Roll and Tip Painting Method

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Well, I tried in out "over there" and it worked. I tried myself to put it here, no luck. It must have some kind of block to it, to keep from posting else where? Good video thou.
One day.

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

I have been unable to see the video discussed above but have an understanding of the concept of roll and tip. My question is this - Is this method preferable to spraying? I have access to a friends spray equipment and I have done some spraying in the past, so it is not totally unfamiliar to me.

If the roll and tip method is better then I will save my time to haul the equipment over to my place and rig plastic sheeting etc. I will be painting inside anyway.
Scotty

Stoker: Tug boat AT 2700 'Joe Mann'
I used to have a handle on life ................. but then it broke off.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Scott C wrote: I have access to a friends spray equipment
What type of an outfit is it?
One day.

DanH

Post by DanH »

I think it depends on many variables:

- Type of spray equipment
- Spray facility
- Safety equipment
- Your experience with spraying

Personally, I believe that us amateurs are better off with roll and tip for a couple of reasons. First, nearly all marine paints can now be successfully applied with roll and tip method. Some are good right out of the can and other require "brushing" additives, but each manufacturer cleary states how to do it. Second, spraying solvent based marine paints requires proper safety equipment. An organic vapor respirator isn't enough.

Here is a pic of a painted Boston Whaler that I completed in the spring. This was painted with System Three's water borne (very little solvent) linear polyurethane (2-part) and applied via roll and tip.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

I concur, Dan. Alot of the threads of your post, was going to be in my next (and deeper). I was just going to wait till Scott came back. In the long run, spraying just isn't worth the cost (and I don't mean just money). One do need to be set-up for doing such.
I also agree that one can get vary good results just from roll & tip.
One day.

capt jake

Post by capt jake »

I always had horrible luck with roll and tip. Must have been the paint. ;) I broke down and bought a sprayer. Lots of time masking, for sure, but the paint job is completed in short order. I am not an expert sprayer by any means, my sailboat was painted by a pro. He had it all done in a few hours; two tone and clear. :) My pram was sprayed in an afternoon last year and I am very pleased with my results.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Didn't you buy one of those HVLP paint spray outfits?

Something along these lines.............
http://www.toolcenter.com/TURBINAIRE/index.html
One day.

capt jake

Post by capt jake »

It is an HVLP but not a turbine unit. It is run of of compressed air. I actually got my present one from HArbor Fright for about $50, just to try the process out. I will probably step up to a better unit if and when I ever build my dream boat. :) Though this one works fine for me. :)

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

One of these, just wondering how you liked it with the use a of boat paint?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7669

I've done alot of spray painting but, neather of these types.
One day.

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

Wow - quick responses, thanks guys. John, I really don't know for sure what the setup is, suffice to say that my mate (buddy or pal to you lot !!) does a lot of work in this area. He works a lot with 2 pak automotive paints so I was intending to lean on him for guidance when my time came.

All that being said I am impressed with the finish on Dans whaler. It certainly gives me something to think about. As I said I have done some spraying in the past although quality finish was not the highest priority. Will I get a feel for roll and tip by trying this method with the primer and undercoats? If I am not getting my desired results I could always spray a couple of finish coats over the top :?:

Again, first boat and willing to learn by my mistakes. BTW I pick up my resin and glass this week so I can start to cut my panels and encapsulate :D :D :D :D Don't worry John photos will be included :P
Scotty

Stoker: Tug boat AT 2700 'Joe Mann'
I used to have a handle on life ................. but then it broke off.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Scott C wrote:Will I get a feel for roll and tip by trying this method with the primer and undercoats? If I am not getting my desired results I could always spray a couple of finish coats over the top :?:
You can/will. Prep is key ( maybe Bill will fly over and help ya on that sanding thing :roll: ). Keep your build "fair" as you build will pay-off in the finial stages of having a good finish.

Looking forword to your postings, as you build.
One day.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Sanding :!: Did somebody say...SANDING :!: :lol:
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DanH

Post by DanH »

The only issue with trying roll/tip using primer is that one often uses a high-build primer under these finishes. These primers are intended to be sanded (easily sanded and produce a great finish) and are thick. As a result, I usually don't try to roll/tip it. I put it on with a roller and leave it. Sand it with a random orbit sander and the result is a very smooth finish.

Return to “Painting”