Let's make commitments for Guntersville 07

Bill E

Post by Bill E »

I can't say whether they're affected in the same way as we are in Atlanta, but it is a very different watershed/drainage basin. Our two main lakes are Lake Allatoona, on the Etowah River to the northwest of ATL, and Lake Lanier, on the Chattahoochee River to our northeast. The Etowah goes west through Alabama and ends up in the Mobile River, emptying into the Gulf at Mobile, AL. The Chattahoochee flows down the AL/GA state line and across Florida, emptying into the Gulf at Apalachicola, FL. The Tennessee River, conversely, flows the opposite direction, ultimately going north through Kentucky and into the Ohio River.

Here's a wikipedia map of the Tennessee River (which flows through Lake Guntersville) and its basin:

The diagonal lines traced by the east end of the river, as well as the parallel line just east of that where TN meets NC is along the Appalachian ridge. Given the general west-to-east flow of national weather patterns, I'd wager that the rainfall on one side of the ridge is likely very different from the levels on the other side.

(map credits located at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tenn ... ershed.png)

Chattahoochee River map at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattahoochee_River

Etowah/Coosa/Alabama/Mobile River map at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coosa_River
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!
Tom Drake

Pavillions

Post by Tom Drake »

Bill,

I understand not wanting to feed the world, but I would recommend using the same pavillion all weekend as a central control. Communications could become a problem since not everyone will be staying in the cabin area. Any event announcements could be posted as well as messages on a bullitin board at the pavillion. I would tend to favor the pavillion nearest the location where the boats will be. Just thinking out loud. I'll be proud to be anywhere near this crowd.
Tom Drake
leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

I think Tom has a point. That will probably be where the boats are both wet and static and it would be good to be available to answer any questions by passers-by while I am handing out phone numbers to the ladies..wait ..who said that...

But, that is a good point, and I am currently refining my chicken thing..although I might have to forget about the clam chowder for the night before...still working on a few things ...

Steve
Bill E

Post by Bill E »

Who needs chowda? We're having gumbo anyway, right?

(Let's see who takes the bait on that one....) :wink:
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!
upspirate

Post by upspirate »

clams,shrimp,It's all bait anyway!!! :shock: :roll: (OK OK I took the bait!!!!!) :lol:
kens

Post by kens »

upspirate wrote:clams,shrimp,It's all bait anyway!!!
I got a Phillippino wife, you do NOT know how close to home that is. :wink:
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Right or Wrong, We have some publicity. This was originally set-up for the builders, not suppliers or the public!

We have the Lake Cabin Pavilion for Friday and Saturday. I've picked that up. Saturday, we have to do first come first serve near the main ramp (about a 1/2 mile away from the Lake Cabin Pavilion).

Now, I started out as helping scope out a place! This was over a year ago. I don't care to be in charge! But, it seems it got thrown on me.

If one of you wants to take this over now, Knock yourselves out!

Ken & I will meet our commitment for food Friday Night. Low Country Boil and Jerk Chicken, and Lauren is checking on some Caribbean side dishes.

We're less than 2 weeks out. You can commit to do something. You can take charge. You can just come. But, if you just want to second guess... Well, I don't have time for you!

I'm sorry to be an AH. But, I've got work to do along with this.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Bill, I understand completely. Unfortunately you were kind of self appointed leader and we all agreed. So I say stay with whatever your original plan is/was/might be.

It really has absolutly no impact on me whatsoever. I do not know the layout, so if the two areas are close enough to one another it wont really matter.

If you think it would be better to skip an organized saturday lunch that would be fine too. That way some can be where ever they want to be. It is totally up to you.

But I will still plan on doing it where ever you tell me to do it.

Don't let this shindig put too much pressure on you, it is not worth stressing out over. Everything will be just fine.

I am going to be just like my little tug and go where ever I am towed !

Steve

PS...Don't worry about being an AH, I deal with them all day long...I am a plumber remember? (And I am a Yankee which kinda makes me an automatic AH)
Tom Drake

Gathering

Post by Tom Drake »

Sorry that I hit a tender spot Bill. That was not my intent. I guess this will probably put me immediately behind leakcheck in the dunking and flogging event.
Let's get back on track as the time draws near. You and Dave are the men !!!!
Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother »

We will all, eat, drink, be merry, and spread joy. :D

MOST of all I want to THANK BILL for all his efforts. FOR SURE.

There are others too, but Bill has been SUPER SUPPORTIVE, and for such I am THANKFUL. :)

Counting the days, WE ARE...... :D

Dale in Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973
upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Let's not forget to chip in to cover some of the expenses that Bill had mentioned awhile back to reserve the Pavilion.
We need to make sure that not just one person is stuck with this ! 8)
leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

PSssssssstt....little secret...it is Vivienne that is doing all the work...Bill is just taking all the credit !!!

Steve

PS..Thanks Bill, I really didnt mean to piss you off (Not that I dont get great joy out of doing that to some people)...but not YOU ! Sorry if I said anythign that upset or offended you and I promise not to do so in the future. I am a polish yankee with a wicked thick skin so I just assume that everyone is like that...my bad !

{ This dunking thing is a one time deal right? Not a daily occurance? }

Bill, if there is anything I can do whatsoever to take the pressure off of you please let me know and I will see if I can help !

Steve
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve,

Just take my stepson, my boss and my bosses boss. :wink: Yeah, that would go a long way.

We're down to 10 days. There are lots of things and ways things could be done. But, at some point you have to pick something and go with it. Will it be perfect? Probably not. But, a good job out the door almost always beats a perfect one that is still in the In-Box.

It had been a long day.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

:wink: ..Wish I could take them all...

Just let me know if there is anything else I can do...

Until then, I am just rushing to try to get a title for my trailer, or a plate or someting...I think I will forget about the HIN for the boat...and will concentrate on gettin gthe beer and everything else ready to go...

It will be somewhat fluid I imagine anyway...but we can all roll with it.

I hope it is somewhat relaxing, I work too hard for it to be just more WORK !! :lol:

IT is almost game time....(speaking of that my SOX are taking a beating!)

STeve
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I didn't think there was a game today -- you gonna watch a re-run?? and see them get beat again?

Return to “Gathering 2007”