copyright

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

leakcheck

copyright

Post by leakcheck »

Anyone have any ideas is regards to the following situation:

I had bought plans long ago (2001 perhaps) for a tugboat (one of which I built which you have seen here). I also have plans for a larger one from the same individual. The plans gave me the license to build one boat.

I have tried to contact the seller/designer and have been unable to so far. I am going to write to him to see if I get a response.

My question is: if I want to build another one of the same boat that I bought plans for, and currently have the set of plans, but am unable to contact the seller designer to pay him for another set of plans ... at which point..if ever...are you allowed to proceed with another build of the same boat?
Steve

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

My take on this situation is that you own the set of patterns and plans that you have paid for to use once. The designer is entitled to a percentage fee for any subsequent use of those plans. This is not such a big issue for amatuers/hobbists such as ourselves who generally build one boat from one set of plans. It is concevieable that for smaller craft multiple builds can be done by one builder. Kayaks and row boats are common examples of this.

I think it comes down to the type of person that you are and the relationship you have with the designer. Most people here would do exactly as Steve has done and make all reasonable attempts to contact the designer to negotiate the second/third/fourth use of the plans and patterns. If after all reasonable attempts have been made without response I think that it is ok to go ahead and use the plans again. You must make all reasonable attempts to make contact though.
Scotty

Stoker: Tug boat AT 2700 'Joe Mann'
I used to have a handle on life ................. but then it broke off.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Thanks Scotty,

I am going to try for a couple of more weeks to do more research and find out exactly what happened to his plans etc. I have no idea wether he sold them to another individual to license or what.

But I will keep trying for a while and see what happens.

Steve

PS...When I called his phone number his answering machine picked up and I new it was his voice so who knows he may call me back soon.

John K

Post by John K »

I have set of plans for a kayak with the same information on it. I ask the people if I build a second one for myself, it I would have to pay an additional charge. Their comment was that as long as it was for personal use, they did not care. The statement was to stop building them for sale.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

John,

I agree with that logic.

I have purchased one set of plans and have not used them yet. So I think I am free to either sell them or give them away. However, I wanted to give them to someone as a gift, and I wanted a set for myself. But I want to but another set, or pay the designer to copy this set. But I cannot get ahold of him. But I have not exhausted all efforts yet.

And then I thought, what if this guy goes the way of Ken Hankinson, could I just take over these plans and either sell them, or build the boats and sell them? I really do not know. It would seem to me that his surviving family members (not that he is dead) would inherit the rights to his deisigns.

Steve

Return to “Miscellaneous”