle Isle on the dock:
D9DB95B9-DA72-4EA2-8F96-C841A79B760F.jpeg
It was really fun to get a few runs in this season! Looking forward to installing the windshield, finishing the cabins, and building seats and getting them upholstered, hopefully in time for next season.

Ah, also need to install the cutwater and transom bands, which were just completed and look great!
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Here’s the cutwater temporarily placed. It needs a little trimming so it will fit well under the deck and at the bottom.
D2051F25-BC7B-44F6-BEC5-C11ECC706684.jpeg
Here’s the starboard transom band. Also needs to be trimmed and joined with the rub rail.
C7D2A528-8372-4CCD-8309-6B279B05B511.jpeg
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Very nice Bob. The photos really show off the colors of the wood. Congratulations on a successful run and resolution of the two issues.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

mrintense wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 pm Very nice Bob. The photos really show off the colors of the wood. Congratulations on a successful run and resolution of the two issues.

Thanks, Carl. It’s a great relief to have those issues resolved, especially the throttle position sensor. Looking forward to the next run, seeing whether the engine runs better. Also looking forward to getting a few more hours on the engine and feeling free to open her up.

Also looking forward to my new shop! We’re going to move closer to our ‘kids’ in the Portland area (90 miles away) and bought a really nice 3-bay garage, with one bay 29’ long so the Belle will fit. Fortunately, it has a house attached that I think my wife will like.

Should have known, but didn’t, that a standard garage is 20’ deep. Really difficult to fit a 25’ boat / trailer in there, even if you can find a triple garage!

Taking possession Feb 1, and the Belle will be one of the first things moved.

An added benefit is an active ACBS chapter in the area and boat ramps on 3 major rivers (Willamette, Columbia, and Clackamas) less than 30 minutes away.

2022 should be a great year!
Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

The color of your boat is unique and striking, very beautiful.
Matt B
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Hercdrvr wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:45 pm The color of your boat is unique and striking, very beautiful.
Matt B
Thanks, Matt! Looking forward to getting the trim on and interior done.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Looking Great Bob!
Wish I had tested in the water before finishing.
On another posting, you said you had questions on the ceilings.
Are they attached directly to the main frames or did you install other frames to support them? Did you start at the floor and work up? (I have lots of questions because ceilings are one of the next steps in my Belle.)
I added pieces to the frames, so that the ceilings would be straight up. I started at the floor and worked my way up. It was necessary to spile the boards to get straight lines. I used 1/4" boards for the ceilings.
Some pics below:
Jim
Attachments
Here you can see the boards attached to the sides of the frames
Here you can see the boards attached to the sides of the frames
20170407_153643.jpg
20190331_165451.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Jimbob wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:43 pm
I added pieces to the frames, so that the ceilings would be straight up. I started at the floor and worked my way up. It was necessary to spile the boards to get straight lines. I used 1/4" boards for the ceilings.
Some pics below:
Jim
Jim,

Thank you for the description of what you did and the photos. That’s very helpful (other than the bar being set so high; yours looks great!).

Thanks,

Bob
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Not sure how I missed out on following this great project... congrats on a beautiful build!

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

BobBrown55 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:22 pm
Should have known, but didn’t, that a standard garage is 20’ deep. Really difficult to fit a 25’ boat / trailer in there, even if you can find a triple garage!

How well I know this. My garage is 21 foot 3 inches and the boat is 21 foot! When I get the outboard installed in a couple of months, she will no longer be able to stay in the garage so I have to line up some storage somewhere.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise
RobertCugini

Post by RobertCugini »

No problem Carl, just put it on the diagonal and take up two bays. Your wife will then be REALLY happy.

;)

RC
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

mrintense wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:04 am
BobBrown55 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:22 pm

How well I know this. My garage is 21 foot 3 inches and the boat is 21 foot! When I get the outboard installed in a couple of months, she will no longer be able to stay in the garage so I have to line up some storage somewhere.
Carl, this was even more difficult than I expected. Just as I 'should have' known that a standard garage is not long enough for a 24' boat / trailer, I 'should have' known that a standard single garage door is 8' wide. That doesn't work well when my trailer is about 8'-4" at the wheels. Close isn't good enough in this case. Fortunately, the double bay garage in the new house is longer than standard so the boat can be stored in one of the bays in that section (with a couple of inches to spare!). And this will actually work better as the 3rd bay will be my workshop; it'll be easier to pull my rig out to work in the shop than to pull the boat out. Photo below of the setup, full of rigs and the toy.
IMG_3237_jpg.jpg

Return to “Hankinson designs”