Out Board Generator

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mmorasci

Out Board Generator

Post by mmorasci » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm

I have adapted a 1961 18HP Evinrude into my Hankinson UltraPierre (BooBooToo). As I look forward to floating her for the first time in the spring I am trying to finish a lot of little odds/ends.

One issue I am concerned with is power generation for battery recharging (the original engine was not equiped with one). I will have a small Solar Panal onboard but I would also like to configure a Generator off the engine. I have a generator from a larger mid 50's 35HP Johnson. Has anyone successfully configured a generator on these older outboards. I'm open to any/all ideas.

Thanks,

Mike
Attachments
P1050473.JPG

thudpucker

Re: Out Board Generator

Post by thudpucker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 pm

If you had an older outboard that charged a Battery, it had a different Flywheel and a Fire Ring of Coils under the Flywheel.
You have a good idea there, you just may not have the right parts & Pieces. :?

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:10 pm

thudpucker,

Thanks, yeah, I'm affraid I don't have the right parts. The flywheel and generator i have is from a 35HP and too big for the 18HP I'm using. I haven't given up om the idea, just switched gears to get the boat ready to launch early next month.

Just about ready and found out the trailer I was going to use didn't fit the hull :( , so I spent a couple of weeks away from the boat and designed/built a trailer. it's done (except for wiring) so it's back to the boat. Launch is approaching fast. Hope to get the 900lb centerboard into the boat and the boat onto the new trailer next week. Fingers crossed.

Mike

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am

I share in your plight for more power... With the size of your vessel, have you thought of simply an onboard generator? I have been thinking and searching myself for a power source other than the crappy outboard one. I am currently coming up with a way to mount a honda 2000 on my deck, with noise dampening as well as heat dissipation and exhaust removal. The honda is super quiet and with the right set up it could run quite a bit, and not bother anyone on board for the most part. Let us know what you decide to do!
Jerry

khundley

Post by khundley » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Harbor Freight has this inexpensive little one that might fit the bill:

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-ge ... 60338.html

Seems decent if you change the plug and use high octane gas.
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Very much appreciated.

I like the idea of a small gen set.

A couple of years ago my buddy's boat sank at the marina :( . In gratitude for helping him raise it and getting things going again, he gave me one of those small 2 cycle generators. I was skeptical at first but find it works beautifully for projects around the house in the woods, or even for charging boat batteries. Although my boat is a "26 footer", because of the narrow ends it has the space of more like a 20/21 foot vessel (not a lot of extra space to fit one in). The small generator was to be my backup on extended trips. For trips of several days I was hoping even for a small outboard type to keep the "starting battery" charged (I have a 5 Watt solar panel to incorporate also). Most all power requirements (and they are very small by design) are handled by the house bank. The starting battery is to handle starting (limited use I hope, also there is a rope pull if needed), nav lights, and fish finder/GPS. The power draw may be small but so is the battery (some very limited space aft).

The issue with the 2 cycle generator that worries me the most (besides stowing it) is my deck is very low and there is a lot of free board, so if the gen is running on deck (in the cockpit) exhausting it will require "plumbing it" 3 feet high and over the combing (otherwise the cockpit and cabin would fill with exhaust). I don't want to put it on the fore/aft deck or cabin roof as they are pitched/curved and canvas covered. I'm even thinking of something a little more "unconventional", and putting it in the dinghy when in use :P , is that crazy :? ? On the few occasions I'm at a dock, the portable generator would work very well as long as I have a long enough cord on board.

Keeping busy though, next week should see the boat on it's trailer and very close to launch. After that milestone is met I should have time to revisit this and some of the other details to be added like completing the mast/boom and suit of sails and rigging, cockpit seating and storage boxes etc.

Mike

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Just for some added info - I actually have one of those generators from harbor freight. I once thought it would be a cheap alternative. Although it "worked", it was noisy, smelly (exhaust) and the gas cap leaked until I did surgery on it. As far as stand alone generators go I would only go with a Honda 2000. From what I hear, the 2000 is quieter or as quiet as the 1000 and somewhat affordable.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm

I bought a Powerhouse 2100. It's electric/remote start. It's a little heavy. Seems to be a really good product though.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:34 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment on noisy, smelly, and leaky (I've seen several versions in action, although I'm not familiar with the Powerhouse), but let's see...... free vs $1k..... Hmmm. Seeing as how my budget is overstretched, and launch day is quickly approaching, as it is, for now I'll take the "free-be" and dream of better, quieter days ahead. I definitely am compiling a short list of generators for a future purchase. Thanks all for the input. Very much appreciated.

I'll look into the Powerhouse, I've seen the Yamaha, and the little 2-Stroke, anyone have any experience with the Hyundai 4 stroke. The specs look good, the price is 60% of the Honda but I haven't seen the quality. frankly I'm doing all I can not to have to use a generator so I'm not sure how much it will really be used. The old $ vs. Quality review is on.

Mike

Return to “Boat Power”