CNC Conversion

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

steveh41

Re: CNC Conversion

Post by steveh41 »

Alan,

Great idea to prime the frames while you can get to them... this is going to be a really beautiful build!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Gents....

Thanks very much for the encouraging words!

I'm trying to do a 'first rate' amateur job.
Some days go pretty well but on others I seem to be mostly making saw dust and firewood.

Regards,
Alan

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Alan

We've all been there! :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Don't ask my wife about making saw dust. You'll get an earful. If possible I would recommend some sort of dust collection system.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello,
It's been a good while since I've posted an update but I'm making slow headway on this boat. My wife and I were away for the months of June and September, so that was part of the slow pace. Redoing since things and improving things takes time too.

I spent a good bit of time continuing to fair the frame. I've pretty well lost my finger prints so perhaps should start a 'life of crime'!!!!

I used 2 layers of 1/4" okume on the bottom. The area of the bottom from the stem to the second frame is quite shapely so took a good while to fair satisfactorily. I have so little skill it's really difficult to get the results I'm hoping for.

For about the last 6 months I've been thinking of the benefits of being able to 'rotate' the boat as I work on various parts of it.
I was reminded of the 'rotissorie' that car restorers use on some car bodies. I looked into buying one but the price for a new one is $1000+. In addition I'd have to come up with away to use it with the boat frame.
So I decided to build 2 wooden 'pylons' and mount them to the frame with a 1/2" bolt at the transom and a 1/2" rod at the stem. I thought I'd figured it out pretty well but my wife was certain I'd have a catastrophe.
Today was the day to try to spin the boat. It worked, and it's easy to turn the boat to any position to help in having access to what I'm working on. I have 2 rope 'safety lines' that are staying in place for at least the time being.

Also this afternoon I started fitting the first of the mahogany planks I'll be using on the topsides. The planks are made from 7/16" mahogany (African) and I'm using 6" and 8" wide planks.
I was able to get the first plank fitted and hopefully will epoxy it in place tomorrow and then just about 19 more to go.
Although the 'whiskey plank' is traditionally the last plank I celelebrated the first one too. My wife with a glass of wine and me with a visit to my favorite
Old Grandad 100. Boat building is fun some days!!!

Maybe epoxy the plank in place tomorrow and start on the next one!

Regards,
Alan
DSC_0685.JPG
DSC_0688.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Solid progress Alan... two thumbs up!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello Folks,

I hope all of you have had good health and have been staying safe from the Virus.

I've continued working on the planking and it's been a slow process. The mahogany is really quite nice to work with but I've had to spend time learning how to 'spile' (is that the right term?) each plank. I then cut it to rough shape either with the band saw or saber saw. Then finishing them with a hand plane. Some of them are seriously 'banana' shaped but look straight on the boat.

I think I'm finally seeing some progress in getting really nice fits between the planks. I'm at plank number 12 or 13 so 7-8 yet to make and install. I do some rough fairing after each plank to make sure I don't have a poor piece of mahogany or a poor installation before going on to the next plank.

So, that's the news! Plus a few photos.

Regards,
Alan
Attachments
DSC_0705.JPG
DSC_0702.JPG
DSC_0696.JPG

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello Folks,
I hope you all remain well and are trying to be safe from the virus.

I've been having a wonderful time continuing on with planking the topsides. I'm a bit amazed at how banana shaped the 2 upper forward planks are... they just don't look that curvy on the boat. In my last post I indicated that I was having more success fitting each plank but I'm finding I still have to struggle with each one. I'm just not very good at it. I can JUST get a 5" wide finished plank out of an 8" wide rough plank.

I've also made a simple 'dummy' engine so I can get an idea just how that's going to fit in place. The 'dummy' indicates the length of the engine and transmission, the position of the engine mounts on the engine, the height of the top of the head and the bottom the oil pan, and also the angle that the prop shaft will take as it fastens to the transmission shaft flange.

I've begun installing more of the deck battens and that seems to be one of the few things that's going well. I fear I'm missing something because it seems too easy!

I've also continued putting 2 coats of primer on the inside of the boat while I have good access.

So, that's it for a snowy February 1st.

Regards,
Alan

DSC_0712.JPG
DSC_0723.JPG
DSC_0724.JPG
[/img]

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Wow! Looks great!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Post by TomB »

Excellent! I like your "rotisserie" too. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

kens

Post by kens »

Thats some clean looking work there, nice job
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello Folks,

I've finished the topside planking and have 'roughly' faired it.
I've also finished putting primer on the interior of the hull.

I've been been working on installing the rudder, steering box, shaft and steering wheel.

I've also been working on the seat framing and surfaces.
Once I had a seat to sit on I was able to determine where the firewall and toe board wants to be. Since I stretched the boat one foot I had a couple of extra inches in the cockpit.

Designing what I wanted and then building it has been quite some fun. You can see in the photo that I've been working on a 'template' for the dashboard too.

I'm just about 2 years into this and must say that I remain just a mediocre craftsman on my best days.

Regards,
Alan

Attachments
DSC_0736.JPG
DSC_0733.JPG
DSC_0731.JPG

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

3 more photos:

Attachments
DSC_0747.JPG
DSC_0739.JPG
DSC_0737.JPG

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Alan, it's looking really good. Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello Folks,

I hope everyone continues to be well!

Couple of things to mention...

I wanted to buy some gauges that have a 40s-50s look to them. There are some contemporary gauges that have a vintage look to them which I thought I'd end up using. BUT
Over the last couple of years in looking on line and at the few older boats I've seen in person I realized that a few boats had a single combination gauge that included a large tach and smaller oil pressure, water temperature, and amp (?) gauge. I started looking for one and found what appeared to be a nice one from a classic boats parts guy in Wisconsin. It's a little over 6" in diameter. The price was about what the cost of new gauges would add up to. It was described as being nos and in fact turned out to be a beauty (in my eye). I'm really tickled to have it.

I'm still working around the cockpit. I decided that instead of a windshield I'd like to make a raised cowl and coamings similar to what some Hacker runabouts had and some of the VanDam boats have.

It's turned ou to be a nice challenge... first on paper, then out of cardboard, then poplar, and finally mahogany. The sheathing on the cowl itself, especially where it meets the deck, has proved to be a bit of a mystery for me.
I'm not nearly finished but thought I'd post a few photos to show what's going on. I'd love the hear people's thoughts about the shape of the individual pieces that form the face of the cowl.

My wife and I on at Lake Michigan for a month so I'm really pondering this.

Regards,
Alan

[img
A65C6203-54CB-4E9A-BB1D-D4B8ECAB7F54.jpeg
[/img]
Attachments
7B4EF405-CE8C-4933-BB5C-D51F5EF818F2.jpeg
Last edited by Alan71 on Sat May 08, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hankinson designs”