Texas Barrelback 20

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

steves

batteries

Post by steves »

Ok gang,
I'm looking at batteries and understand the reasons for going with AGM type batteries. I also understand the desire to go with
  • a house battery and an engine battery

my question is, for a PCM 343 engine I probably want a odyssey 34M-PC1500 (due to the cranking amps required) but do a I save some change and go for a smaller house battery or go with the same as the engine battery for redundancy?

If I were made of money this would not be a question!

Thanks everybody!

Steve
Roberta

Re: Texas Barrelback 20

Post by Roberta »

I have that Odyssey battery in the Torpedo. I replaced it this year after 6 years of service. Try Battery Mart for a decent price. $335.00. Odyssey makes a nice mount for it.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Do you really need an additional house battery for a Barrel Back? Are you planning on running electrical equipment with the engine off for extended periods? That battery will provide a lot of power on it's own.

Roberta
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I have two batteries in the Tahoe. It's overkill. If you are going offshore it may be a good idea.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
steves

Post by steves »

Roberta and Bill,
I dont intend to take my barrelback offshore and was thinking that everyone put in 2 batteries.

Heck, if I dont need 2 I'm happy with one.

Roberta, I did see the nice mounting bracket for the Oddyssey.

$305 via amazon btw.

Thanks for the help and $ saving tips!

Steve
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Good find and glad you have this resolved. Most dual battery systems are for people needing the extra power. Us day cruisers generally don't need it.

Roberta
Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Hi Steve,

Sounds like you have decided on the battery already, so this might not be helpful at all, but would just like to chime in that I have good experience with Optima batteries. Have bought the Blue Top D31M for my boat (but don’t have any experience with that specific one yet). On paper it’s good, and I think the price is comparable to the one you have mentioned.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/products/bluetop-d31m

Thomas
psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

I agree with them all Steve. With my 30 year old plastic boat that has a BBC 454 in her, she came from factory with only 1. I did add another as we like listening to the stereo for hours while on the lake, at anchor.

Trust me, less is better. My Mowdy Fishng boat has 4 AGMs (2 in series for TM, 1 crank, 1 house) that I just had to replace. I couldn’t afford the odyssey’s times 4. I bought the batteries plus Duracell brand at 200 bux a pop. Odyssey’s were 350 a pop for these compact ones I need.

K.I.S.S. as Ken and I like to say. :lol: :wink:
mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I was also thinking two batteries, but the forum discussion we had convinced me to go with one. I'm only running two blowers, two bilge pumps, depth sounder, horn, gauges, and nav/anchor lights. I'm not planning to go offshore and I run where there are typically lots of other boats/boaters. I'll also likely renew my Sea Tow membership.

I went with the OPTIMA blue top (dual purpose) partly because I had a limited space under my rear seat (Key Largo) and that it could be mounted in any position. I also liked the idea that if I added more electronics, the deep cycle aspect might be useful. It fit, just barely, mounted sideways in my homemade bracket (Optima bracket would not fit).

I've only started my boat three times and I've not run it yet on the water, so I can't vouch for the longevity of the Optima battery. It was in the same price range...$325 as I recall.

Mick
Completed builds:
Guillemot kayak (16 ft, 2001)
Pygmy Double Kayak (20 ft, 2003)
Skin-on-frame kayak (17 ft, 2011)
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Glen-L Key Largo, Hankinson Design (20 ft, 2021)
kens

Post by kens »

Sea Tow membership is good stuff. if you need them once and only once, that alone has paid for several years worth member fees.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I'll be going with two because it's a cruiser although I imagine that other than the stereo and fans, electrical use will be minimal. It was more for piece of mind than anything else.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise
steves

Flooring/decking

Post by steves »

So here's my flooring complete. It was kinda fun to lay it in there and the material feels so nice on the feet!
20210817_153520.jpg
I used 2 rolls of this stuff off Amazon and ended up with significant (30% of the second roll) leftover:

https://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Yacht-Synt ... 544&sr=8-5
Last edited by steves on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Man, does that look nice! Much nicer than plywood floors with vinyl mats like I did.
Makes you want to take your shoes off and feel the beauty!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969
steves

Post by steves »

Jim,
I've learned from and followed your beautiful build for years, you've nothing to be ashamed of with that build!

Thanks for the compliments sir,

Steve
steves

Post by steves »

20210822_130804.jpg
I got my dripless seal installed. It was a tight fit! I'm glad I didn't move my motor back anymore.

I had to build a seal compressor to make enough room to it all in
Attachments
20210822_153109.jpg

Return to “Hankinson designs”