Roberta's ZIP

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Grand Chillin

Re: Roberta's ZIP

Post by Grand Chillin »

Roberta,
At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if you had a finished hull to flip by the end of the month. Nice job. :D
Roberta Hegy wrote:I do have that Super Spartan frame kit that will be an exciting boat for The Grand Chillin.
One thing before I go. You have mentioned several times about building me a Super Spartan. While that would be mighty nice of you I must tell you that boat just doesn't fit me. How about one of the bigger Tugs instead. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

P.S. I know you said granchillin, :( but I was hoping it was a typo. :roll:
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Hi Grand Chillin,

Sorry if I inadvertantly got your hopes up :wink: . Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. If I get the hull ready for fiberglass and finishing by the end of the month, that would be great. That sort of is my goal right now. Once I get that far, the rest will be a lot easier with a foundation to build off of.

Back to work,

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Hey Slug!!! Thanks for the idea of using the heavy cardboard. I have two 4 x 8 sheets of it from when LL Johnson shipped my plywood. I used one as a layout board on top of my table. Now it will be used in the finish fairing for a test board. Great idea!!!

I have most of the rough fairing done now. I still need to fair in the stem and chines for the bottom planking, but I ran out of steam this afternoon. The power planer is a Godsend and I am getting very adept with using it. It scared me at first because I had never used one before and feared sweeping up all my hard work. I promised to post some pics for another Zip builder who is also into the fairing thing.

Photos show the fairing as roughed in and not to final fit. Most of it is close, but I still need to bevel per the Rabl method.

Roberta

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

looking good Roberta!!! :)

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

Hey Roberta, you need some more glue and clamps. That last piece looks like you never tried very hard to get it onto the boat :P :P

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Yah think????!!!! I'll get on it tomally :lol: Actually that's my test cardboard to see if I can get even close to planking this puppy :lol: .

Roberta :)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

I would be cautious on using the cardboard for fairing....it bends too easily.

a 2x3' section of cheap doorskin or other cheap thin ply would simulate your planking curves and conformity better

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

It's really neat to see when all that mess at the stem gets faired and it looks like a nice clean laminated piece instead of the initial glue-up.

You also wonder how the squared edges of the breasthook will come out,then magically it does come to a nice point

J Purcell

Post by J Purcell »

That is looking good!
I would be cautious on using the cardboard for fairing....it bends too easily.

a 2x3' section of cheap doorskin or other cheap thin ply would simulate your planking curves and conformity better
This is good advice. I used a piece of 1/4" ply that I had for fairing close, but still had to adjust some because the 3/8" that belongs on the boat doesn't conform the same way the 1/4" does.
Jeremy

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I guess I misstated what that was. It's actually MDF board and not cardboard, so it does bend a lot like 1/8" plywood. Just a little easier for me to handle when checking the fair angles. I will recheck and refine the fit when I start laying on the planking.

Roberta

kens

Post by kens »

That is nice looking fairing there. Those pics can be used as example to the newer builders. That shows how the setback of the chines intersect the stem, and what happens when you fair that area.
Same with the stem/breasthook/sheers.
Nice work.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Roberta.. its pretty obvious from the photos that you 'got it' about how to fair. Just keep doing what you are doing.. trust your eyeballs and make the shape right.

You'll be doing plywood in no time.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Ya gotta be proud of that!!!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Everything is rough faired now and I will be getting ready to scarf panels this weekend for the final fairing and plank fitup. Can't say enough nice things about power planers.

One area that mystified me was that junction on the stem for the chine. Once it faired up it became very obvious what was going on there. Best advice I can give for anyone new to this is go slow, work from known points like the frame junctions, mark lines of limits so you don't overdo it and check often with a straight edge.

I started from the stern and worked my way foreward. Once I got to 5 1/2, I faired in a few inches, then faired the point on the stem by the breast hook. Once I got those done, I just connected the dots. Then I faired the stem up to the chine. The chine needed no fairing for the side planking. It needed fairing for the bottom planking, but diminished to zero as I approached the stem. I took some shots of the stem and the junctions and are attached.

Roberta

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

You dun good!

Now all you have to deal with is some projection you didnt catch till you tried to lay a strip on it. :x
You'll still need that sander and shop vac handy! :|

Return to “Small outboards”