Bob Brown’s Belle

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

BobBrown55

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by BobBrown55 »

mickfly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:01 pm Love the trumpets! Can you share the source?
They are “Buck Algonquin S/S Transom Exhaust Hose Fittings.” If you search for that on the Internet, I think you’ll find several sources that carry them, as Buck Algonquin manufactures many parts for boats. I got mine from Jamestown Distributors as they are a source I’ve used a lot. I found them elsewhere for slightly less money, but bought them at Jamestown because I have a lot of experience with them, know them to be reliable (though they’ve been slowed some by the Covid pandemic, but not as much as others it seems) and knew I could easily return them if I didn’t like them.
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

So my eyes weren't deceiving me...the tips are actually angled? I saw Jimbob make an angle bushing out of mahogany for his exhaust tips and I was planning to go the same way. However, these are really intriguing. Seems like I keep finding tips I like better...and are more expensive, but that's an area where I don't want to skimp.
Completed builds:
Guillemot kayak (16 ft, 2001)
Pygmy Double Kayak (20 ft, 2003)
Skin-on-frame kayak (17 ft, 2011)
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Glen-L Key Largo, Hankinson Design (20 ft, 2021)
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

mickfly wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:27 pm So my eyes weren't deceiving me...the tips are actually angled? I saw Jimbob make an angle bushing out of mahogany for his exhaust tips and I was planning to go the same way. However, these are really intriguing. Seems like I keep finding tips I like better...and are more expensive, but that's an area where I don't want to skimp.

Yeah, I was surprised by the angle of the trumpets. Had them for a few months and was trying to figure whether the angle would point them up or down. Turns out, the angles perfectly offset the curve on the horizontal plane. Hard to see with it jammed up against my garage wall, but it looks like they are perfectly inline with the engine stringers.
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Ok, time to catch up. First, I got my title, registration, and license in the mail! So, she's legal.

Following up my earlier post on the HIN, the documents included an HIN number. I'll give some more thought to whether I have a plaque made to mount the HIN on the boat.
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Back in August, I said, "Plan now is to finish installing the gauges, build more seating, install the exhaust and get an expert to check her and get her into the water for testing."

I finished all that!

First highlight was starting the engine for the first time. I did that with my son and his family in his driveway last Thursday. It was awesome!!

Took a few times turning the ignition switch without hitting the starter to let the fuel pump get the line primed, then it fired right up and idled nicely. The sound from the exhaust is AWESOME; exactly what I wanted. MANY Thanks to Roberta for sharing her muffler source and exhaust design.

The local newspaper did a feature story on my build earlier this week and the writer described the sound really well: "a steady, throbbing rumble, like a Detroit muscle car idling impatiently at an intersection waiting for the light to change."

On Friday, I took her to Jim West, owner of West Coast Classic Boat Restoration in Vancouver, WA. He aligned the prop shaft and checked her over. So glad I did that, as I'm not comfortable with the engine / prop shaft alignment, and I learned so much from him. Money well spent, and he'll be a great resource in the future as his experience and knowledge are VERY deep. I'm extremely lucky to have found him.

The plan was to take her to a nearby lake for a test run, but it was closed. So, we ended up on the Columbia! A bit nerve wracking at first, but all went smoothly.

Here she is at the dock right after launch. I'm very pleased that she floats so close to the painted waterline.
1 20201002-IMG_6151.jpg
The view from the front ...
2 20201002-IMG_6153.jpg
Idling out from the dock. Jim West is monitoring and adjusting the prop shaft log.
3 20201002-IMG_6155.jpg
kens

Post by kens »

Beautiful build.
I didn't have any floorboards my first time out either !! (don't ask how)
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looking Great, Bob.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

A couple more photos from the test run ...

The view of the prop wash as we cruised at higher speed.
4 20201002-_MG_7386.jpg
Pulling her out. The trailer is awesome! Easy to launch and load, and trails really well.
5 20201002-62337751528__F4386D05-F4F5-439E-8647-D871D7F2CE16.jpg
To break the engine in, we hit it hard a few times, throttle wide open. That was amazing!! It threw us back in our seats and the sound was awesome!!

A great test run. Love the way she performs. And a very short list of issues. I installed the shift cable wrong, pushing forward puts her in reverse. (Sure thought I'd check that several times.) Tach doesn't work. Engine warning horn, which beeps twice when the ignition is turned on, kept beeping twice about every 60 seconds. I later learned that this happens even if the engine isn't running, with the ignition in the 'on' position.

So, three problems, one easy fix (the shifter). I'm very happy with that.

However, does anyone have a possible solution for the tach and engine warning horn issues? (The engine is a MerCruiser.) I've done some testing and read the manual (which is a joke) and don't see a solution. Those two issues may be related.
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

After the test run, I moved her back to the cradle so I can build the deck and finish the interior.

Used the '2x4 gantry,' hoists, and strap used in the flip and to load her onto the trailer. Here she is, hanging after the trailer was pulled out.
a 20201006-IMG_6201.jpg

Lifted the stern with my 2 new boat stands, after using them to lift her just enough to slide the trailer forward so the stands could get into this position.
b 20201006-IMG_6202.jpg

There she is on the cradle, ready for the next phase.
c 20201006-IMG_6204.jpg
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

kens wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:03 am Beautiful build.
I didn't have any floorboards my first time out either !! (don't ask how)
Thanks, Ken!

I have a plywood floor in the forward cockpit, but intentionally left the stern open to facilitate checking the logs and other gear.

What did you use on your floor when finished?
kens

Post by kens »

You gotta come to the Gathering to get that answer !!!!
that's worth a couple beers !!!
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Congratulations Bob,

Looks great and I can imagine the smile that would have been plastered on your face!
Glad it all went well, now you are on the home stretch
Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

Nice work on the transfer :)
See Simple!
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Bob Perkins wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:16 am Nice work on the transfer :)
See Simple!
I’ve learned to never doubt your recommendations! :D
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

It has been a while since I've posted; October, in fact, when she was in the water for testing. I've been making some progress, working to get her in shape to be in the water this spring, though there will still be work to do.

Here's the deck framing ...
01 Deck frames 20201113-IMG_6426.jpg

The exhaust system was installed on a temporary basis for the test in the water. I put a couple more coats of varnish on the transom and permanently mounted the exhaust trumpets.
02 Transom varnish & mount trumpets 20201209-IMG_0139.jpg
To be continued ...
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hankinson designs”