Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

neel thompson

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by neel thompson »

Just my two cents: The only way to have any good maneuverability with these single engine inboards is to have either a bow or stern thruster. Yes, you can use the rudder along with short forward and reverse spurts to give you limited control. But if you want to put it where you want it every time with or without wind, through a stern thruster on her. They are not pretty, but neither is smashing into a dock !!!
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Roberta and Bill. I have a plan to practice...as some yahoo put a floating dock out in the middle of a wide tidal creek. He put a motor on it and called it a boat, but he's been fighting with the city every since. Nevertheless, a great place to practice docking...after a few tries with something softer like a crab-pot float!

Neel...the ship, has literally sailed. I'd love to put a thruster on, but I've put about as much time and money into the build as I can muster. I'll just practice, practice, practice. I read a good tip for backing away from a starboard dock (LH prop, port helm)...push the stern gently away from the dock and back away at idle, letting the prop walk straighten the stern as you back up. Of course, wind and current might have something to say about that tip!

Ken, most of us have learned you can only take on a project like this if you have a supportive spouse. Glad you liked the video!

I took the helm for 20 minutes or so and gladly ceded control to Susan...and even gave my mechanic a turn. I took over to make my run at the dock, make that two runs at the dock.
Completed builds:
Guillemot kayak (16 ft, 2001)
Pygmy Double Kayak (20 ft, 2003)
Skin-on-frame kayak (17 ft, 2011)
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Glen-L Key Largo, Hankinson Design (20 ft, 2021)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Enjoy the journey and experience.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

You'll get the feel for it. I learned to tell my passengers not to help until I ask. I have to back into my slip. I had it going perfectly. then this woman gave a bearhug to a piling. I had to correct that, then start over. :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I was hard set on a stern thruster but ditched the idea after a few few hours at the helm. It’s a piece of machinery and it takes some time to master it. Doesn’t matter if it’s a boat, airplane, backhoe or a rotor tiller, no substitute for experience.
Roberta, you are so right about a straight inboard swinging the stern way more than a I/O drive or outboard. You can’t be parallel and 2ft away from the dock and hard turn away. Bang, transom corner every time.
It’s like when I was kid and driving one of the cheap remote control cars that only turned one direction. If you wanted to go right you had to back up left .
Matt B
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Once you get the hang of it, inboard boat steering starts to get second nature. I have seen several boaters who have been piloting inboard boats most of their lives do amazing maneuvers by coordinating rudder, throttle, and transmission input on their boat. We'll get there. Keep practicing and learning.

Roberta
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

For the next several weeks, I'll just pretend I'm docking my boat at Carnegie Hall

Thanks Roberta, your advice and the help from the rest of the forum made this possible.
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

:D :D :D :D :D
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Another productive trial. Idle was high at the dock. Stopped and anchored a few minutes later as it was running higher than safe shift range. Got the idle at 650 but took multiple attempts to retrieve my anchor. Turned out we were grabbed onto some sea-floor debris. Got some rusted bonus chain and metal when the anchor finally broke free. I'm just glad I didn't have to cut free over $120 of anchor, line and hardware.

After tooling around for a bit and taking a lunch break on the beach, we found some flat water and opened her up. About 36 knots (41 mph) at 4100 rom. Looks like I need to go down a pitch and a half?

Docking went smoothly under ideal conditions--starboard dock, portside breeze. Angled her in at New, slower idle speed. Reverse gear (and breeze) pulled the transom gently against the dock.
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Now you're talkin'.

Roberta :D
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Switched out my prop last night. I had an OJ 12 X 14 and I switched it to an OJ 12X13. OJ does not have any other options. I'm hoping this is the fix, but I suspect I might have to return it and get something else. Not sure where to look, but I'll start with Michigan Wheel...who was NOT responsive In July when I was looking to buy. OJ has been awesome, but they don't have another prop...and I'm not really sure what I need. I figure I'll start throwing people and gear overboard until I'm up to the desired rpm.
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Mick,
I have yet to try my propeller, but I got one from ACME (12-1/2 x 13, 3-blade) for my barrelback. They were very helpful and responsive when it came to choosing the propeller (but I can't really say if it is the correct one yet, obviously). They also have a fairly large amount of diameters, pitches and cuppings to chose from.
Thomas
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Acme should be able to get you going. I'm surprised OJ didn't have a better selection.

Roberta
Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

The 4.3 might be the perfect engine for the runabouts we are building. Same bore and stroke as a 350 with 4 inches of extra leg room. Keep posting your prop numbers.
Matt B
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Boat Christened Saturday. Emotional ceremony with a small group of attendees and a large group on zoom!
We offered rides to a few close friends over the weekend. Boat performed well...and likely logged 6 or more engine hours. During a pre-launch check, I noticed some black residue below the stuffing box. We did a short run and tied up to a dock. The stuffing box was hot, but not so hot that it burned my hand. Nevertheless, I assumed it was too tight. I backed the nut off until it was dripping regularly, waited until it had cooled...and then gradually hand tightened until it was dripping about once per minute, without the prop turning. Tightened up the lock nut and gave it a good long run. When I checked again, there was respectable drip puddle and the shaft seemed cooler. Still very warm, but cooler. Running in 83 degree seawater temps late summer in Charleston.

I read that shaft temp is supposed to be about 30-40 degrees (F) above water temp and that shaft/stuffing box temp is more important than drip rate.
I'll keep tweaking.

Wind and seas chop prevented a thorough WOT test with the new prop. I got up to 4250 rpm during a short run in a choppy sea. Breezy day kept the water churning. Hoping for fair seas at Lake Chickamauga on Friday. Tide shift and prevailing winds gave us 2-3 foot standing waves as we approached the dock. Fly Boys (!) handled well, but occupants got "cooled off" thoroughly.
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)

Return to “Hankinson designs”