Where to Live

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jake1.11

Where to Live

Post by jake1.11 »

Well the misses and I are thinking about relocating. I have lived here in the interior of Alaska for nearly 10 years, and now that I have retired from the military we can actually live anywhere we choose. The winters are just getting to long and harsh and we are just running out of reasons to stay.
I am throwing this out on the forum becuase there is such a diverse group of folks here on this page from various parts of the US and abroad and I am curious about some of the other parts of the country that I have never had the opportunity to live.
I lived in the north east for a long time, spent several years in the midwest and have been here in the great white north for the last 10 years. I don't wish to live in the north east again, the midwest was way to flat and I am tired of the extreme cold (picky arent I).
My desires are for a place that is not "big city, has good schools for my 3 kids, has realtively low crime and has 4 seasons that are not to extreme (mild summers and winters). It has to have plenty of lakes (for boating of course) and good fishing. WOW...does this Utopia exist anywhere :shock: Also I need it to be in relative close proximity to a military base since I still make my profession working for the federal government as a civilian.
Well, I don't know...this may be a weird question to throw out here on a boat building page but I figured some of you may want to brag up where you live some and educate me on some of the other wonderful places to live.
Anyone know anything about Colorado?
Jake

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

hmmmm...being ex-military (but not lifer) I have "lived" in a few different places. Originally from New Hampshire and I miss it dearly. Now from Georgia. Summers are too hot, winters are not long enough for me. I also miss the snow. I dont think I would like anything on the southern third of the country. I like the east coast and I think you would be able to find your requirements in a place like Virginia or Charleston perhaps. I dont like the extreme north of the country (Well, I love maine and NH) but I fell in love with Montana while I was passing through doing some fly fishing and bike riding. That has a lot of potential. East coast is dotted with military installations not too sure about Colorado but I hear it is beautiful.

I might even consider Australia, New Zealand or Costa Rica. From what I understand (and I dont say this as an insult...but as a benefit) Most of those three places are about twenty years behind the US. Which means there is still an air of innocents and yearning for the "good ole days"..that may not be true at all but that is what I have heard from people who have visited.

I miss NH for the small town atmosphere but I have actually made much closer friends while I have been in the south...but not as good as I had made in the military.

Do you or your wife have family anywhere that you might be interested in being close to? That might be a deciding factor as well.

Steve

jake1.11

Post by jake1.11 »

I don't have any particular need to live near family. Our primary desire is to live in close proximity to a military base, since I am retired and still receive military benefits.
I have never lived in the south so I don't really know what it is like, but I definatly would like a place with 4 seasons.

Tough decisions.

Jake

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

How about the Tennessee Valley? Lots of lakes for sure. Huntsville Al has Redstone Arsenal, some snow, and nice fall and spring. But, maybe a bit hot. About 6 1/2 hours the the Gulf of Mexico.

Colorado, not enough good lakes!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Jake another fun thing to do is go to bestplaces.net and take their survey. You input all the general requirements and it will spit out some locations for you. Might get you close.

Don't get me wrong..the Southerners think that Georgia has four seasons (and it does..kinda) but they are very muted. The summer is just a hotter version of the winter to me. And the spring and the fall are kinda caught inbetween as they should be. But there is no snow, very little chance of any freezing weather. Lots to do and plenty of lakes (everyone man made..not ONE natural lake in Georgia)..and plenty of military everywhere.

Steve

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

North Carolina, before it gets over-run also.

http://nc.living.net/

I wouldn't recommend Florida to anyone. Although the winters are great, the summers are hot and long (only 2 seasons here). But moreover, the growth is overwhelming and crime is high. Wages are low and living is high (and geting higher).

I just don't have much good to say of Florida anymore. Now, 20 year ago..........
One day.

kens

Post by kens »

My 2 cents would be North Alabama, aka Huntsville.

The tri states of Georgia, Tenn, Carolina, that would be a great 4 seasons.

The foothills of the Appalacians Mountains anywhere along Carolinas, Virginia. There is a great weather break as the weather comes eastward over the crests of the mountains, the western side can have a blizzard, and the eastern side sunshine.

I lived in Louisville for 30 years and often saw middle Tenn get worse winter than Kentucky. Something about the way the weather went thru there. North Georgia has nice weather, hence there is a reason the Masters Golf tournament is there, that is God's Country around Augusta.

If you coming from Alaska, then I guess even Ft. Drum would be a easier winter!!

jake1.11

Post by jake1.11 »

I think that anywhere would be warmer weather than here. I know a few people that have been stationed around the Charleston area and they did not have particularly favorable things to say. I have visited Huntsville and agree that the weather is nice, but beleive it or not it is a little to "big city" for me.
I keep having this feeling that I won't be able to find a place that meets all my picky criteria. I suppose it is time to prioritize my needs.
1st: good safe schools
2nd: close to a military installation (preferably air force or navy)
3rd: moderate climate with 4 seasons
bestplaces.com is telling me to I would like the great lakes area. Not sure about that one. Scott AFB is in the St Louis area of Illinois, anyone have any intel on this area?
Thanks again everyone for the input.
Jake

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Augusta GA is a possible. Nice lake (less than 20 min. from town), golf, not far from the coast, lots of great places to eat, and some community activity every month. Base near by.

Hot summers with BIG thunder storms though.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

GregH

Post by GregH »

hmmm.. if it's a metter of semantics.. how about SE ontario? ... great lakes... hr north of fort drum... def 4 seasons... lake ON moderates the weather some... we're so bloddy polite to each other here ... Kingston has 116K people...

;) good luck choosing!
Greg
I can't do everything, but I can do something.

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV »

I think a good place to look would be the Seattle area. It depends on the type of boating you like. There are tons of lakes and rivers. Fishing is great all over. The temp is pretty mild, surprisingly not too cold in the winter. I grew up and currently live in New Orleans, so anything below 50 is cold to me.

Drew

Post by Drew »

Nothing Beats The Great Muskoka's!!

terrymc

Post by terrymc »

Northern California can't be beat - nice year round weather, lakes rivers, San Francisco bay - only problem is that you can't afford to live here (we are south of San Jose in unincorporated Santa Clara County- nice house on 2 acres, you can get something like this for around $2 mil...we bought here 15 years ago, couldn't afford to now!) I have several friends that have retired to the "gold country" of California in the Sierra foothills and really like it there. Much less expensive that where I am.

My kids live in Columbus Ohio. It's pretty nice there except for the winters, which are mild compared to Alaska (but suck compared to here!) The piedmont area of North Carolina (Winston-Salem area) is nice also.

Terry McIntyre
Morgan Hill, CA

kens

Post by kens »

If I was in the market for real estate right now, my choice would be Florida, like Jacksonville up to the Georgia line. The 4 hurricanes last year ran everybody out of state, people are fleeing Florida like rats off a sinking ship, and they are all coming to Georgia & Alabama. That would put you right next to St. Marys Ga. submarine base. But this is only a real estate estimate, nothing said about 4 seasons. The deal is, that Jacksonville and Savannah hasnt had a REAL hurricane in a hundred years.

kens

Post by kens »

Oh yeah, Jake1.11:
For all your picky wants, I think then Ft. Carson Co. is the deal maker.

Return to “Miscellaneous”