Starting Huron

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Tom Clark

Starting Huron

Post by Tom Clark »

I am planing to start the Glen L Huron canoe - building form. The plans call for the structure to be secured firmly to the floor. My floor is concrete. They suggest expansion bolts thru the floor cleats. Can somebody elaborate on this? Not Sure what an expansion bolt is and how to secure the floor cleats to the concrete.

Also, once the floor cleats , legs, set up members etc. are securely mounted to the floor, I am not sure how to secure the stem brace (with scabs) to the cross cleats. I guess the stem brace can be blocked in place and centered against the cross cleats with scrap pieces of 2x4 to secure them in place? Please elaborate on this also. I don't think the drawings or plans are very clear on this, or perhaps it is clear to everyone but me, the rookie.

RayB

Re: Starting Huron

Post by RayB »

I'm not familiar with the Huron or its building frame so take this with a grain of salt. I did build my boat on a cement garage floor, however. The boat's dimensions were roughly 18' x 3'; about the size of a large canoe.

Expansion bolts consist of a metal bolt and a lead plug. The plug is set into a hole drilled into the cement. As the bolt is screwed through the cleat and into the lead plug, it expands to form a tight bond and anchor the cleat to the floor.

I wasn't particularly anxious to drill holes in my garage floor (although it wold be easy to patch them later) so I used 2x10 pressure treated lumber laid flat as my floor and the building frame bolted to the 2x10's. Nothing was bolted to the floor. The weight of the 2x10's, the building frame, and the boat was sufficiently solid and stable to withstand any pressures exerted during the building process. I was also able to reuse the 2x10's later as part of a dock I was building.

Ray B.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

I built my boat on a building form on wheels.

As long as you can keep it straight and keep it steady when you need to bend against it, you should be OK.

You could replace the bolts with sandbags to keep the form in place.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Someone else on another thread mentioned using plywood or particle board as a base and fastening the form to it....I think this is a great idea for those that don't want to drill their floors

Not sure what your specific question is about as I've not built this design

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

Bruce Dow wrote:As long as you can keep it straight and keep it steady when you need to bend against it, you should be OK.
I agree. I'm not sure I understand why it's important to make sure the frame is immobile, as long as you can make sure it's absolutely straight and rigid. My squirt frame isn't bolted to the floor so I can move it around my small garage and have enough room to work on either side. I gusseted the corners with plywood scraps and made sure everything was square. I haven't had any issues so far (although I'm not that far into the build). In the couple cases where I was bending something on and the building frame wanted to scoot across the floor, I just put a weight on it (usually my butt) and that solved the problem.

Return to “Human Power”