recommendations for an inexpensive HVLP sprayer

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

lstyles

recommendations for an inexpensive HVLP sprayer

Post by lstyles »

HI,
I plan on using system three two part LPU paint on my topsides. I want to get an inexpensive (but not cheap) HVLP paint gun for the job. I have a 60 gallon compressor. Any recommendations?
thanks,
Lori
Lawry (short for Lawrence)

kens

Re: recommendations for an inexpensive HVLP sprayer

Post by kens »

Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

billy c

Post by billy c »

lstyles wrote:HI,
I plan on using system three two part LPU paint on my topsides. I want to get an inexpensive (but not cheap) HVLP paint gun for the job. I have a 60 gallon compressor. Any recommendations?
thanks,
Lori
that System three LPU is VERY fussy about how it is delivered. unless you have great spray equipment, climate control, a booth and a conditioner for the air you deliver you should/will be doing tip and roll. ....guaranteed
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DavidE

Post by DavidE »

Billy C,

Please share your experience with spraying System 3 LPU. I am also shopping for an HVLP sprayer (Fuji Q3), but if it doesn't work as well and rolling and tipping then I'll save my cash for more boat bling.

Thanks!

billy c

Post by billy c »

DavidE wrote:Billy C,

Please share your experience with spraying System 3 LPU. I am also shopping for an HVLP sprayer (Fuji Q3), but if it doesn't work as well and rolling and tipping then I'll save my cash for more boat bling.

Thanks!
sys3 LPU is a water base and evaporation rates of the material varies widely with slight surface temperature changes and material temperature/viscosity fluctuations and control of film thickness, unlike the solvent based cousins that have a much quicker evaporation rate. (must wear proper protection so also thought this as a good alternative) if you have access to a spray booth, temperature and humidity control and conditioned air to the gun you would be able to apply this to large surfaces. i can do a small vertical area 4x8 without a problem and any horizontal surface with no problem without a booth, but the hull was too much area to spray cleanly and ended up with me doing more repairs than the time i was saving by spraying.
...just my mileage on this product though, so worth a try if you already own the HVLP gun.
-Billy

johnbell47

Post by johnbell47 »

I recommend that you google bodyshop101. good paint forum. you know, painting is painting, boats, cars, aircraft. painting is painting.

billy c

Post by billy c »

johnbell47 wrote:I recommend that you google bodyshop101. good paint forum. you know, painting is painting, boats, cars, aircraft. painting is painting.
good to go in with that attitude
"painting is painting" :lol:
you will be in for a little adjustment with the waterbourne LPU when reality sets in if you are trying to spray it in homebaked setups

johnbell47

Post by johnbell47 »

And, to that I would say..the biggest part of painting is to read up on the paint. I have never used LPU's but plan on it. The guys at the big body shop here are using BASF waterbournes with great sucess. and guess what? they are spraying it. I don't know too much about it yet, but I will tomorrow, cause I'm gonna study it up. I like the sound of water clean up. I spent a good bit of change on my Iwata, water clean up sure would be nice! I have been using SPI's clear coat over the epoxy on my canoes for a while, looks very nice and so far is holding up here in the Texas heat. Course this is a 2k 4.0Voc stuff. Kinda pricey, but what good stuff ain't nowadays. I am going to try the Crosslinked Linear Polyurathane that is waterbourne next time. Instead of the crosslinked linear polyurethane that is solvent based. It's kinda like making buscuits on a campfire. Not easy, but can be done. and I do like to learn, dont you?

billy c

Post by billy c »

johnbell47 wrote:And, to that I would say..the biggest part of painting is to read up on the paint. I have never used LPU's but plan on it. The guys at the big body shop here are using BASF waterbournes with great sucess. and guess what? they are spraying it.
hi John-
EXACTLY my point... BIG body shops with the proper spray equipment investment. my neighbor in the autobody biz sprays the water base daily in his booth.
just trying to save the few folks above who wanted to spray and thought that owning a compressor and HVLP had all the components needed to spray something the size of a boat hull the frustration.
BTW
(the LPU tips and rolls beautifully)
-Billy

red

Post by red »

lystyles hey
I know when I say this im going to catch h#@# but if you want an hvlp gun just to try your hand at spraying check
out harbor frieght tools they sale a middle of the road devillabse called finish line and all so a couple of knock off guns that for the money are not that bad you really dont wont to sink300 to500 in a gun you might only use once .

johnbell47

Post by johnbell47 »

I agree. The cheapie Harbor freight guns are amazing for 50 bucks. I have a Devilbiss Finish line also, about 200 with all the orfices, 1.2 through 1.8. This is a better than good gun, it does everything and does it well. The Iwata I have is because somebody else bought it for me, I use it only on occasion, hate to get it dirty. Ha!

lstyles

Post by lstyles »

Thanks for all the comments. My account got inactivated for a day or two so wasn't able to respond until now. I am disappointed that I wont be able to use the sprayer for the system three paint. It is already purchased so I dont want to change now. I rolled and tipped the very bottom and it worked out ok but still was never able to really get rid of all marks. I thought I might be able to do better with sprayer.
Lawry (short for Lawrence)

johnbell47

Post by johnbell47 »

If this is designed for rolling and tipping, it is what it is. I am a freakzoid about brush marks, because I am used to slick, as in automobiles. Brush marks won;t do. I guess they are o.k. on boats. I am not sure why, and am in pursuit of a better way. I know I aggrevate some folks cause I am particular. Can't help it. I have slicked out my last few canoes with auto clear coat and that worked way better than anything else I tried in the traditional sense. I did win best of show in our local art fair with my last one, so I know I am not too far off base. Now, I am doing the Cris Craft Replica I am trying even harder to make it shine, be U.V. resistant and wow the locals. Hope it happens. Maybe not. I have failed before, and I guess I will again. I aint afraid to fail, Im afraid to not try.

johnbell47

Post by johnbell47 »

billy c wrote:
johnbell47 wrote:And, to that I would say..the biggest part of painting is to read up on the paint. I have never used LPU's but plan on it. The guys at the big body shop here are using BASF waterbournes with great sucess. and guess what? they are spraying it.
hi John-
EXACTLY my point... BIG body shops with the proper spray equipment investment. my neighbor in the autobody biz sprays the water base daily in his booth.
just trying to save the few folks above who wanted to spray and thought that owning a compressor and HVLP had all the components needed to spray something the size of a boat hull the frustration.
BTW
(the LPU tips and rolls beautifully)
-Billy
Just to be a poop, let me point out that water bourne and water based are not the same. I gotta do this to you, cause somebody did it to me, sorry! :)

billy c

Post by billy c »

johnbell47 wrote: Just to be a poop, let me point out that water bourne and water based are not the same. I gotta do this to you, cause somebody did it to me, sorry! :)
John, thanks for correcting me on that! had been using the term "water based" for so long that it sometimes slips... :oops:

-Billy

Return to “Painting”