Where to Live

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Scott C

Post by Scott C »

Hey Steve, thats not fair 'twenty years behind' :lol:

I'll have you know that we here in Australia are in fact some 12 - 16 hours in front of you guys :!:

That being said the SE of Australia is currently in the grip of a drought that does nothing to recommend it for a relocation, so sorry can't help you there Jake. Good luck.
Scotty

Stoker: Tug boat AT 2700 'Joe Mann'
I used to have a handle on life ................. but then it broke off.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Dang, that's right//you actually are "ahead" of us !!! Sorry !!...No..I actually meant that in the most complimentary way..I wish I lived 40 years ago...well, I mean I did live ...nevermind..you know what I mean.

Steve

jake1.11

Post by jake1.11 »

We have looked at Ft Carson pretty closely. There are several military bases in that area so on that note it works, but I don't notice a lot of water on the map.

Boatbuilding......water.......schools.....priorities.....damn the last decision that was this tough was deciding which boat to build.

Right now the wife and I are looking at Colorado and Ohio.

The key right now is whether the job situation works out.

Thanks for all the input.

Jake

jake1.11

Post by jake1.11 »

Anyone know anything about the Raleigh NC area? Couple interesting job prospects there.

Jake

kens

Post by kens »

There is 2 places I never heard a dissenting word.........NC and Arizona.

ET

A good Florida vote

Post by ET »

I've lived in many places including Texas, Maryland, North Carolina, Mississippi, Maine-and I find Florida my favorite for a variety of reasons. I love the people....crime doesn't seem so bad....the economy is great and in Jacksonville unemployment rate is low, housing is probably in the middle of the range with som epretty good deals.....but for boaters.....there's awesome weather year round....the Saint Johns River, the Intracoastal waterway....numerous lakes.....and of course the ocean. Proximity to the Keys for boating and fishing is a huge plus as is Daytiona for bike week. I absolutely love Florida. Hey...not everyone like the same thing or the same place.
Et

John K

Post by John K »

I live in NE Alabama. I am an hour from Anniston and Huntsville. Anniston is an army depot and Huntsville I am not sure all what the military has there, but it is the space center.

Hope this helps!

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Jake, My daughter lived in Raleigh NC for 2 years while getting a master's degree at NC State. We moved her in there August of 2003. 95 degrees, 99% RH.

We moved her out in August of 2005. 105 dgrees, 98%RH.

The countryside is beautiful, rolling hills, and I must say that the NCDOT takes good care of the roads, nicely landscaped etc. I wish Indiana would take a lesson- we're lucky to get the roadsides mowed.

Raleigh is not large as state capitals go, but it may be more urban than you are looking for.

Cost of living wise, she had a two bedroom apartment in NC for around $800 a month. Now she's close to Wash. DC, and a 1 bedroom place is over $1300. Good Luck on your search, hope this info helps.

Brian
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

jake1.11

Post by jake1.11 »

Ouch, that's too darn hot for me. When I was in Iraq last year as soon as it hit 90 I felt like frosty in the old christmas cartoons. The colorado area isnt looking too good right now considering that Denver just got 18 inches of snow. Its been snowing here for 3 days and all it has accumulated to is about 4 inches of snow.
One thing I noticed about the Huntsville area is that someone needs a new set of crayons. Everyone knows that dirt is supposed to be brown....whats with the red dirt....thats weird :shock:
As for Florida....two words...hurricanes and in laws :twisted:

What to do :(

Jake

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Georgia Red Clay !!! believe it or not you get used to it. I dig in it all the time and I have a constant "tan" !!.. It is not always that hot in the south. This year has been rather mild, I am not sure that it even went above 95 this summer. A little humid at times...and not too close to the inlaws!

Steve

Return to “Miscellaneous”