cedar for strips

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Goducks

cedar for strips

Post by Goducks »

Can I use cedar decking from say Lowes or Home Depot and just rip and plane down some 2X6's and use that for cedar strips on a hybrid for the deck? Or does it have to be clear only? Just looking into cedar strip canoe building and trying to gather some info before I jump in.

Oyster

Re: cedar for strips

Post by Oyster »

Goducks wrote:Can I use cedar decking from say Lowes or Home Depot and just rip and plane down some 2X6's and use that for cedar strips on a hybrid for the deck? Or does it have to be clear only? Just looking into cedar strip canoe building and trying to gather some info before I jump in.
I am not following you here. What boat are you building and what are you calling deck? On canoes, breasthooks on both ends are usually solid woods even though some folks do use two pieces which makes fitting the angles easier. Pin knots the size of about half your pinky finger which is norm in a lot of your cedars are not really a big deal and does add some character to varnish woods.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Goducks wrote:Can I use cedar decking from say Lowes or Home Depot and just rip and plane down some 2X6's and use that for cedar strips on a hybrid for the deck? Or does it have to be clear only? Just looking into cedar strip canoe building and trying to gather some info before I jump in.

I believe the preference for cedar stips is Northern White Cedar.

That being said, we are all masters of our own ingenuity and frugalness. I had some left over rough cut red cedar from building my home in 2x material. I cut it down into strips and made a small 6' row boat out of them. It did wonderful. There are a few builds recently posted that also used red cedar but remember if you use this - it has a lot of color variation - A LOT.

When you say cutting down 2x material - well - you can pay for the work to be done for you from the mill or do it yourself. They both come from the round tree log so go for and save yourself some money

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Cranky Badger

Post by Cranky Badger »

As mentioned, red cedar is great for strips. I too had a bunch of rough cut stock left over from trees we cut and milled on the property that I ripped into 3/8 X 1" planking (hehe....I want a Wood-Mizer of my own now, but I digress) and built an 8 1/2' punt out of them that came in at 50 lbs (well, until I put the Dynel on the bottom and glassed it...)

I like using (red) cedar because it dries quickly, absorbs resin well, and makes for a light boat. The fact it's a local wood doesn't hurt either - building a boat from a tree that used to be in your back yard is pretty cool.

Strippers (here, at least) are usually planked in patterns of yellow and red cedar, both being local woods.
Last edited by Cranky Badger on Thu May 13, 2010 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Goducks

Post by Goducks »

Looking to build either a hybrid or full cedar strip kayak. So I was just looking for an easy way to get some cedar to cut into strips. The cedar would be used for the deck on a hybrid. The pieces needed would be 1/4"X3/4", so a 2X6 piece of cedar deck wood would work, as I could rip it down in 1/4" peices and then cut those in 1/2.

galamb

Post by galamb »

Gil Gilpatrick a (famous) strip canoe builder in Maine (and the source recommeded by WEST System as the authority on strip construction) uses red cedar, white cedar, redwood and even (clear) white pine to make his strips and he simply glues his strips together with "white" glue (prefers Elmers).

Of course both the inside and the outside get covered with 4 or 6 oz cloth and epoxy.

If you are doing a strip composite construction (wood simply sandwiched between glass/epoxy) you can pretty much use whatever species you like for the wood (which is totally sheathed and encapsulated such that it's moisture content is stable and it's waterproof - even red oak could be used if you didn't mind the weight) - or do a mix/match with red cedar, pine, mahogany etc to give you light, dark and "somewhere in between" coloured strips.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Western red cedar is the wood of choice for a stripper canoe. In almost all regions its avaliable as trim wood for houses and comes in decent lengths. Its stable and takes epoxy and works great with finish cloth for clear finishes too. Just make sure that you use the special coatings hardener when you seal and glass the cedar. The type of cedar that is normally in people's yards is the aromatic cedars and comes with numerous large knots and short lengths. This is the stuff that granny's cedar chests use.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

I built the deck of my kayak out of clear white pine and redwood from lumber bought at the local store. Milled the lumber to 3/4 thick and cut it into 1/4 strips. Worked great. Now when I do this again, I will apply a bead and cove edge on the strips rather than straight edges.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Return to “Human Power”