Mirage Drive

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

auto5pilot

Mirage Drive

Post by auto5pilot »

I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the hull of my sneak boat to make room for a Mirage Drive (Hobbie).

I know this may be asking alot since there has been absolutely NO post in the human power catagory to date: Does anyone have any experience installing or using a Mirage Drive?

My hope is that it will provide a propulsion alternative with the stealth of skulling and leave the driver's hands free for gunning.

Barry

Post by Barry »

I had never heard of the Mirage Drive until your post. I did a search on Google and found the Hobie site:
http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/miragedrive.html

It looks like a great product. I looked all over the site to find out how much it cost, but was unable to find it, other than in the kayak. I emailed Hobie 2 days ago to ask if it is available and cost, but have received no reply.

Have you got one? If not, where will you get it?

I cannot comment on it as I have no experience with the unit. I could not tell from the photos on the site how it is installed.

If you go ahead with this, I hope you will take photos and send something to put in the WebLetter to share with other builders.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Just received a reply from Hobie:
"Hello Barry,

Yes the Mirage drive from the Hobie Kayaks is available as a replacement part. Our part number is (80010).
The price is $350.00 and they can be purchased from any Hobie Kayak dealer.
To locate a dealer you can use our dealer finder online at Hobiecat.com or call toll free (800)Hobie-49.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Jeffrey Fortuna
Hobie Cat Company
4925 Oceanside Boulevard
Oceanside, CA 92056"

Gayle Brantuk

Test Post

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

:D

Gayle
Glen-L
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter
Past Glen-L Marine President

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

That Mirage Drive looks great! I'd never heard of it before either, the action of the blades/vanes looks similar to that of a coracle paddle, except there are two of them, it also reminds me of an ornithopter which is something I'm quite familiar with.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

auto5pilot

Ornithopter

Post by auto5pilot »

Now I'm not familiar with that one.

The mirage drive is made for the Hobie Cat. It is a through the hull design. In most conventional boats you will have to build a "well" (sort of like you would for a dragger board). The Hobie has some sort of thick foam and plastic hull that does not require a "well".

I know of one guy who put one through the hull of a kayak. He has posed some pictures of how it was done on the yahoo smallboats group. (The moderator of that group is a little overpossesive - so I had hoped to bump into someone whith experience over here)

Besides I might find some other alternatives as well. (I have looked at something called the "Spin Fin" as well, but it is a bit expensive and may be a little more difficult to integrate into my boat).

auto5pilot

Just an update

Post by auto5pilot »

I decided to try for electric power on my boat rather than the mirage drive. The appeal was that I didn't have to cut my hull. All I needed was a motor mount. I ended up really disappointed with the speed, weight, and time it takes to get all that set up. This is a 75# boat and hanging even a 20-30 pound engine off the back plus a heavy batery makes the boat ride quite a bit differently. Besides it is a displacement hull, not that I really expected an electric with 53# of thrust to get about 300# on plane anyway.

I think I can get one at Strictly Sail in Cincinnat, but I might have to have them special order it. I also saw one place on the web that listed it with a price but, it was considerably more than the $350. quoted here. Then again I don't really know how much the retail place will be asking either.

Dgkeller

First hand experience with Mirage Drive

Post by Dgkeller »

I tested one some years ago when i was on vaction in Florida, it was a Jet ski/ hobiecat rental operation and they had some for rent or just to try if you asked. I was amazed, I am more of a bike rider than a kayaker, so I liked it a lot. My dad, the kayaker, was also very impressed. I want somehting with real horsepower though. Happy floating. 8)

auto5pilot

Mirage Drive Installed

Post by auto5pilot »

I bought the mirage drive ($400) and installed it in a trunk. It really does nicely for long distances. I keep wishing there was a second gear to get a little more speed, but when you go the human power route - you know you're in the slow lane. I haven't tried paddling and pedaling at the same time yet - might be sort of like patting your head and rubbing your tummy.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Have you got photos and any more information on installation? Would be a good article for the WebLetter.

auto5pilot

Photo's and such

Post by auto5pilot »

I have a few pictures of what I did to put the drive in. I'll have to try to find some time to write something up. I know there are other people that are a little better at hooking pictures into a post, I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?& ... rt_order=0

I have some pictures in that album, but I think it makes you sign in or something to view them.

There are a couple things I don't like about my installation. One is the way I have it bolted in. It uses two carriage bolts to lock the drive down. The big problem is that if you put the drive in when the boat is in the water - you are going to get your hands wet. I have resorted to keeping the drive installed for cold weather. I just need to make some modifications to the car-top setup I have to make it easier to get on and off the vehicle with the drive installed.

I'll try to find some time to write something more intelligent in the next few weeks. Kellan Hatch is really the expert/pioneer on using the Mirage drive in wooden boats. He has written several articles on using it. They are published on the web under some yahoo groups and in duckworks or messing about in boats or something. I'll try to post up some details on that as well.

auto5pilot

Kellan's fine instalation of a Mirage Drive

Post by auto5pilot »

Here is his later article where he describes "pedal-sailing".
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/s/projects/curious/

And his earlier article on the installation of the Mirage drive.
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/proj ... /index.htm

My installation was very similar to his except I have a v bottom boat and a square stern. I've got some pictures of building my rudder as well (somewhere).

auto5pilot

Webletter article ready

Post by auto5pilot »

I have the article written - ready for inclusion. I just need to have an address to e-mail it.

Barry

Post by Barry »

info@glen-L.com

I look forward to the article.

Barry

auto5pilot

Article

Post by auto5pilot »

Thanks Barry for all your help in getting the article together.

It kind of struck me.... I used 6 different kinds of wood in making that rudder.

Return to “Human Power”