Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by mickfly »

It’s possible, but another source of frustration is that MI motorz did not send, and does not have, a manual for the 4.3 L! They sent me a manual for the 5.7 but there is no indication in that manual that the oil is temporary. I’ll pump some out and replace the plugs. Hope that does the trick.
Completed builds:
Guillemot kayak (16 ft, 2001)
Pygmy Double Kayak (20 ft, 2003)
Skin-on-frame kayak (17 ft, 2011)
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Glen-L Key Largo, Hankinson Design (20 ft, 2021)
Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Depending on someone else to show up is a risky plan. She’s your engine now, time to get to know her.
Drain It, replace the filter and dump in 5 qts. Done, it’s at the full level. If the dip stick isn’t reading full level then scratch a mark on the stick.
Matt B
TomB

Post by TomB »

Mick,

Do a internet search, 4.3L Mercruiser engine manual. https://www.downloadboatmanuals.com/mot ... ce-manual/ https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-p_YE0 ... dRtxf/view. The info there may not be exactly match your engine, bet it is close.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23 & just starting Rosita
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Here is a scan of an engine tag that was on my Crusader engine. It describes a preservative that was sprayed or fogged into the engine for short term preservation. Could be that was what caused your smoking and rough running. I would suck the oil out and replace it with fresh oil that you intend to use and replace the filter and clean the spark plugs. I have a suction tank that draws the oil out through the dip stick tube. Readily available online. I think Atwood made mine. My records show I changed the oil and filter after 9 hrs. I most likely changed it after initial startup and at 9 hrs to remove and manufacturing contaminants.

Here is a link to the oil extractor I have.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwood- ... cordNum=15

Roberta
Attachments
engine tag.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I purchased a new, mercruser 4.3 MPI engine from Michigan Motorz. The manual came on a CD. Is yours a mercruser? Other manufacturers also use the 4.3 chevy block. I just checked out the predelivery section and the only thing it says is to check the oil level and make sure you don't overfill. I would drain the oil down to the full line. Use a vacuum pump that connects to the dipstick tube. On a previous boat, I had a pump that connected to an electric drill for the removal of oil. It worked great. Some engine manufacturers have a special break in oil that is later replaced after the break in period. My manual says nothing about any special oil. If you can't find the appropriate manual online, The CD that I have has a phone number for a free copy. If that is no longer available, I can send you a copy of mine.
Jim
Attachments
20210820_110158.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks all and thanks Matt for some not-so-gentle prodding. I’m not a motor guy but if I can learn to install and wire a motor , I can learn to take care of it. I bought a pump and will either remove what I need to remove or remove it all and replace the filter ( not sure the latter is necessary) the 5.7 manual says to replace the oils after at least 10 but not more than 20 hours.
Jim …I bought the MPS43C (MI motorz) not listed as a mercruiser but seems like the same class. I’ll see if I can get a CD or an online manual. Next up is to replace the spark plugs, which will take some thought but seems doable.
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
kens

Post by kens »

I would drain ALL the oil and change filter.
Just the thought of any residual shipping oil, or oil contaminated with preservative, is just cause to change it all out.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks. I arrived at that conclusion when I leveled the boat today and checked oil wiped the dipstick. The rag had traces of soot on it. My pump arrives tomorrow… so a complete oil change and filter is in order.
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Suspicion confirmed. My engine arrived with roughly twice the required oil. I got a pump and pumped ~4.5 quarts of oil out (see attached). The oil on the dipstick is now just a bit above operating range. I’m going to run it for a few minutes tomorrow before pumping out the remaining 4.5 quarts. Then I’ll add fresh oil and filter. Sigh… How does this happen? I feel like MI Motorz, at the very least, owes me for new oil, filter and plugs. I’m guessing they won’t agree.
Attachments
084821E3-FFFC-49FA-8725-724831DD0FA3.jpeg
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

They may have over filled it as a preservation measure, but that should have been conveyed to you with a plan for setting up and start up. Glad you are getting it under control.

I spoke with several people at Michigan Motors when searching for a motor for the Torpedo. Never felt confident or comfortable with them or their products. Never seemed to be able to answer my questions satisfactorily.

Roberta
kens

Post by kens »

Well Geez, what a disparity.
I acquired a older PCM engine, (PCM owns Crusader), looking for info.
Remember the 8-pin wire thread of mine?
michiganMotorz at least gave me a slight hint of info.

Crusader/PCM wouldn't even answer the gawddamn phone !!!

Maybe michiganmotorz is actually at the upper tier of customer support nowadays. and that might not mean much
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

That's probably because you are such a sweet old loveable guy, Ken. :D

Roberta
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Roberta and Ken. Since I didn't get a 4.3 manual or any info about the oil, it's hard to know why there was so much oil or how I would know it was overfilled.

Moving on.

The SC boat inspector is coming tomorrow. Then my case has to be reviewed by a panel at the end of the month. If everything goes well, I should be registered by mid September. So... I'm still a possible for the gathering.

Mick
Completed builds:
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Hope all the planets align and everything goes your way, Mick. Hope to see you at the Gathering.

Roberta :D
patflanagan

Post by patflanagan »

I just bought plans for key largo. Reading through the posts on your index and saw the questions on oil. My stupid question. Why can you not build with a through hull drain plug

Return to “Hankinson designs”