Plywood for Huron Canoe

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Tom Clark

Plywood for Huron Canoe

Post by Tom Clark »

In my area, I have Okume marine plywood available and no Douglass fir . Is this ok, and could it be better than Douglas Fir. Also it is available in 1/4 inch and 1/8th in. One eighth seems awfully thin, but it would be easy to handle and light. I plan a natural finish and fiberglassing the bottom. worried that I would be paddling an eggshell.

What do you suggest?

AaronStJ

Re: Plywood for Huron Canoe

Post by AaronStJ »

Okoume is a great boat building plywood, you should have no problem using it.

As to 1/4 vs. 1/8 inch, I couldn't really say. The 1/8 plywood seems rather thing to me, too. But given that it's a fairly small boat that's going to be used in calm conditions, it might be fine. I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Okume is great.What do the plans call for as thickness?

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Hello Tom - Let me share a little with you from my experience

I built the sea kayak. The design called for 1/8 ply for both bottom, sides and deck. I cut 1/8 strips of white oak and redwood and built the deck from the strips glued but the sides and bottom are 1/8 ply.

The entire kayak is fiberglassed.

Yes, I was fearful of the thinness of the ply but once it was stitched and glued in place it became rather tough. The ply is flimsy when laying flat but when you force in the arcs and curves and secure it with an opposing arc or curved piece the strength is profound. Consider a arch of any material. If the material is laid flat is has limited strength from downward pressure. Arch that same piece and it will handle significantly more downward pressure.

I arched my deck rather than use the angular plywood design. Once the sides and top were attached at the sheers essentially anchoring the "legs of the arch" the deck became strong enough for this 250 lb man to stand one with almost no flexing.

So please do not worry about strength. The 1/8 plywood once it is locked in place will surprise you about its strength.

The plans are your guide - they have stood the test of time

Good luck.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Tom Clark

Post by Tom Clark »

thank you all for the reply. I appreciate your comments.

Return to “Human Power”