Tubby Tug cabin

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Amm

Tubby Tug cabin

Post by Amm » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Here are some pictures of my progress. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ammincog/ ... FBnuthG9OK

The plans for the tubby tug have an option for leaving off the upper part of the cabin. I toyed with the idea of leaving off the cabin since this is my first woodworking project(besides shop class in junior high) and the cabin seemed a little too hard for me. I mustered some courage and decided to go ahead with the full cabin. Later I put my 5 year old son in the boat and noticed he was taller than the cabin posts(he is strangly tall for his age). Needless to say I am worried he will be hitting his head on the roof.

Any other tubby tugger's out there that can comment on this being a valid concern?

I should mention that in addition to boating on the lake, I intended to let my children play in the boat in the backyard.

Pros for the Cabin:
- The look
- Shade from the sun

Cons against the Cabin:
- safer?
- easier construction
- more open boat

PS: here are the pictures:
Last edited by Amm on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Amm, first off John, the BEER IN HAND boat guy will LOVE your pictures. You must understand that John LOVES PICTURES.

Nice job and your sharing the experience with you children will be LONG remembered. Great job, FOR SURE.

Dale :)
Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:15 pm

Amm, your build is looking vary good! Got'ta love the pic with your son, hands on hip! :wink: Thanks for sharing and the update.

My vote: cabin (it real'ly sets the boat off, wouldn't be ah TUG without it )

Keep an eye on that Quality Control authoritarian of yours :lol:
One day.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Wow, that is awesome workmanship. Very well done. I can't believe you didnt drip any epoxy on the patio ? how did you do that? That really looks excellent and those are the neatest fillets I have seen in a long while...keep it going...but you need the cabin.

Steve

Amm

Post by Amm » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:39 pm

Thank you all for the comments.

leakcheck, I did drip epoxy on the patio while fiberglassing, but only at the bow and very little; The batch of epoxy started to kick, so I made haste and slathered it on. I did the dry method, used the roller to apply the epoxy, then used the squeegee to move the resin around. The extra fiberglass cloth that hung past the sides absorbed almost all the excess resin.

My wife didn't mind about the drips, she wants that patio replaced with concrete anyway.

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 am

Good looking boat! Must be nice to show a picture with the top of your head, and not have a bald spot showing! :D Given the workmanship in your boat, I don't see any reason you couldn't build the cabin.

As a life -long boater, I have to tell you that out on the water shade can be a big deal. I've already decided that I'm going to have to figure out how to put a bimini top on my Squirt. Have you considered anythin "out-of-the-box - a removable canvas top on the cabin for example. This could give you shade when you want it, and the ability for headrroom whe you don't need shade.

Terry McIntyre
Morgan Hill, CA

Amm

Post by Amm » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:58 am

Considering leakcheck's and john's comments and the shade advantage, I think I will go ahead with the cabin. Although I would do a reversal if another tubby tugger posted that kids are wacking their heads on the roof all the time

No bald spot yet, 29 yrs old. :D

While I was growing up, my father had the Glen-L books, Boatbuilding with Plywood and Fiberglass Boatbuilding for Amatuers. I studied those books backwards and forwards, but never sought out to purchase a set of plans. Not sure why.

Originally I had planned to build this http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=131 in fiberglass, but my wife convinced me I should start small. She was wise.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:56 pm

Amm, one other thing, you could add a few inches to the hight of the cabin top. Keep from getting that bald spot to soon :roll: 2-3in. shouldn't effect nor make it top heavy.

Keep us posted, your doing a nice build.
One day.

Amm

Post by Amm » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:31 am

Ok, the cabin is coming along, I added some pictures to show progress. Same link http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ammincog/ ... FBnuthG9OK

The last few pictures where taken yesterday. Hotest day EVAR. The epoxy was holding strong in less than an hour.

Also, my "Bandido in wood" plans came this week.

Amm

Post by Amm » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Alright, got the paint on the outside and in.

Return to “Small outboards”