SC V6 or MPI V8?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

RiverRacer
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Post by RiverRacer »

Hi guys, I been asked to chime in on this thread and give my opinion so hopefully I won't get banned from this, LOL.. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, this is one heck of a discussion over such a simple deal(very interesting though)!. Now I did go through this fairly quick so I'm sure I missed some info, so please correct me if I'm wrong on some things!...

But after reading all this stuff, I keep thinking about this post at the beginning, It's a rampage with a jet.
Top end/performance overall, and reliability, are the two biggest issues.
This tells me only one thing, it's definitely not a race boat or a lake racer, correct me if I'm wrong here now!.. If by chance my assumptions are correct here, the solution is here is K.I.S.S. Save awhole ton of moneyand just pickup a bone stock 454 with oval port heads, freshen it up, bolt it in and go and forget about it, there's only a 100,000 boats out there like it!....... BTW, I would re think the ditch pump deal though unless gas is super cheap where you're at or you're rich, because you will suck it up big time, and not go anywhere fast!...[/b]

OH BTW, the only difference in a boat motor is piston to wall clearance because of expansion, since the block runs cold and the pistons still heat up the block don't expand as much and pistons can get tight, a .001-.002 in the hone takes care of that, everything else is the same!..

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Lake Barkley, KY

Post by Dave Grason »

Mr Hot Rod wrote: We'll snap some photos along the way and post them in another thread if there's any interest.
Do you even have to ask? Oh yeah, you know we want to see THOSE photos. :)

We need to add a smiley/emoticon that drools. :P
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Stirling, ON

Post by Nova SS »

Hey Denon, have you made any progress on which power plant your going to use? Also I started a thread about the Rampage on the Vdrive site asking about how much HP a rampage with a jet would need to go 70mph, anyway there have been some replies and some suggestions for the hull to make it more performance oriented.

here is a link to the thread.

http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/showthread.php?t=1349

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Lake Barkley, KY

Post by Dave Grason »

Hey Duane, I just went and read that entire thread. It looks like you've got a great bunch of guys over there, just like here. I'm gonna do a little exploration on that site.

(Here's where I find out that I registered something like 3 years ago and totally forgot about it. :oops: )
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Stirling, ON

Post by Nova SS »

Dave, its a really good site. There are a few members that have been into Vdrives for a very long time and are very knowledgeable. The thing they will stress is safety first then speed second. For the most part they are very passionate about this type of boat. Especially the flats. It seems the Vdrive flat has a special place in their hearts. There is no doubt in my mind they will be able to help streer us in the right direction with our respective projects. 8)

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Lake Barkley, KY

Post by Dave Grason »

Wow, I had a good time last night perusing that site. There is a LOT of mutual interest between those guys over there and the folks here. And they seem like a great bunch.

Some of those boats simply look like a combination of the absolute biggest motor possible sitting in a hull with just enough bouyancy to keep it afloat until launch. Yeah, an E ticket ride for sure.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

RiverRacer
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Post by RiverRacer »

Glad you made it over there Dave, it is a good place with no BS and drama, just a bunch of good people!..

As far as motors go most are just big block Chevys, no bouyancy problems, LOL, in fact the POS in mine is a total dud, on it's best tune up it'll barely hit mid 90's, LOL...

Image

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Lake Barkley, KY

Post by Dave Grason »

Only the mid 90s you say. Gee that's just too bad. I bet you feel like a totally worthless piece of poopy. :lol:

Yeah Right! I lay up at night wondering how I could get my Tunnel King to do 70 and you're complaining about only mid 90s. :lol: 8)

I love that intake on there. I've always said that the difference in the length of stacks immediately identified it as a BBC. I describe the Chevy motor as having "lucky" and "unlucky" cylinders.

OOpsss. I could be wrong. That IS a Chevy isn't it? I mean, why does it look like the distributor is on the FRONT of the engine?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Stirling, ON

Post by Nova SS »

Dave Grason wrote:I love that intake on there. I've always said that the difference in the length of stacks immediately identified it as a BBC. I describe the Chevy motor as having "lucky" and "unlucky" cylinders.
The unequal length of the stacks is because the intake ports on BBC heads come in two different lengths so when you combine that with the unequal length stacks you end up with equal length..I hope I explained that correctly.


Dave Grason wrote: OOpsss. I could be wrong. That IS a Chevy isn't it? I mean, why does it look like the distributor is on the FRONT of the engine?

Dave, Arts dizzy looks like its on the front of the motor because his motor is mounted wrong....lol...just kidding Art. His motor is mounted flywheel aft. The torque tube is actually driven off of the harmonic balancer. This helps the boat turn better to the right, I think that is the direction. :oops:

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Lake Barkley, KY

Post by Dave Grason »

Duane, that makes perfect sense. And I think that's I remember about these engines. I had one back in the earlier 90s in a work truck. It was stock of course. But I had noticed that way the intake ports were different. The lucky/unlucky thing was my own phrase to describe it. And that was a pulling engine. I miss it.

Is turning these boats a problem? If he's running the engine from the harmonic balancer end, then the propellor would be a right hand as well. Am I right?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Stirling, ON

Post by Nova SS »

Dave Grason wrote:Is turning these boats a problem? If he's running the engine from the harmonic balancer end, then the propellor would be a right hand as well. Am I right?
I cannot say about the prop, I'm sure Art will be along with the info. As far as turning is concerned mounting the motor balancer end forward is how they set up circle boats and the torque of the motor helps the boat turn in the direction they race.

The "traditional" way of mounting the motor in these boats (flywheel forward) is conducive for turning the boat in the opposite direction. My understanding is they both turn well just in opposite directions.

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Lake Barkley, KY

Post by Dave Grason »

So it's like setting up a circle racer with all the weight biased toward the inside of the curve. They're willing to give up one thing to get another. Ok, that makes sense.

I ask these things because the Dragster plans allow for up to 1100 lbs for the engine and trans. That should allow me to have one of these big block motors. But obviously, I don't want to do things wrong any more than the next guy. However, I'm certainly not building a race boat. Just a hot rod for the lake to have fun with.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Stirling, ON

Post by Nova SS »

heck with 1100lbs of drivetrain you would be able to use a Hemi. They are super cool, but a little on the porky side..lol

User avatar
Dave Grason
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 am
Location: Lake Barkley, KY

Post by Dave Grason »

....and pricey.

I was actually thinking about a 460 Ford. I have a place in my heart for these engines. I guess it's because I've owned so many of them and own 3 now in my work trucks.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Nova SS
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Stirling, ON

Post by Nova SS »

Dave Grason wrote:....and pricey.

I was actually thinking about a 460 Ford. I have a place in my heart for these engines. I guess it's because I've owned so many of them and own 3 now in my work trucks.
460 are cool and there are a ton of stroker kits you can get that will bump the cubes into the 550 range (give or take a bit) If it needs a total rebuild anyway a stroker kit might not be as expensive as they appear at first glance.

I'm not sure if this link will work for everyone.....


https://secure.pawengineparts.com/shopp ... &catid=657

Post Reply

Return to “Boat Power”