Mist Miss - Jet Powered 145hp - Advice

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Rupert

Mist Miss - Jet Powered 145hp - Advice

Post by Rupert » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi There,

I'm new to this forum, just signed up and so much great info. I am building a mist miss, in hindsight i wish it was the Riveria but the plans weren't available when i started the project some years back now. Just a slightly deeper V and more shape (reverse tumblehome at the front) think thats the right term. I have made a number of changes to mine, a curved transom raked forward, also brought the sheer line in at the transom for more shape to create slightly more of a barrel back. I have fitted a lightweight turbo diesel coupled to a castoldi water jet. One reason for the diesel is that the price of the fuel in the uk at around £1.40 a litre, I can run this on red diesel so much cheaper.

-I have some concerns, namely if i have put enough support in for the force of the jet, how it will handle, if i need to make mods to the hull. (hope not!)
-Also whether the engine in in the right spot to balance the boat out. I have fixed it in now but could be moved a couple of inchs forward.
-Also what is the rough dry weight of the boat, without engine/ jet. I have made from oak and ply. Just so i can get an idea of handling.
-I'm also wondering how the 145hp turbo charged diesel would compare to a petrol.

This is the engine:

http://www.lancingmarine.com/PumaT.pdf

And Jet:

http://www.lancingmarine.com/Castoldi_drive_systems.pdf

I look forward to anyones input, very excited to hear back.

best

Rupert

Oyster

Re: Mist Miss - Jet Powered 145hp - Advice

Post by Oyster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Welcome, FWIW, I deleted your duplicate post. But there should be some folks here that will be able to answer your concerns.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Regarding whether you need to add more support. If you bolted to your motor stringers, you should be good to go.

Paul Kane (aka Hot Rod) has been working on some nifty software for weight and balance. He has a little widget for fine tuning engine placement (+/- a couple of inches from the design placement). You might want to send him a note

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks for getting back, i cant find anyone by the name of Paul or Hot Rod on here, how do i get hold of him ?

many thanks

rupert

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:41 am

Ahh found him, was missing the "Mr" on the members search. Will pm him.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:29 am

Pic of my Mist Miss, i've made some modifications. The transom is now curved and raked forward, I have brought the sheer line in as it travels aft to create more of a barrel back. The Engine and water jet are nearly fitted.
Attachments
IMG_0650.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”