Tahoe 19

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ron,
"its OK supply em in staino " so he did all of them ,in 316. $$$$$.
I've done that only to find it a week later on internet for a fraction of the $$.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ron Filsell

Re: Tahoe 19

Post by Ron Filsell »

G,Day Bill and All. I will update image library later today. Of interest to some may be the improvised steam box. Check out the reading on the thermometer using epoxy at this temperature is akin to using contact adhesive,even slow hardener is fast, very very fast. Its been a testing time not only with the epoxy but with dramatic changes in humidity as well, when laying the king plank it was necessary to mist the timber with water to stop it cupping.
Regds. Ron.

Ron Filsell

Post by Ron Filsell »

G,Day all. Once again I have updated the album with deck rough sanded and upholstery fitted, I think I feel a spring launch coming on.
Included in the album are a few snaps taken at my mate Grahame Howard,s shed.
The mahogany boat is a 21 ft. Hacker craft Gentlemans racer that he lofted from original blueprints its to be powered by a flat top Chrysler 6 running triple SU carbs and driving thru a Velvet drive box.
The white hydroplane is of his own design and has a sister already launched which already has a 3 start 3 win record.
The blue trawler is a pretty unique piece of work, its 30 ft loa with a beam of 12 ft, the unique part is the construction. Near as damit its a Stich and Glue method, in that temporary frames were used to get the shape and single sheets of fiberglass joined and taped together, the hull then righted and the temp frame removed. The only permanent frame being the chines and keel. When he has worked out where the fittings go the frames will be fitted and glassed into place, hence the bracing holding the hull into shape when the shots were taken.
Regds. Ron.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ron,

Thanks, I enjoyed that! That is a lot of great work. I wish could work around other builds. I'm sure everybody has a hand ineach others boat too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ron Filsell

Post by Ron Filsell »

G,Day all. Just updating the photo album, not long to go now.
Regards Ron.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Did you get some paint on your varnished wood across the stern? :lol: :lol: Just kidding, Beautifull work! Thanks

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

Oyster wrote:Image
Did you get some paint on your varnished wood across the stern? :lol: :lol: Just kidding, Beautifull work! Thanks

That is really nice 8)

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

That is great work! Ron.

I wish I could see it in person!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Nice, really like the seats, how they come over the edge of the deck. And the finish on the deck, I would have never considered not using planks but that look really is nice and seems it would be simpler to do.

Great work, the hydro's in your other pics are cool too.

Ron Filsell

Post by Ron Filsell »

G,Day all. Thanks for the comments, encoragement is appreciated especially at this stage. For the last few months the project has become a waiting game rather than a construction project. I could not finish the bow handle and mounting plate because there was no D mould to match to, it took 8 weeks to arrive. the pattern I made for the hull side vents is at the foundry but it will be another two weeks before I can collect the castings. While at the foundry I came across the most elegant windscreen brackets, they have agreed to cast me a set, but not till next year. The trailer is not due now till February due to the christmas break. The "LADY IN LACE" will now have her fifth anniversary in the shed on boxing day.
Regards Ron
p.s. Thats not realy varnish, its west system coating resin, and yes some got spilled.

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

Looks Great I like the way you did your inlay with the rounded corners. Is the inlayed sections ply or solid wood?

Ron Filsell

Post by Ron Filsell »

G,Day Butch. The inlay is timber, Its an Australian species called Silver Ash, the stem capping is of the same material, its one of the best timbers to steam bend.
Regards Ron

Ron Filsell

Post by Ron Filsell »

G,day All. OK she is now finished, launch date is July 25th which happens to coincide with my 60th birthday. Built as LADY IN LACE she will however be christened SYMPHONY. She has consumed 67 months of labour and about $30,000 aussie dollars but I have enjoyed every moment. I will post photos after the event. Thanks all for the encouragement along the way.
Regards. Ron. :D :D :D :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ron

:D Can't wait for the launch :!: AND :!: PICTURES :!:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Ron Filsell wrote:G,day All. OK she is now finished, launch date is July 25th which happens to coincide with my 60th birthday. Built as LADY IN LACE she will however be christened SYMPHONY. She has consumed 67 months of labour and about $30,000 aussie dollars but I have enjoyed every moment. I will post photos after the event. Thanks all for the encouragement along the way.
Regards. Ron. :D :D :D :D
Congratulations, She looks fantastic :!: .I bet you are excited. Symphony is a great name.

A question for you, who made your furel tank? I will need one for Gentry.

Cheers,
Glenn.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Return to “Hankinson designs”