SC V6 or MPI V8?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

Cool Paul thanks. Did you put the oil coolers before the motor or after, if you get my drift?

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

Hey, Duane ! We installed the coolers before the motor e.g. coolant flow is from the cam-driven pump to the coolers, then into the exhaust manifolds where the water is preheated before being fed into the engine water inlets. We used a 12" cooler for the engine oil (about 14 quarts) and a 9" cooler for the Velvet Drive. To maximize cooling, cool water must flow opposite the oil cooler oil flow. We've also lowered the transmission cooler so that it's located below the trans oil fill plug. This ensures that the trans is at the proper fill level and adds more oil capacity to the system.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

What about alternators...?

what would a complete parts list look like for the 454 with aluminum heads, ready to drop in, hookup, and run?

Denon

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

you need a marine alternator especially since you are putting the motor in a box right?

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

probably, if it'll fit...might need a scoop over the carb, with a coarse filter to keep the bugs out :?

but what about mounting/hooking up a belt system?

Denon

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

Denon Osterman wrote:probably, if it'll fit...might need a scoop over the carb, with a coarse filter to keep the bugs out :?
Have you really looked at the plans? The depth of the hull is only 24" your motor will be substantially higher then this when measured from the bottom of the oil pan to carb. Plus you wont be able to rest the oil pan on the hull of boat so the motor itselt will be raised in the hull slightly. This will only add to the overall height of the motor. For your box to cover the motor it wil have to be well above the shears of the boat. I'm not sure how pleasing to the eye this setup would be. BUT of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Last edited by Nova SS on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

yeah, thats why the whole "fitting" thing comes into play. i figure i can get a good 3+ inches with a coaming at the back, and then have the hatch rise a bit more in the center, to cover everything other then carb/air filter...which will either stick out or be scooped. but, we'll get the engine in first to see how realistic any of this is when we get there!

Denon

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Here's a pic of a v-drive with covered engine....never cared much for this look myself....thought they were awkward and ugly

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/997495978.html

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

here is a missle that looks like it has been converted to a jet. Remember the Missle has more freeboard then the Rampage will and the cover for the motor still need to be much higher then the shears. Not a total bad look but

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh »

upspirate wrote:Here's a pic of a v-drive with covered engine....never cared much for this look myself....thought they were awkward and ugly

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/997495978.html
Just like freeboard-challenged jets... Not my style at all. But it does keep your motor from scaring children into crying at the beach. But what fun would that be??!?!?!?! Naw, I don't like that look either, too much like just another glastron in the showroom.

Yes that is the exact 4-port housing. Good clean install too. If you use a blower they need an offset housing. Dwyer blower used to have them, I am sure they still do.
Denon Osterman wrote:Caber, forgive me if this is a personal question, but does this vast wealth of knowledge of yours spring from profession, or merely personal interest? Either way, great stuff...thanks again! Will be going over all of this with my dad on the weekend, so when we've made our decision I'll be sure to let you know so you can help out with specific parts :D

THANKS!!!

Denon
One of my father's friends was a well known motor builder from the golden days of road racing, He got me interested, then I built hillclimb motors for years (1981-1999). It was a hobby-business that got too big, along with building a few "kit-cars", it started affecting my real job, well, when I had a real job. Ah, but I still enjoy a good GTO car, but they are hard on my driving record. I decided it was time to find some other way to enjoy hot-rodding when the traffic court judge asked me when I was going to be old enough to quit acting like a teenager. I am not sure if it was the display of HP, or the exhibition driving, or maybe the unreasonable acceleration... no, wait, it was the obstructed vision ticket (blower in the way? heck, I could see around it fine!). In any case, boats were easier on my insurance! And I have never looked back. I started with V-drives but moved to a lake that often has less than 2 feet of water in the channel to the "big lake". Then I discovered that the ideal jet motor was the same as a perfect hillclimb motor, it was a match made perfectly for me!

Being the hard headed sort, I usually have to learn anything the hard way, usually by reading what to do, then doing it wrong the first few times. Hard on the parts budget sometimes, but isn't any learning experience.

When you pick parts, you will find a wealth of info here. It's nice to get the input of other v-8 builders in the forum. There are a few decent motor-heads from what I have read. Just be sure to ignore Bill... his idea of going fast involves burning kerosene, and hanging a bedsheet from a tall pole, then praying for wind! :shock: :lol:

Fifty Plus

Post by Fifty Plus »

Now that I have stoped LOL, I feel that I should be added to the ignored list. I burn kerosene and can hang 1/2 a bedsheet on a much shorter pole. I however do not pray for wind, I just take what comes. Oh, by the way, my idea of going fast is 7 mph. :? 8)

Carl

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

Caber, I really like your posts. They are both informative and enteraining. Thanks for the laugh. The funny part is I can honestly see myself in some of your situations :oops: ....its almost like I've been there myself :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:lol:
Just be sure to ignore Bill... his idea of going fast involves burning kerosene, and hanging a bedsheet from a tall pole, then praying for wind!
Now wait a minute! I resemble that remark! :roll:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

Caber, some questions:

1)do the three links from JEGS need different cams, or are they good to go?

2)exhaust?

3)which pump...i was thinking the American Turbine TJ-309...but you'll know better then me.

4)what width should the stringers be?

5)where are some pics of your boat(s?)!!!

Denon

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Denon, I have a question for you?

Is this a serious project you're in the process of building right now, or are you just drumming up questions to see your posts in print?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Boat Power”