Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:52 am 

Including study plans I probably have at least two dozen, many from glen-l and some from others, although I am really hung up on building a Glen-L boat. (Might be hankinson but same thing to me)..

I have to decide whether to "go big or stay at home" as they say.

So it is either the Dyno jet, Squirt, Zip, Malahini or something in that range..or the Vandal or Coastal cruiser or some combination of the two.

Since I have never done any boating I dont know if I will want the speed or just the slow cruising. I guess i do not see too many advantages of speed, but if I could get 30kts out of a displacement hull that would be great.

So what are you leaning toward building??

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:09 am 

:shock: WOW! Steve!

You are talking BIG! A 30 kt. Displacement Hull will be 500 feet long! :lol:

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:12 am 
Bill Edmundson wrote:

Bill

If you are not going to build something,you might as well not build something that will not achieve the goal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:46 pm 

Bill Edmundson wrote:

Bill

Well maybe not quite 500 but thats pretty close. The destroyer I served on whe I was in the Canadian Navy was pushing very close to 400 feet long and would go well over 30 knots...but then again it had two steam turbines putting out aprox 30,000 shaft HP each...so you can do it but it takes a TON of power to do so :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:53 pm 

leakcheck wrote:
So what are you leaning toward building??

Steve

well the first one I'm building is the Rebel. Once that is done(hopefully next summer) I'm going to start the Tornado. That is the boat I really want but I dont want to wait to have a boat in the water so that is why I'm doing a Reb at the moment. This way I can do the Tornado right, not cut corners on the drive train and still have fun in the mean time boating.

I guess its a "having your cake and eating too" kind of thing

If you want to do the intercoastal water ways I would think you would want some of the larger Glen-L designs. I'm not sure even on a calm day I would feel safe taking a Squirt off shore... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:39 pm 

novass

:lol: I was just just using 1.34x(length of waterline)x(length of waterline) :lol:

I did think about military. But...

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:00 pm 

I guess there is no such thing as having your cake and eating it in boat building.

Well, I am going to start from the very first parameter:

1. Must be the largest trailerable boat available.
2. Should be as shallow draft as possible for intercoastal (Ithink they want less than three feet,fully loaded))
3. Should have roomy sleeping quarters for at least two (and room for a separate quilting room) and head and galley etc...
4. I want a flying bridge...just cuz I think they are cool...dont know what the height limitations are for intercoastal.
5. Huge deck on the back for chicken cooking parties. (optional)

That's a start. I guess speed will be what it will be and that's that !

Steve

(Although I am tempted to build the Tahoe 24 just so I can say mine is bigger than Bills) :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:02 pm 

Bill Edmundson wrote:
novass

:lol: I was just just using 1.34x(length of waterline)x(length of waterline) :lol:

I did think about military. But...

Bill

Nobody and I mean nobody BUT the military will have that much power on tap to make a displacement boat do that kind of speed....I was just, in my exaggerated way, agreeing with you and letting Steve know that it would take more power then he could ever have to hit 30knots in a displacement type boat....

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:22 pm 

leakcheck wrote:
I guess there is no such thing as having your cake and eating it in boat building.

Well, I am going to start from the very first parameter:

1. Must be the largest trailerable boat available.
2. Should be as shallow draft as possible for intercoastal (Ithink they want less than three feet,fully loaded))
3. Should have roomy sleeping quarters for at least two (and room for a separate quilting room) and head and galley etc...
4. I want a flying bridge...just cuz I think they are cool...dont know what the height limitations are for intercoastal.
5. Huge deck on the back for chicken cooking parties. (optional)

That's a start. I guess speed will be what it will be and that's that !

Steve

(Although I am tempted to build the Tahoe 24 just so I can say mine is bigger than Bills) :wink: :lol:

Steve, I like these two cruisers and especially the Gung Ho. They are under 30' , should be easily trailerable and are really good looking IMHO.

Islander
Length overall 24'-11"
Length waterline 21'-7"
Beam 9'-8"
Hull draft 17"
https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=396

Gung Ho (Has enclosed head)

Length overall 28'-0"
Length waterline 24'-2"
Beam 10'-4"
Hull draft 19"
https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=394

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:34 pm 

Okay, I already have to change my parameters:

1. The largest trailerable boat without special permits being required for towing over the road. (I think that might be 8'6")

(Of course, many of the plans say not to increase the beam, but I dont think I have seen them say you cannot make it more narrow?) Dang, I dont want to have to become a naval architect.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 pm 

this thread was started and answered by boatbuilders, but it damn sure got wrecked by the Armchair Gallery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:46 pm 

30'I am also looking at the Gung Ho 28'x10'-4" streching it to 30'. in
calif. and oregon the hwy dept issue permits over the phone for boats over 8'-6" Calif charges $115.00 for a whole year and as many tows as you want. A friend tows a 10' wide boat for the last 7 years and has never been cited for being to wide. The gung Ho hull is very stable hull and can do 30 knots with a 5.7L V8. I will change the whole floor plan being careful of top loads and center point. I think every state allows over width towing up to 12' without a pilot car. Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:22 pm 

kens wrote:
it damn sure got wrecked by the Armchair Gallery.

I resemble that remark :oops: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:37 pm 

I am new here but a long time boater. I have used trailer boats to stay on for more than 20 yrs. I would go for the 10' beam for all the room inside. It isn't much more work to build the 10' and trailering is still very doable with the right equipment.

http://www.epoxyworks.com/26/index.html Number26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:10 pm 

OKay, I will do some looking and see if 10feet is about what is allowed, that would be much better.

Sorry kens, didnt mean to piss you off...(okay, maybe I did 8) ) but I thought you needed a break from trying for two months to get one more mile per hour out of that boat of yours...Heck, mine goes bout any speed I want to..how's that saying go again??

Dave, move this to miscellaneous of something if it is better suited there...

Steve

Back to the subject: What pitch prop does Kens need to accomplish whatever it is he is trying to accomplish...lining up his WOTS with his RPMS and his PITCHES...and hopefully his fuel consumption... :?: :?: :?:

Hey.. FIFTY PLUS...that isnt your boat in the archives is it ??? The one named "Fifty Plus" ????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next