Small Start, question on Engine Size

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

lamontjb

Small Start, question on Engine Size

Post by lamontjb »

Hello,

I think this is my second post (first being intro). Been wanting to build a boat for a long time, possible a decade. While I know I'm not ready (don't have a workshop yet), I have been thinking of starting with a set of plans and just working on building pattern pieces out of plywood.

With that said, I'm looking at trailerable Power Cruisers and had a question about the engine size. On the Catalina Express, the notes page suggests that the speed (dependent on the displacement) can range in speed from 14 knots (58 shp) to 47 knots (600 shp). However, on the ships home page, it also says the max engine weight is 850 lbs or 950 with vee drive.

So the question is, what is the most realistic sized engine for this power cruiser that has these limitations? I assume something like the Volvo D3-200 or 220 (200 hp) since it has a dry weight of 740 lbs which I assume would reach about 25 knots. Does this sound about right? If a larger engine is needed, there is the Calypso, but I'm still considering one of these power cruisers.

My question is, am I pairing the right engine with the power cruiser or am I completely off target? Thanks in advance. Just trying to conceptualize the boat before getting plans.

hoodman

Re: Small Start, question on Engine Size

Post by hoodman »

Really depends on whether you want to get on plane or cruise at displacement speeds. If you want to plane, how fast do you want to go and how much fuel do you want to burn.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

danman

Re: Small Start, question on Engine Size

Post by danman »

lamontjb wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Hello,

I think this is my second post (first being intro). Been wanting to build a boat for a long time, possible a decade. While I know I'm not ready (don't have a workshop yet), I have been thinking of starting with a set of plans and just working on building pattern pieces out of plywood.

With that said, I'm looking at trailerable Power Cruisers and had a question about the engine size. On the Catalina Express, the notes page suggests that the speed (dependent on the displacement) can range in speed from 14 knots (58 shp) to 47 knots (600 shp). However, on the ships home page, it also says the max engine weight is 850 lbs or 950 with vee drive.

So the question is, what is the most realistic sized engine for this power cruiser that has these limitations? I assume something like the Volvo D3-200 or 220 (200 hp) since it has a dry weight of 740 lbs which I assume would reach about 25 knots. Does this sound about right? If a larger engine is needed, there is the Calypso, but I'm still considering one of these power cruisers.

My question is, am I pairing the right engine with the power cruiser or am I completely off target? Thanks in advance. Just trying to conceptualize the boat before getting plans.
Have you seen this chart?
https://www.glen-l.com/how-fast/

Return to “Power Boats”